Chapter Twenty Eight: Short Hills, Short Life

By now it was June. Maeve had healed and had grown accustomed to living just outside the tavern. Mr. Walden even let her in from time to time. However, at this point she was perfectly content staying outside. The weather was beautiful and not a lot of people wanted to shut themselves up in the tavern, myself included, so Audrey invited me to spend some time with her in her courtyard. There was a wide assortment of flowers and plants all around and the warm wind wafted the sweet perfume through the air. However, there still was a sense of longing in both of our hearts. I was missing all of my friends in the army, wishing they were here to enjoy the lovely weather with me. Audrey was missing someone too. Someone she had come to fall quite in love with through romantic letters.
"I wish I could have Will here," She sighed. "Show him the flowers, take a stroll through the paths together. It would be so romantic. Wouldn't it?"
"I wish they would all come home. That would be a lovely time with Will. Have you written him lately?" I asked.
"I sure have. I mailed a letter just yesterday. It's been six months since the ball and I haven't seen him, but our letters make it seem like he is right here. You've seen him though. How is he? Is he healthy? Is he doing alright?" She asked me.
"Yes, he's a strong young man. Never sick no matter how cold it is, always willing to fight, always looking out for his brother and cousins, he seems just about perfect," I laughed.
"I know. I don't feel like I deserve him sometimes. His letters are so wonderful," She smiled dreamily. "Do you think we could get married eventually? You know, after the war?"
"I bet if you really wanted to. Maybe after some more time together, but you two seem to get along quite well," I smiled, "I bet you would have a beautiful family."
"I bet we would too," she blushed. "I've always wanted just a few children, maybe three or four. I don't care if they're boys or girls, just children. I love children."
"You would make a great mother, Audrey," I said.
"You really think so?"
"I know so."
She smiled and sighed. "If only this war would hurry up and end. I would kill to see Will's face again."
"I wish I could bring him back with me next time I see him. I'm going to New Jersey in about a week. I'll tell him that you want to see him," I offered, "And I'll take any letters or things you want me to."
"That would be wonderful!" She exclaimed. "Then he would probably get the letter more quickly."
"It sure would," I said.
A week later Will was the one they sent to pick me up so that I could meet with Ben.
"Morning, Liza. Are you ready to go?" He asked when he showed up in the tavern.
"Oh yes, just a moment," I said, taking off my apron and wiping my brow. I was back to looking scrappy and more like a barmaid rather than Miss Clara Doe, but that was part of the cover. "Now I'm ready, but you ought to say hello to Audrey while you're in town. Just a few minutes?"
"Well, you couldn't stop me," he laughed. "We'll stop in right now, if you think that would be alright..."
"She would love it, and it's not like she leaves the house much," I laughed.
We took the horse down the street and arrived at Audrey's front door. He knocked and the door was open by Tia, the slave who had done my hair for the ball.
"Mornin', Miss Liza. Here to see Miss Audrey? And...who are you?" She asked Will.
"Private William Gannis of the..."
Tia's eyes widened and she gasped.
"Is something the matter?" Will asked.
"No, no, just...she's been dyin' to see you! I'll call her down here. Miss Aud-"
Audrey didn't even need to be called. She ran up and Will caught her up in an embrace.
"Come on in an I'll leave you to whatever..." Tia laughed softly.
"I missed you so much! How have you been? Alright?" Audrey asked as Will set her down.
"Well, I've been great since I've been getting letters from you so often," he told her with a smile. "It's much better to see you in person, though."
"I like seeing you in person better too! Oh and I almost forgot! I was going to send this letter with Liza when she went, but I might as well just give it to you now. You can read it later," she laughed, handing him a envelope of light pink stationery with red sealing wax. "I scented it with lilac as well, just to remind you of me."
Will took the envelope and tucked it into his jacket by his heart. "I'll read it later. Thank you, Audrey."
"You are so very welcome. You should come in and have a cup of coffee. Rest for a bit. Surely you had a long journey from camp," She said, leading him by the hand into the parlor.
"That would be lovely, thank you. And how have you been?"
"I've been well, life is rather dull, but letters from you and visits from Liza add a little bit of thrill," she said with a smile. "Maggie!" She called.
A young slave woman ran in, "Yes, Miss?"
"Would you get these two each a cup of coffee please?" Audrey asked politely.
"Of course, Miss," Maggie said, hurrying back to the kitchen.
"She's a dear. Anyway, have you fought any big battles lately?" Audrey asked.
"Not terribly big battles. Just terribly dull, you know, same thing day after day. But we'll finish it soon, I know we will," he said firmly.
"That's wonderful. I know you are from Connecticut, but is there any chance you would come to live in New York after the war?" She asked.
"Well, I couldn't exactly leave you here, could I?" He smiled. "Of course, if that's what you'd like."
"I would love that. Then we could see each other all the time instead of just at these long intervals and relying on the slow letters to speak to each other," she said, "I do hope this dreadful war is over soon."
"It will be," he told her. "I won't be fighting this war forever."
"I certainly hope not. My father has given a large sum of money to the army to benefit training and uniforms and such, but with all the losses he feels it's going to nothing. I think he is very wrong about that, as long as you say things are going well," She said pleasantly.
Maggie came back in with our coffee on a tray with cream and sugar. "Here you are, sir and miss."
"Thank you, Maggie," I said politely.
"Thank you," Will echoed. "It's certainly not going to nothing. It's what keeps us going."
Maggie left the room quickly and Audrey nodded happily. "I'm sure. I admire you soldiers so much. You have to be so strong to endure all that you do. This winter I was scared to death that you or one of your family would get dreadfully sick out there in the cold!"
"It's only through God's grace we didn't. I don't know how we survived, if I'm being honest."
"Jack did get a terrible cold that lasted nearly all winter if I remember correctly. But he's better now," I said with a sigh. "You all scare me to death everyday."
"There's no need to worry about us," Will assured me. "Also, Audrey, I was thinking that you should come to visit our farm once the war is over. If you'd like to, I mean."
"I would love that! I've been a city girl all my life but I do adore the country," she said excitedly. "And the soil would be our own, not the king's. Oh just imagine that!"
"You won't have to imagine it. I'm sure it can't be too much longer until we win."
"And what a day that will be!" She said hopefully.
I looked at the clock and it struck 10 o'clock in the morning. I hated to leave, but it would be quite late when we arrived at camp if we did not leave soon. "Will," I said quietly, "We ought to get going."
He glanced at the clock. "Just a few more minutes."
"Alright," I said.
"I really hate to keep you," Audrey said worriedly. "As much as I hate to see you go..."
Will took her hand and kissed it. "I know. I'll see you soon, I suppose. And I'll write you tonight."
"Alright," she said with a smile. She stood up and pulled him into a hug, "Goodbye, Will. Be safe."
"Of course. And you, too. Even though you don't have the habit of running into danger--" he glanced at me. "I still think I should say it."
"I'll stay out of trouble," she laughed, "As long as I have you waiting on me."
"As long as I live," he promised.
And with that we left and mounted the horse. We rode steadily out of New York City into New Jersey and to the camp at Middlebrook. It took hours and hours and it was almost dark by the time we reached the camp. It looked like I would have to spend another night. The men had an idea of who I was by now, probably the sister of Will and Danny or Abe and Jack. As long as they thought that and not anything else I was fine. There was still a chance they thought I was a prostitute, like the first time, but even that was alright as long as they did not know I was a spy. Ben liked his ring to be that secretive. I needed to meet with him right away, so I snuck into his tent and he began his usual check in.
"Have you been to any of those officer parties lately?"
"No, haven't received an invitation."
"Well, you need to get yourself invited soon. Washington plans to march tomorrow and engage in a battle that at least you have brought us no information about," he said shortly.
"Surely you have more informers than I, Ben?" I said nervously.
"Yes, I'm not blaming you, just trying to remind you how important the information you get for us is. You were a great help at Bound Brook, but have not been much help since."
"I've been busy, I'm sorry. I will try harder, I promise."
"Good, now you are dismissed. Don't let yourself be seen too much, again, women are not welcome here," He said seriously.
"Yes, sir. Goodnight," I said with a curtsy and headed to Abe, Jack, Will, and Danny's tent. "Evening, fellas."
"Evening," they all said.
They were all packing up their things, polishing up their boots, preparing to leave in some way. "What are you all doing? You aren't leaving are you?" I of course had an idea that they were part of the group going to battle tomorrow, but I couldn't show that I knew that.
Danny nodded. "We'll be busy tomorrow."
"Battle?" I asked.
He nodded, then looked like he regretted it. "I mean, we shouldn't technically tell you anything, but--"
"It's fine, Danny," Abe interrupted. "Just don't go about telling anyone you meet."
"I won't, in fact I won't be seeing anyone before you go. It's alright if I stay in here tonight, right?" I asked.
"I suppose. Don't know if it'll be very comfortable, we haven't much and much less to share with you, but you can use what you find."
"That's alright. We made it through the winter cold, we can do summer," I laughed.
"Let's hope so," Jack said.
They made sure I got supper and stayed out of sight, and soon enough it was time for everyone to try to get a good night's sleep before the battle tomorrow. Everyone in this tent was rather restless.
Will picked up Danny's canteen. He shook it and unscrewed it. He unscrewed his own and poured a bit of his water into it.
"What are you doing?!" Danny asked, confused.
"You need a full canteen for tomorrow," Will shrugged.
"Well, so do you. You're older than me."
"I'll get more for you all tomorrow," I offered. "I saw a spring on our way in."
"You don't have to do that," Will said.
"I want to though," I said with a smile.
"If it's not trouble. Thank you, Liza."
"I'll go early," I said. I looked to Jack who was drinking from a flask. "Is that a good idea the night before a battle?"
"How else am I supposed to prepare?"
"Well, you don't want to accidentally get yourself drunk, Jack," I said nervously.
"If this made me drunk then I wouldn't be drinking it. I'm not stupid."
"She's right, you know," Abe put in.
Jack shrugged.
"Maybe water is a better choice?" I suggested.
"I won't have any water until tomorrow. The only water we have is Danny's and Abe's."
"Do you want some of mine?" Abe asked.
"No."
"Alright."
"Abe, Jack, I've never asked you about your family. They also live on a farm in Connecticut?" I asked.
"Yeah," Jack said. "Right by Will and Danny's."
"You have two parents, right?" I asked, a little nervously.
Jack nodded. Abe silently took the flask from behind him and poured some water into it before setting it down behind him in the same place.
"They let you join up? You didn't run away?" I asked.
"Yeah. Took some convincing but they believed in the cause just as much as we did," Jack replied. "Pity Will and Danny's parents weren't the same way."
"Well, it's understandable," Abe muttered. "Danny should not have necessarily come..."
"Can we not do this again?" Danny interrupted.
"You're old enough now. That's really what matters," I said.
"Still doesn't mean that--"
Danny's glare cut short what Will was going to say.
"I'm sure your mother is extremely proud of you even if she didn't really want you going. She just didn't want either of you getting hurt, I'm sure," I said.
"I know," Danny said.
"But because of that you have to be so careful," I said gravely. "I know you will though."
Jack grinned, about to say something, but Will silenced him with a look.
"Another joke about my name and I'll shoot you five times."
Jack was silent a moment. "I will be sure not to joke about it."
Will stood up. "That settles it--"
"Settle down," Abe interrupted with a smile almost identical to Jack's. "You'll have plenty of time to fight tomorrow. Just not each other."
"We ought to go to sleep. Better be well rested for your battle," I said.
"I will be sure to sleep, then," Jack said.
Will looked up.
"Great," Abe said quickly. "Goodnight, Jack. Will, you too. And Danny, especially. We can't stay up."
"Goodnight everyone," I said, laying my head down on the my pillow on the ground.
"Goodnight," Abe said.
"Night, Liza," Danny yawned.
Jack and Will said their goodnights as well.
We all went to sleep, Will making sure Danny was properly tucked in. I woke up earlier than all of them and decided now was a perfect time to get the water. I found an empty bucket and took it with me to find the spring. The early morning light was enough for me to see it. It was a long walk, but I made it and began to fill the bucket. Everything was quiet and still, until I heard the distant sound of drums.
I tensed up and looked around. I could not see any army just yet, but I knew I better hide. I was near some woods, so I went and hid behind a tree. I looked out and saw a mob of red coming from far away, but closer and closer every moment. I looked the opposite direction and saw a sea of dark blue approaching in the same manner. Yes, this was short hills, the very place the battle would be fought, and here I was. Too bad the boys couldn't get their water. This was the least of my worries now! I was basically on the battlefield! I hid deeper in the woods and waited for the two sides to meet. They stopped in front of each other and presented their arms. I had seen this before many times. The British were all in perfect synchronization, the Continentals a little sloppy. I felt sick already. I hated what would come next. I heard someone say the words "Take aim!"
I closed my eyes and covered my ears.
"Fire!"
I could hear the eruption and banging of gunfire all over behind me. I decided I best keep my wits about me and look for a plan to escape this situation instead of being a sitting duck in the woods. I peeked out from behind the tree and tried to see the chaos through all the smoke. I watched for quite a while before I decided to take my water and run to another place. I found another tree further back on the continental side. I was able to make out a few faces, Isaac's and Danny's. Isaac was yelling something to him but I could not tell what it was. Danny must have been able to tell though because he ran further up towards the British side.
"No! No! No!" I whispered under my breath. "Why send the young one forward?!"
The roaring of the gunfire rang in my ears. It sounded way too close to me. Indeed it was. I heard a musket go off just feet from me and something went straight through the side of my skirt. I looked down and there was a smoking hole in it. I had to get out of here! I peeked out quickly from behind the tree. I saw Danny take aim to fire at the British line.
"Don't miss! And don't get-"
I heard two shots go off right in front of him. He put his hands up to cover his face and someone miraculously jumped in front of him and fell to the ground with a loud cry. Danny uncovered his eyes and looked down and let out a scream himself. They were close enough that I decided I could try to run to him. I set the water down and made a run for it. Danny took the soldier's arm over his shoulders and struggled to pull him away from the battle. I ran to help him only to stop in shock at who he was dragging. It was Will! I did not hesitate a moment longer. I ran and grabbed his other arm and helped Danny pull him into the woods a safe distance. We laid him down as gently as we could. He was bleeding heavily from his abdomen and his left shoulder.
"Oh my god," I breathed worriedly. "I'll grab the water..."
"Are you alright?" Danny asked. His entire body was trembling. "Will?! Will! Are you--"
"I'm alright," he breathed. "Fine, Danny, don't you worry..."
"You're bleeding--"
"Of course I'm bleeding. I'm shot."
"Right, of course, I--" Danny burst into tears. "Why did you do that?!"
"Shh, Danny, it's alright. I just need some..." he coughed. "Some water, is all..."
I ran back to them with the bucket and pulled out my handkerchief. I wet it and pressed it to his stomach. "Oh my god...Will..."
"He's fine," Danny stammered. "He's fine, isn't he?!"
"Shh," Will said. "Danny, it's alright..."
"You're fine, aren't you?!"
"Don't speak, Will. Please..." I whispered. My hands shook as I tried to apply pressure.
"Alright. We're going to get you back to the tavern and then you can stay there like I did. When I was shot. Right, Will?" Danny's voice was trembling so much it was barely understandable.
"Danny...." Will began to cough again, and this time he coughed up some blood.
Danny turned to me, his face stark white. "What's wrong with him?!"
"Danny..." I whispered helplessly, "I think the musket ball may have...I...I'm not sure I can..."
"SHUT UP," he snapped, and I flinched. "WILL, you're FINE. Right?! Look at me! Look, Will, I'm right--right--I'm right here..."
"Danny," Will whispered. "Can you get...can Liza get Jack and Abe over here?"
"You don't need them," Danny sobbed. "You're fine, you can wait, you can...stop it, stop it, look, we're stopping the bleeding....Will. Will!"
Will breaths were slow and heaving. "Write....write home for me...and please...wr...write to Audrey....will you...I never got a chance to...her letter...it's in my pocket..."
"You can read it later, Will," Danny sobbed. "You're fine..."
"Danny, get it please," I whispered, my voice trembling.
Danny's hands were shaking so badly that it took almost an entire minute for him to retrieve the letter. "Don't make me read it, Will," he sobbed. "I can't--"
"Please," he murmured.
"'Dearest...Will...'" he started, and shook his head vehemently. He pushed it into my hands. "I can't read it, I can't."
"Please keep applying pressure, I'll read it," I whispered. "'Everyday I do not see you feels like an eternity. I count the days that pass until you come home. I long to see your face everyday when I awake and remember the dances we shared at the ball. I wish we could dance everyday. I pray that you keep yourself safe in battle. I admire your courage and strength so much and hope it serves you well. I miss you terribly and worry everyday that something might..." I took a shaky breath and struggled to keep reading, "happen to you. If anything happened to you I know I would surely die of a broken heart. Our love has just begun and I hope once you win the war we will be able to have it more fully. I know even now I want you to be my husband and the father to my children, and I hope you feel the same way about me. I love you dearly and hope you come see me soon. With love, Audrey." I wiped at my eyes quickly and returned to tending to the wounds.
"I would've married her, you know," he murmured.
"You will," Danny sobbed.
"Pr...promise me something?"
"Yes, what?"
Will flinched suddenly. "Don't...don't be resentful, whatever you do....don't do it out of anger..."
"Wh--what is that supposed to--"
"Jack and Abe...I wish..." he coughed, and his face went paler. "I wish we had...had more time...and Audrey...please, Danny--" he coughed again. "Tell them...."
"We'll get them. We'll get them for you," Danny said through his sobs. "I'll go right now, I'll....Will?" He grabbed Will's hands. "Will?!"
I ripped a bit of my petticoat and wiped the blood from his mouth with it. I felt his pulse on his neck. I was slow and unsteady. "He's losing...he's losing too much blood..." I breathed, frantically ripping more of my petticoat to make proper bandages. I tried to gently wrap the wounds but they were difficult to treat.
Danny kept shaking his brother. "Will! Will, come on!" He covered his mouth. "Just...please...say goodbye...."
Will did not stir.
Danny shook his head vehemently. "No, no, no, no, no. He can't--he's--no--"
I took a deep breath and felt his neck again. There were a few slow pulses, a beat, a beat, a beat, and then it stopped. I jerked my hand back. I tried to feel for a pulse on his wrist but there was nothing. I tried for his heart itself, but it was silent still. All it did was soak my hand with blood.
"WILL!"
Danny's screaming faded out and all I could hear was the beat of my own heart in the shock.
Danny collapsed to the ground, holding Will limply in his arms. I felt tears fall down my cheeks as I looked at them. Poor Danny had lost his brother, his closest friend for his whole life, one of the few family members he had left. My heart broke for him at that moment. It broke for Abe, Jack, his mother, their parents, and especially for Audrey. Her first love, robbed from her in an instant.
I looked behind Danny and saw the battle, many men bleeding and falling. The hearts that would break for them too. I soon felt myself crying as well, then looking to Will whose eyes were still open. I closed them carefully and pulled Danny into an embrace.