9- That Couldn't Have Gone Worse

Chapter 9 | That Couldn't Have Gone Worse.

Pic above is not my image.

How are you liking the book so far?

________

"That's the stupidest oversimplification I've ever heard. She couldn't have," Noah defends his girlfriend, face scrunched up as he thinks out possible loopholes in the situation. He's loyal, I can give him that, although now isn't the best time for denying.

"She had to. Kirsten said the voice sounded familiar. How many more people could've done it?" Carolynn insists, her hands flying to her hair to nervously play with a silky strand as Noah shoots her a look that could kill. "Right Kirsten?" She squeaks.

"Yeah, the voices sound exactly the same now that I think back to it. I probably didn't notice before cause I wasn't in the right state of mind."

"Exactly, you were drugged, you don't even know what you're talking about. And even if your world of fantasy did happen, how does that explain the guy I chased off? What did he have to do with her?" persists Noah, his fists tightening into balls as he tries to stay calm.

Wait, hold up. He fought off this guy?

I hadn't noticed it before, but light bruises line his sharp jaw line, and his knuckles are caked with crimson colored dried blood, obvious signs a fight had taken place. A pang of guilt stabs my chest as I study the mediocre injuries.

Slightly worried, I reach over, grabbing his hand. His fist reluctantly relaxes in my grip, allowing me to position it into the light. Once he sees I'm trying to play doctor though, he twists his hand out of mine.

"I'm fine, he's worse off than I am," he mutters, shoving his hands into the pockets of his khakis so they're out of my line of vision.

We all drown in silence, the question of what to do next looming over our heads. It was an option to call the police, but I don't think Noah was too fond of the idea of calling them on his girlfriend.

So, what better to do than change the subject.

"How did you guys even find me?" I ask, my gaze sweeping between the trio.

"Carolynn heard a crash because she was luckily by the stairs and came to get Axel, Sam, and I," Noah responds.
It's no surprise Carolynn had gotten the three boys, from first glance she seems pretty timid, definitely not the type to investigate something alone. "We got Taylor after I chased the guy away, and then shortly after I told everyone downstairs to go home."

Without any sign as a warning, he then leans closer to me. His breathing becomes ragged as he breathes through his nose, and the veins in his neck protrude in his sudden outrage.

"If you were more careful, this wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't be in the position I'm in now. My girlfriend wouldn't do something like this anyways!" He growls, his tone getting louder as he neared the end of his second sentence.

"You think I wanted this to happen? You think it was my fault she thought it was a good idea to do this?" I retort, my breathing quickening as I stare defiantly into his troubled grey eyes. "You just can't admit the fact that your girlfriend isn't as sweet as you thought she was," I add through gritted teeth, returning the glare he sent at me his way.

"She didn't do it," he huffs with finality, slamming the door shut as he moodily stomps out of the room.

"That couldn't have gone worse," mutters Axel from my left, running a hand through his curly locks as he stares at the absued, innocent door.