Chapter Thirty Seven: On the Road to New Haven

Abe started the horses and we were off. It was a very warm and humid day. The sun shined bright upon us and made it hard to see. Thankfully I had a bonnet to keep me from getting burned. Abe had his hat to block out some sun and help his visibility as he drove, but Jack wore no hat at all. We drove out of town in near silence until we passed the cemetery. That was the reason why I had been here in Greentown in the first place. Will had brought me here, out of the harsh grind of New York and into the loving home of his brother and mother. I thanked him for that. I just wish he didn't have to lose his life in order to do it. He could have done so much with it.
"Goodbye, Will," I whispered as we passed his grave.
Abe and Jack looked at it too. The horses slowed as we passed the cemetery. Jack touched my knee gently. After a few moments of silent staring at the headstone Abe urged the horses on again.
"I miss that good fellow," I said quietly.
Jack was quiet; Abe just nodded.
"It sure is hot today," I changed the subject, "Does it get this hot here often?"
"Yes, 'specially as the year goes on," Abe replied.
"It's beautiful up here. Nice rolling green fields, clean air, it's so refreshing when you're used to choking on city air," I said.
"It's nice, here," Jack said. "I get tired of cities."
"Then it's a good thing you're no longer occupying one," I said a little sarcastically, "But I think everyone would prefer if you were the ones occupying it instead of the British."
"Yeah, I suppose," he sent absentmindedly, clearly still distracted.
"Boston will be strange. The armies left ages ago. It might actually be...quiet. I've never lived there with no violence or acts of rebellion. It might not even feel like home," I thought out loud.
"That such a bad thing?" Abe asked.
"I don't know. There has always been something exciting going on. It will just be different with no fighting. It will probably just be a city. I've never had that before."
"Might be a nice change."
"Perhaps. Perhaps not. It also worries me that it's so far from the army. Ever since the war began it has been in reach. I could bring blankets and food and help of any sort. I could see friends. Now they're in...New Jersey? Are they even still in New Jersey?"
"I don't know. I haven't been keeping up. Have you, Jack?"
"No."
"I don't like the uncertainty," I sighed. "My father's boys are dearer to me than practically anything. I hate not knowing where they are and how they are doing."
"Yes, I'd imagine. I'm sure they're alright though," Abe said. "They're resourceful."
"I know. But things have happened. I've always been there. What good am I at home when there could be some disaster?"
"I think it'll do you good to be home, as well as your parents. Surely it's a disaster without you there. Losing a member of your family like that...." Jack paused. "Yes, I believe it will...do them good..."
I sighed, "There are so many people to try to keep happy. I miss them. I really do. But I doubt they're dying without me."
"You don't know, though," Abe said.
"I know. There will always be things I don't know. I know I need to trust that things will go fine. I just...after all that's happened...I don't trust nearly anyone or anything anymore."
He nodded. "That's understandable."
"But I want to trust. I want to love...and be loved. That just does not seem like an option right now," I said as lightly as I could.
"Well, war won't last forever," Abe said as brightly as he could.
"That's true. I really should not be such a pessimist about it all. That only makes things worse. Making the most of a situation, pulling yourself out, distracting yourself from the bad and washing it out with good, all things that can and should be done," I smiled a little.
"Easier said than done," Jack remarked.
"Does it matter if it's easy? That shouldn't stop me. You boys know full well that joining an army and winning a war isn't easy. It's no thrill ride. It's a harsh reality. But it shouldn't be something everyone avoids when it's going on. Obviously not everyone is cut out for the front lines, but everyone has to do their part somehow. Easy or not," I said a little more brightly.
"Some people need breaks," Abe said. "As we did. And now you'll have yours."
I nodded, "Hopefully good comes out of this."
"It will, Liza," he said. "I know it."
I smiled and reflected for a moment, "I can't believe I'm actually going home to all of them. My mother, my father, I hope they aren't too angry...and my sisters, Eleanor, my lord I've made her carry quite a burden, and Constance, and Dolly, and little Therese. And my brothers, Billy and Ben. Oh I wonder if Benny even remembers me. He was a baby when I left. Even Therese may have forgotten who I am! And I hope my grandfather is still in good health...and I hope he isn't angry with me from leaving my prayers to the wayside...some of it I would rather not know."
"They'll be relieved, above all, I'm sure," Jack said.
"I only hope, but I also don't want to make them upset. I have probably already done that," I sighed.
"Probably."
"I hate making people worried. I never want anyone to suffer. I only ever want to fix things."
"It can't always be helped," Abe said. "Unfortunate as it is."
"I know. I just have been faced with so many opportunities to help since I left home. I won't have that in Boston. No matter what I do, I'll always be letting someone down."
"Don't think of it that way. Think of all the things you're doing to help people."
"In New York."
"Liza, don't beat yourself up about it."
"I know. I'm just nervous. I know going home is what I should do. I just know the possible scenarios that could occur when I get there," I said uneasily.
"Liza. Just don't worry so much. You'll be fine."
I nodded. We rode on for a few more hours until we stopped to give the horses a rest and have a bite to eat. We stopped by a cool stream that ran through a little stretch of woods that gave the perfect amount of rejuvenating shade. I opened up the basket of food that Mrs. Gannis had packed us and divided up the spoils.
"Bread?" I asked Abe and Jack as I pulled out the food. Orla was very clearly hungry as well even though she had been so good all morning.
"I'm alright," Jack said.
Abe glanced at him. "I'll have some, thank you."
I cut him a slice and ripped up some bread for Orla to eat in small pieces. "Would you like anything, Jack?"
"No, but thank you."
"Are you sure? You have eaten today, right? It's dreadfully hot and you've been out in the sun all day. You should at least drink something..."
"I'll have some water, I suppose."
I found a canteen in the bottom of the basket. I went down to the stream and filled it up for him. "Here you go."
"Thanks. You didn't have to fill that up, you know."
"It's more than alright. I intend to pay you both back in some way or another for being so kind as to drive me all the way to New Haven," I said.
"It's no trouble," he said, and Abe nodded.
Orla began to fuss.
"It's alright dear, I have a snack for you as well," I said, handing her the little piece of bread that was small enough for her to eat.
"So where are we now?" I asked.
"About a third of the way through the journey," Abe said.
"Well, it seems like we're making good progress," I said.
He nodded. "Yes, and the horses seem alright, so that's good."
"That's great. Do you leave the farm often?" I asked.
"Not really. Joining the army was basically the farthest we've gone from it."
"You were born on the farm?" I asked.
He nodded.
"That's lovely. What a nice place to grow up," I said dreamily.
"Yes, it was. Always filled with adventures. Of the little sort...nothing too big, but just little escapades that stay with you. And it was nice having cousins...so close..." his smile faded.
"You still have Danny. He still enjoys your company so much. Honestly he would have run back to the army unless you two were staying for a while longer," I said.
"God bless him. I don't know how he's surviving," Jack said quietly. "I don't know what I'd do if..." he paused. "Yes, it's good he's doing alright now. WIth his sketchbook and such."
"I feel bad to leave him. He's been doing better. He's very strong. I just like to make sure he's alright. He's become a very close friend."
"He'll miss you a lot," Abe said. "But he'll be alright. We'll be there for him."
"I'll glad. And I'm so glad he has the drawing hobby now. It's a good way to spend his time so he doesn't just think about his sadness. He turns the memories into beautiful pictures that he actually keeps. He hasn't burned anything in months. I'm so glad," I said.
"He was burning things?" Abe asked in alarm. "What sorts of things?'
"Oh you remember, his letters he would write to Will? He has stopped with those and turned to drawing pictures," I explained.
"Oh, those letters...yes, I recall. It seems so long ago now. Good thing he's taken to...less destructive habits."
"Indeed it is good. That was heartbreaking to watch. I'm so glad he has gotten better. He's still not that naïve, eager, fresh faced boy I met that first night in the tavern, but that's alright. Surely now he has lost so much of his innocence. It's part of growing up. He's still very sweet and courteous. He's just...more mature I guess...more reserved and subdued."
"I hate that he's had to go through all this," Abe said quietly. "Breaks my heart."
"I know. It's terrible what has happened, but he's not letting it break him for the rest of his life. He is still living his life and I can tell he's growing happy again. The drawing helps him focus on the happy memories rather than the sad ones."
"Yes. It's a good hobby for him."
"I know Danny will be alright. He has a lot of strength. I worry about my friend Lieutenant North though. He went into the army way in over his head. Now this promotion and being in charge of other men's lives and they are dropping like flies...he had no idea it would be like this. At least the first few times he saw death he did not take it well at all. I worry that it will eventually become too much," I said.
"It could. You must keep writing to him...keep some light in his life. I'm afraid that's all you can do for now."
"I wish I could bring him home with me. It's about time my parents reconciled with him. I was so angry with them for so long for throwing him out. He could have died out there alone in the condition he was in."
"That's terrible."
"He certainly has not had it easy. Between losing his entire family, going into battle underage and getting shot, losing his job, getting thrown out, meeting some rough revolutionaries, joining the continentals officially, but then losing men...it's a lot for a young fellow of...how old is he now? Eighteen to handle?"
"The things this war has done...." Abe shook his head.
"Makes you wonder if it's even worth it at all," Jack mumbled.
"Of course it's worth it," Abe said.
"We are doing something that has never been done before it seems. It's risky, but imagine the possibilities if we win! We can't afford to lose, I guess, so really winning is the only option. This could be its own country. Not British land. We would owe no taxes to a king across the ocean, no soldiers in our towns and homes, no risk of being killed for saying or doing a minorly wrong thing...I would imagine there would be a new government. New rules, new rights, or really just basic rights we have been denied, or you have been denied."
"Yeah, but at what cost? Look at everything...everything that's happened, everything we've lost..." Jack sighed. "It's not worth it anymore."
"'Course it is. You expect us to turn back now?" Abe offered him the bread again, which he refused.
"Maybe, if it'll save lives."
"Jack, Will was not the first to fall. He won't be the last. The thing is though, from what I have seen from growing up in Boston, there's a chance we are saving more lives by having a war than if we let the British army walk all over our lands. I'll never forget the day when Zeb and I were playing in the snow near the town square. There were other children out as well, you know, having snowball fights. One little boy accidentally hit an officer. The little boy was attacked out in the open and this drew a crowd which started a riot. My father told us to run and as we had only made it but a few steps we heard shots ring out. We looked back to see red on the snow as the smoke cleared. When we got home we found out later that 5 people, including an 11 year old child had been killed and many others wounded. The soldiers who fired received rather mild punishment for the gravity of their crime. The laws almost excused them. No one is safe either way, so why not fight back to put an end to this injustice?"
"You know, Will wouldn't have died if there wasn't this damned war," Jack said shortly. "He'd still be alive right now. And we'd all be fine, living life on our damned farms like we were supposed to."
"We hadn't much choice in the matter of the declaration of war, Jack. At Lexington and Concord the militia had a choice: let the British raid their armory and risk being destroyed, or fighting back and defending their homes and livelihoods. Men died that day too, but possibly more would have if they hadn't fought back. After that it was inevitable."
"I don't care. I don't care about this war anymore, Liza."
Abe looked unnerved, "Jack, just have something to eat--"
"Will you stop with that? I've not much of an appetite."
"Jack," I said gently, cutting him a slice of bread and buttering it, "Everyone has lost someone or something to this war. I doubt there is a single person in all thirteen of these colonies who remains unaffected. Will joined up because he believed in the cause, just like his father before him. He died defending his rights. Yes, we are all left devastated, but his own little brother is so determined to get back to the army, back to the fight, so that he can finish it for him. Finish what Will started. What Will wanted to begin with. It's alright if you don't return to the war, it's not for everyone, but being resentful won't help anything. Will would not have wanted that, would he?"
"We'll never know, will we? 'Cause he's dead. He's not ever coming back, we can't ever see him again, he's just...gone. Have you come to terms with that? Because I damn well haven't. I'll wake up and forget he's gone, and then I remember we'll never see him again...never enjoy anything on this farm again together...it's..." he shook his head. "I'm done with it."
I nodded silently, handing him the slice of bread. "I understand."
"No, you don't."
"I've lost people, Jack. I've lost faith, I've lost my old life, I've lost innocence, I've lost love to this war. But it also forces me to keep the faith and see the big picture in what is going on around us. If you don't want to go back, that's alright. And no, you can't bring Will back, but even if you can't see him, his spirit is still here. Just calm yourself for a moment and you might feel it," I said quietly, taking his hand and gently rubbing the back of it with my thumb.
He pulled his hand away. "I'm going to go stretch my legs a bit, if you don't mind. Won't take long."
"Alright," I sighed, giving Orla another little bit of bread.
He walked away down towards the stream.
"Poor thing," I sighed. "I wish he would eat something. I'm sure he's hot, tired, and hungry as well as being sad."
"Apparently, he's not going to," Abe said.
"I feel terrible. Did I push him over the edge?" I asked quietly.
"He pushes himself over the edge. It's not your fault."
"Is there anything I can do?" I asked, repositioning Orla and giving her a sip of water from the canteen.
"I don't know. I don't think so," Abe muttered. "He probably won't listen to anyone right now."
"Understandable," I sighed. Orla made a noise. "I know," I cooed, "You're only here with us because of the war, and you should have lived with your family, but sometimes divine Providence makes good come out of the horrible. I am glad you are here with me."
She smiled and squealed.
"I'm glad you are glad too."
At least Abe and I ate a little more and packed up to get going again. I could not see Jack from where I was so I sent Abe after him. They came back and retook their seats on the bench. We were off riding again within a few minutes.
"You're better now?" Abe asked quietly.
Jack gave him a look.
"Would you like some water?" I asked him, holding up the canteen.
"No, I'm fine, thanks."
"You look a little flushed," I observed, "And you're not wearing a hat. Please? It's dreadfully hot."
"Alright, fine."
"I'm worried about Orla in this heat too. I would hate for it to hurt her," I said, fanning her with my bonnet.
"Any way I can help?" Abe asked.
"I don't know. I'm just trying to keep her cool but covered from the sun," I sighed. "It's a difficult task to do both."
"I can carry her, if that helps."
"It's alright. You keep driving if you would like. I think she will be fine."
"If you're certain. Try to give her more water."
Jack handed the canteen back to me and I gave her a few more sips. She began to fall asleep and I was more relieved that she would hopefully cool down that way by not wiggling as much. I continued to fan her for what seemed like forever. She was very good, but I still worried about her fainting or overheating.
"I always used to love summer," I said, remembering the thrilling horse races I used to have with the boys on Tad's farm and wading in the ocean on the beach. "What sort of things did you two do growing up?"
"Oh, all sorts. The usual, you know, get yelled at for climbing too high in the tree, almost drown in some dumb lake, constantly race each other around the property and slack off on chores. We lived outside, basically. It was so much more fun than being inside."
"That sounds fun. I only hope this war finishes up soon enough so that when I get married and have children...that is...if anyone will take me...my children will be able to live outside and free like that," I said dreamily.
"Where do you want to live?" Jack asked. "After all this is done?"
"Somewhere out in the country, maybe on a farm. It seems the city the way it has been is not ideal for raising a family."
"Yeah. Not a fan."
"I have so enjoyed staying with your aunt and Danny. Sometimes I forget there are still kind hearted people in the world, and that beauty still exists. Being out here with the green grass and the wind in the trees and the animals all around...it's just so wonderful. I have missed my home and my family, but it will be an adjustment to go back to that crowded little house on South Wharf in Boston."
"I can imagine. What's the wharf at Boston like?"
"It's a narrow little street made of wood mostly...my house was on the very edge so we had some grass out back, but most of it is like a boardwalk that is very wide, it has water on either side and you get a very clear and close view of the harbor where all the ships come in. When I was a child the ships were mostly merchant ships with a few naval ships, but as I got older the war ships outweighed the other ships by a lot. It's still beautiful to walk down to the edge at dawn or dusk and watch the sun go up or down over the water. You can hear waves crashing on the shores of the beaches anywhere you are, and the smell of salty sea water is always there. It's a smell that I never really noticed until I left for New York and I was in the mainland enough to not be able to smell it anymore," I explained nostalgically. "It's one of those things you don't know you love until it's gone."
"Wow," was all Jack said for a moment. "I didn't think I would like anywhere like that, but the way you describe it makes it sound...wonderful."
"You ought to come see it sometime," I said, "If all the soldiers are gone now surely it's even better than I remember. The risk is likely low or gone and maybe my siblings will have been able to go outside for a while now..."
"I will...sometime. Whenever I can figure out a time to make it work. Life's been a bit crazy, though, since the war's started," he sighed.
I had thought a little bit of light returned to his eyes when I talked about my old home. Sadly, his thoughts of the war had sombered him again.
"Do you really think you'll go back, Jack?" I asked quietly.
"I...yeah, it's...someone has to go with Abe, you know?"
I nodded slowly, "It's nice how you want to stay together."
"Yeah, it's...Will and Danny...it's made me rethink things..."
I nodded again, "I see. Yes, you never know when God decides to take you home, so sometimes losing someone makes those you still have left seem that much more dear."
"You think that was God's doing?" Jack asked. "That Will got shot? Because it's seemed hell-sent to me."
"No no...well maybe...I don't know, there really is no way of knowing...but I do believe God has a way of making things better after something terrible happens. And my Ma always used to recite this Irish proverb: Everything will be alright in the end, and if things are not alright, it's not the end," I said quickly, flustered.
"Yeah," he said simply. "I guess."
Orla began to fuss a little.
"Oh shhh, darling. We've still a ways to go. Would you like some water? I'll get you water," I whispered, unscrewing the lid of the canteen.
"Is she doing alright?" Jack asked quietly.
"Yes, she's fine, just hot. There's nothing we can do about that though," I sighed. "Poor thing."
"Yeah. We should probably keep moving, then."
"How much further, Abe?" I asked.
"Probably just a few more hours...two more?" He guessed.
"That's good," I said. "You two wouldn't happen to know any sailors that ship out of New Haven, would you?"
They shook their heads.
"Sorry," Abe apologized. "Wish I could be of more help."
"That's alright. I'm sure I'll figure something out," I said brightly, trying to lighten the mood that was progressively growing darker. "What are your parents like?" I asked, "I have only met them a few times, but they seem very nice."
"Wonderful people," Abe said. "We're very lucky to have parents like them. Always been supportive and smart. We sure weren't easy kids to raise."
Jack smiled. "Yeah, that's for sure. We'd get lectured all the time about running off because of course it was dreadfully dangerous to just run miles away and have no idea exactly how we'd get back...they were right, of course, but we didn't care."
"Well, parents usually know best. Of course I'm talking, the one who has been hiding from her parents for nearly two years, but I've learned rules are made to protect."
"Some of them."
"Obviously the tax laws needed to be repealed...but basic common sense rules shouldn't be broken," I clarified, "I'm not trying to denounce the revolution."
"I know," Jack said. "I'd take taxes over this, at this point."
"Really?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "I mean obviously there is more to it than just taxes but..."
"I'm tired of it," Jack said shortly, "is all."
"And you're going back?"
Jack glanced at Abe. "Yes."
"I mean, I guess there really is not much that can be done even as a civilian to get away from it. I mean just the fact that we have Orla...but it doesn't seem fair for you to put your life on the line so boldly if you do not want to, Jack."
"I do want to!" he snapped. "I mean--I'm just going back like how it was. Also, shouldn't we be leaving? We're wasting time."
Abe sighed. "Alright."
"When do you plan to go back?" I asked.
"Soon," he said vaguely.
"Well, when you do, keep an eye on my boys for me. I haven't heard from them in a while. If you see them, tell them I've gone home and that is to where they should write," I said.
"I will," Abe said. "I'll make sure they do."
"And I know this is a given, but take good care of Danny. He's become very dear to me and I know it will be hard going back without Will, if he does go back."
"Of course. We'll make sure he's alright."
"Thank you, I know you will. Will Mrs. Gannis be alright on her own if he leaves? What is to become of her?" I asked.
"I...don't know."
Jack frowned. "Danny shouldn't go back."
"But he wants to. I'm not sure how much control we have over that."
"What are your true, personal motivations for going back to the war? Is it even about the original cause anymore?" I asked.
"'Course it is," Abe said matter of factly. "I--"
"Can we please get going? This trip will take forever at this rate," Jack mumbled.
Abe glared.
"The horses are going at a fine pace, Jack. They are only mortal beings," I said quietly.
"Then maybe they should step it up."
Abe scoffed. "Alright, why don't you tell them that?"
"Or you could take a drink and put a hat on," I cooed, mainly to Orla as I adjusted her but it was also aimed at Jack.
Jack rolled his eyes.
"The sun can make you tired and cranky," I laughed, again, mainly to Orla, but it could have been taken by Jack too.
"Yeah, well...I like it," Jack said, in a tone clearly meant to be obstinate.
Abe laughed a little.
"Would you like to hold her, Jack? It may do her some good to move a little more. I'm sorry she's a little hot and sweaty," I said, hoping she might cheer him up. She was already grabbing at his sleeve.
"That's alright. I don't mind."
I handed her off and she sat quietly for a while. Then after a few minutes she clearly got bored and decided to see what would happen if she grabbed one of his fingers and put it in her mouth. I immediately started laughing but tried to hide it.
"Ah! No, no, don't do that...my hands aren't clean," Jack mumbled.
She had a pretty good grip on him and was not ready to give up.
"You're going to get sick," he said disapprovingly.
"Ah!" She exclaimed, not letting go. Instead she looked up into his eyes and flopped against him. "Ooooohhh!" She did not seem to sense his negativity.
He smiled faintly. "It's really not a good idea."
She let his finger go and he turned her around to face him. He lifted her up near his face. She put her little hands on either side and pressed in with all of her might, distorting his face into a very comical expression. At that I just lost it and could not stop laughing. Abe looked over and laughed too.
"How do I look?" Jack asked.
"Hilarious."
Orla squawked in agreement.
"See, how can you be down when she's around?"
"I'm not down," he muttered.
Orla was still in that stage where babies can still not support their heads very well, and she let her golden and curly head rest on his shoulder, continuing to giggle and babble into his ear.
"No, I am doing just...fine," he said decidedly.
"Good," I smiled, watching Orla pat him on the back repeatedly.
He smiled faintly.
The next few hours seemed to fly by and before I knew it we were pulling into the little port city of New Haven, Connecticut. Suddenly the anxious feelings returned and I began to feel even hotter than I had the entire day. We drive to the harbor and watched the sailors as they loaded their ships with cargo and god knows what else. I scanned the port for anyone who looked trustworthy. Anyone who looked like military would likely not be headed to Boston, but perhaps some merchant ship would.
"Do either of you know of any businesses that correspond with Boston?" I asked.
"I don't," Jack said. "Sorry. Abe?"
"No, sorry."
"Alright. Will you two come with me to ask around?" I asked nervously.
"Of course!" Abe said.
Getting off the wagon was quite difficult because my legs were shaking so badly. I didn't trust myself with Orla, so Jack held her until I was on the ground.
"You alright?" he asked.
"Yes, just a little worried," I said, taking Orla in my arms. "But there's no reason to be. Over there those men look pretty official, as if they work for a company. Maybe we should start there."
"Yes, that's a good idea. Do you want me to hold Orla?"
"No, I've got her," I said. "Excuse me, gentlemen?"
One turned around to address me. "Yes, Miss?"
"Where are you headed?"
"Philadelphia. Why do you ask?"
"I am looking for passage to Boston. Do you know if anyone around here is headed up there?"
"I believe that merchant ship over there with all the blue sails is headed north," He said.
"Oh. Thank you, good sir."
"You are welcome, Miss. Best of luck."
We went over to the ship with the blue sails. I grew even more nervous.
"Blue sails," Abe commented. "Tacky."
Jack scoffed. "What do you know about sailing?"
"Enough to know that that's tacky."
"I'm sure they really care about that."
"Perhaps it is a very flamboyant bunch," I suggested, "But we best not judge them for their sails."
We approached the sailors who were about to board this ship.
"Pardon me, gentlemen," I said, catching their attention.
"Yes, Miss?" One answered.
"Are you headed to Boston?"
"Yes, as a matter of fact."
"Would you be willing to grant passage on your ship to my baby and me?"
They exchanged glances.
"I can pay," I spoke up.
"Well, our ship is not a passenger ship, but we could take you to Boston..."
"Perfect. How much would you like?" I asked quickly.
"10 pounds?"
This sounded like a lot, but I knew I could pay it. "Of course," I said, pulling out my bag. I counted out 10 pounds and handed it to him.
"Thank you. It will be a few minutes until we leave."
"Thank you, sir."
So here I went. I turned to Jack and Abe, tears in my eyes and my hands were shaking while I held Orla.
"So...so I guess this is goodbye," I said shakily. "Thank you for always being so kind to me and putting up with me ever since I met you that night at the tavern. You and your family have shown me what a family is again and I would not be doing this if it were not for your example. I only hope I have the strength to make it home and face my family."
"Putting up with you," Abe repeated. "Liza, it's never been putting up with you. It's been a privilege to get to know you, and I'm so grateful for all your help. Especially with Danny. Best of luck to you, meeting your family all over again....that takes courage."
"You made the right decision," Jack said. "And I'm so glad. Like Abe said..thanks for everything. It's really been grand. Have fun at your wharf, Liza. I'll miss you."
"I'll miss you too. You both have helped me so much, and Orla. I'll write you as often as I can and I expect responses. Keep an eye Danny and Isaac and Zeb, but above everything else keep yourselves safe. Be smart and fight bravely but sensibly. This war will be over someday and then we'll all be able to go back to our peaceful lives. Take care of yourselves, alright?"
"We will," Abe said. "Thank you, Liza. And that goes for you, too. Don't take any risks."
"I won't," I laughed, "I'll be careful. I promise. Goodbye, Abe. Goodbye, Jack."
"Goodbye," Abe said quietly.
"Goodbye," Jack said. "And goodbye to you too, Orla."
She smiled and let out a squeal.
"She says goodbye too," I laughed. I hugged Abe and then moved on to Jack. "Hey," I whispered, "You know you don't have to go back to that terrible war if you don't absolutely want to. Make sure you are fully in with your whole heart. It's...it's clear it weighs heavily on you and I hate to see you, well anyone, in pain."
"I'm fine, Liza," he mumbled. "I'll be alright. You just make sure you get home fine."
"I will. You be safe too, Jack, alright?" I said, pulling him into a hug.
"I will. Thanks."
I looked back at the sailor waving for me to get on the ship.
"Goodbye," I said one last time. And at that I hurried off to get on that ship before I could doubt and change my mind. They waved as we pulled out of the harbor. The prodigal daughter was coming home.

To be continued.....