Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14

Pepper had just finished setting up all the decorations when the guests began to arrive.

Practically everyone was there. She spotted Bruce soon after the first few guests arrived. He was dressed as a doctor. Pepper wasn't surprised.

Soon after, he was followed by Natasha and... Was that Thor's little brother? It was. Natasha and Loki.

She spotted Clint and Thor arrive ten minutes later. Clint was dressed as Robin Hood. That made sense. Thor was himself. Not surprising. She did say to bring a costume, but he apparently didn't care.

Steve arrived with them, he was a soldier. She was definitely not his biggest fan, so she ignored him and waited for Tony.

She wasn't the only one.

Steve talked with his friends, but he looked back towards the door repeatedly. Peggy arrived moments later, dressed as a medieval princess. He admitted it was a lovely costume, she always did know how to sew very well. She made her way over to them as Thor decided to raid the food table with Clint.

Then, in walked the strangest- albeit the coolest- thing Steve had ever seen.

It made its way to Pepper and Steve saw the red and gold mask slide up. Underneath was Tony. Tony was inside that weird metal suit that looked like something out of a movie.

"Tony? What the heck are you supposed to be?" Pepper asked, looking impressed.

"Nothing in particular. To be honest, I found this in my dad's workshop. He'd given up on it a year ago, so I finished it. Minus the whole weapons thing he was planning on putting in." He grinned.

"Wow, you built that?" Steve couldn't resist coming over and joining the conversation.

"Yeah. Well, I didn't exactly do it all myself, he designed most of it. I worked all summer and longer on it." Tony explained.

"What does it do?" Pepper asked.

"Nothing important, it was mostly a sort of flying weapon suit thing. I changed it, I didn't think my dad would be very happy if I was walking around New York in a high-tech military suit." Tony said.

"Is it hot in there?" Steve spoke up.

"No, built in ventilation system. Pretty cool, huh? I even stuck the prototype of JARVIS in it." Steve wondered if anyone had ever invented something that ingenious. The Starks were brilliant, his uncle wasn't lying.

"I gotta go back to my friends. See you later." Steve left when he noticed Pepper eyeing him suspiciously.

"See you." Tony turned back to Pepper.

"What the heck's your problem? Why is he always here?**" is all Pepper wanted to say, but she held her tongue because she could almost guarantee what the answer would be. Instead, she simply started a friendly conversation with Tony and attempted to ignore the whole thing.

-/-/-/-/-/

"You don't have to hang around me if you don't want to." Loki said to Natasha as he noticed her watching her other friends.

"I never said I wanted to, I feel obliged to. Thor's my friend and I should help him out." Natasha replied.

"You know as well as I do that you don't owe him anything. You're simply staying with me because you want to."

"Am not." She abruptly got up from where they were sitting and began leading him towards Thor and the others.

"No, I refuse. I'm sure my brother does not want to see me." Loki stated.