10- Verbal Abuse

Chapter 10 |Verbal Abuse

~~~~~~~~~~~

First hour was a blur. The teacher talked nonstop, giving me no time to confront Victoria about yesterday. Believe me I wanted to, but apparently photosynthesis is more important than alleged assault. I have to wait for lunch until I'm able to accost her, and the wait seemed like millennials.

"What's crack-a-lacking?" Asks Axel, walking up to me similar to the manner he did the first day we met. I had a feeling he might meet up with me in the hallway before lunch now, and I guess I was right. He's my new walking buddy.

It is a little weird he approaches me in such a normal way after what haooened yesterday, but thinking about it what else could he do? Is there really a right way to approach someone after you were all traunatized the day before?

"Nothing much. Feeling better," I lie.

"It's a good thing we got to that guy before he seriously hurt you. Wish we actually would've caught him though," he admits, causing my heart to send a pang of consideration for him.

In response I tap the side of my head onto his arm in a caring gesture, remaining like that for a second before I lift it.

After a moment, one of his big hands gestures to my outfit.

"Anyways, how are you even wearing a long sleeved shirt and jeans? It's like, eighty degrees out."

He nudges me, and the jostle it causes to my sore side causes me to flinch. Thinking the movement was one of surprise, he bellows a low chuckle whilst shaking his head.

"I wasn't thinking," I answer simply, shrugging my shoulders as we walk through the doors of the lunch room.

Eager to depart before he finds out I'm lying, I hurriedly turn to the right to find the table I sat at yesterday. I'm expecting him to leave me and go off to his own table with his own friends when he latches onto my sleeve, temporarily scaring the heck out of me.

"Sit at my table. Taylor's already there with Sam," he requests.

After a brief internal debate, I nod my head in acceptance. Sitting with them shouldn't be too bad anyways. Right? I trust them. After all, they all saved my life.

He let's go of my arm, leading the way over to the crowded table. Sam and Taylor sit at both ends, and two empty spots are available beside both of them.

Axel and I split, me going to the seat next to Taylor and him by Sam.

"Wattup Kirsten," greets Sam, breaking his conversation with Taylor to welcome me.

"H─" I start, however my simple greeting is abruptly cut off as Taylor slams herself onto me, constricting me into the tightest hug her thin arms can muster.

"Kirsten! I couldn't sleep last night, I was so upset. I'm so sorry I took you to that party, I'm such a horrible person. I didn't want this to happen I just wanted you to have a good night after the day you've had and I wanted you to get to know everything and I also wanted to maybe become your friend but I blew it and last night couldn't have gone worse and I'm so sorry, I─"

Clenching my teeth to ignore the pain from the pressure applied to my bruises, I gently nudge her off with a reassuring smile. Her eyes glimmer, close to tears. "Taylor, calm down. None of it was your fault."

"But─"

"Taylor," I interrupt, squeezing her hand. "It's not your fault. Trust me."

"Okay," she reluctantly succumbs, giving me a brief closed lip smile. Her hand squeezes mine one more time, staying like that for a moment before she lets it fall.