Forgotten Camera | Jack IMAGINE #17

_______________________________________________________ "I promise you that you will love it today!" I helped Jennifer get up. She looked weaker than ever before but being confronted with that almost everyday I managed to hide my concern. For the past year I have been working at a hospital that was founded by the Teenage Cancer Trust organisation. After I finished education I knew that I wanted to so something were I could help people and when I heard that this hospital needed a nurse I was more than happy. Jennifer got up, walked a few metres with my help and sat down in a wheelchair. She still didn't reply and I just wheeled her out of the now empty room. I didn't for sure what was going to happen today. All I knew was that there were a few people coming who want to help the Teenage Cancer Trust organisation. They got invited to look around and to have the chance to talk with a few people who have cancer. The lunch room was packed with teenagers either in wheelchairs but a few still managed to stand without any help. I decided to stay with Jennifer for now. Of course I liked all of the teenagers but it's completely normal to have a few who you like a bit more than others. Jennifer was one of those who I like especially. She was here when I started and she was also the first patient I could take care of. The room erupted in clapping when the door opened and 6 guys stepped in. But my eyes were just on the last two, not only they looked shocking similar but something inside of me went wild when I saw the last guy enter. My eyes were glued on him and I didn't pay much attention to the others even though one of them began to speak. "Hey, I'm Louis" he introduced himself "I'm Harry" "I'm Max" "Hi, I'm Will" my heartbeat got faster when one of the very handsome guys started to talk. "I'm Finn" my eyes got bigger and my grip around the handles of the wheelchair tightened. "And I'm Jack" Jack... Jack smiled and looked around the room. I could feel butterflies in my stomach when his eyes landed on me. I could swear that even if it was only for a few seconds his eyes stopped for just a few seconds. I quickly lowered my head, already feeling my cheeks getting hotter. When I looked up again his eyes were still on me and on his lips there was a cheeky smirk. The minutes passed and they finished their talk. They showed us via a powerboat presentation what they were up to and how they planned to raise money for Teenage Cancer Trust. I listened to every word they said thinking how great this was. But they had to leave again and the day went on like it was a normal working day. _____ Tears streamed down my face and my sobs broke the silence. Today Jennifer passed away. The problem is that I knew that she was going to die. All symptoms were there and something tells me that she knew it as well. I was alone in the room, knowing that his was the only place where I could have a few minutes for myself. It was somewhere around midnight and I had all the lights turned off. Suddenly the door flew open and the light from the corridor brightened up the room. I didn't expect anyone to come here, especially this late at night but I quickly dried my tears and tried to keep myself from sobbing. It looked like the person was trying to find the light switch so I helped and said "It's on the left..." The person stopped with any movement , obviously to expecting anyone to be here but he finally found the switch and the lights brightened up the whole room. From all the persons I expected, he was the last one. Jack was just as surprised as I was but managed to smile until he took a closer look. "Are you alright?" Jack took a few steps towards me and closed the door. Just for a second I asked myself how he could possibly tell what was wrong but then I remembered that I was surrounded by tissues and my eyes were probably really red and puffy. "Uhm... nothing you have to worry 'bout" I forced myself to smile and tried as ok as possible. Jack didn't look too convinced. "And what are you doing here if I may ask?" I tried to change the subject. "I forgot my camera" he pointed to the black Canon which was laying on the other side of the table I was sitting at and which I didn't notice until now. "My name is Jack" he smiled a bit and got closer to me and we shook hands. "I know, I'm Y/N" this time I had real smile. "It's nice to meet you, Y/N! Sorry if I'm annoying, but is really everything ok?" Wow, I must really look horrible... I sighed and decided to tell him about Jennifer. With a look full of sorrow he sat down next to me. I actually didn't want to tell anyone about Jennifer because I now realised that she meant so much more to me. But somehow Jack managed to let me think passed her sickness but he let me remember the good times. When we could talk all day about weird stuff or played board games for 6 hours straight. By the time it was three in the morning, Jack and I were both laughing and we didn't only talk about Jennifer anymore but also about our lives. "This was really nice, thank you Jack" I smiled at him. "No problem!" he smiled as well and for the first time in hours there was a silence between us. "I uhm... maybe you want to do his again? Like maybe I dinner sometime?" the confident and funny Jack was gone and was replaced by a shy and nervous one. I grinned and nodded. He pulled his mobile phone out of his pocket and I typed in my number. "i really need to go now... but I will text you sometime" Jack got up and so did I. We went in for a tight hug and then Jack left. It was only a few minutes later when I cleaned up when I noticed that Jack forgot his camera, again. Looks like I have to give it to him later...