Chapter Twenty Four: Belle of the Ball, Part II

We all got out of the sleigh and went in while Zeb parked the sleigh and unhitched the horses. It was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. Women in giant dresses, elaborate powdered wigs, and elegant dancing all around the ballroom. I had never been at such a stately place, I almost forgot all manners.
"Holy cow! Danny, look at all this! What am I doing here?!" I whispered excitedly.
"I'm asking myself the same thing," he murmured. "This cane really feels stupid."
"No one can even notice you're using it," I said.
"Yeah, I hope. I just feel out of place. Look at Abe and Elaine, they fit right in! And Audrey and Will! And you, and even Jack!"
"You look no different, Danny," I assured him.
"I need your advice," Jack said to Danny and me. "Should I call off the bet? Or should I just trip Abe or something so he looks dumb and the Schuylers won't dance with him?"
"Don't play dirty," I laughed, "But surely they are quite busy, maybe we won't dance with all of them."
"He's damn well going to try if it means proving me wrong."
"Serves you right," Danny laughed. "You and Abe and your dumb bets."
"Just do what you want," I said, "I don't know a thing about gambling."
Jack raised his eyebrows. "Well, you do work in a tavern. Alright...now it's time for me to pretend like I know what I'm doing here. I'm going to go find food."
"Have fun," Danny scoffed.
Zeb came back in and took me by the arm. "Ready to go in?" He asked.
"Sure," I said.
We walked in in a stately manner. I felt very out of place, but I pretended I belonged. I looked across the room and saw Isaac standing with Margarita Schuyler. She looked lovely tonight, sure enough in an elegant buttercup yellow dress.
"Wow," I whispered to Zeb, "She looks gorgeous."
"Not as gorgeous as you. That fool doesn't know what he's missing," Zeb whispered back.
I looked over and saw Audrey and Will talking happily. They really seemed to enjoy each other's company. Danny hobbled back along the side of the room, trying to go unnoticed.
"Shall we dance?" Zeb asked.
"Absolutely," I said excitedly.
He took my hand and led me to the dance floor. We joined the dance that was going on already. It was a pretty simple waltz, so we caught on quickly. We glided across the floor with such grace and lightness that it didn't even feel like I was on the ground anymore. Once the dance was over we caught up with Danny and Jack at the punch table.
"How are you doing?" I asked.
"This punch is heavenly," Jack informed me.
"It's good," Danny agreed, slightly less emphatically.
"Seen anyone you want to ask to dance?" I asked.
"I'm not asking anyone," Danny said. "Not with this cane. I'm fine just having punch all night, I guess..."
"Are you sure you don't want to dance?" I asked. "I-I could if you really wanted to..."
"No, it's fine. Perhaps later. But then I'll ask you."
"Danny, just so you know, I am a terrible example," Jack said, getting another glass of punch.
"Jack, you aren't injured...you could ask someone any time," Zeb said.
"Yeah, or I could save myself the embarrassment of being rejected," he laughed.
He smiled slyly and positioned my arms and Jack's into a dancing position.
"Go!" He whispered, slapping him on the shoulder and pushing us to the dance floor.
"Damn it," Jack muttered. "Sorry, Liza, I'll probably step all over your feet."
"It's alright, I'll probably do that too," I laughed. "Come on, we can do this."
"Let's give it a shot," he said, smiling a little.
We made our way around the floor as the band plucked out a minuet on their instruments. Jack seemed a little unsure at first but eventually he got more comfortable.
"See, this is fun," I whispered, "And you're doing great."
"Yeah, but I didn't even ask you. This doesn't even really count."
"Well, now the other ladies can see you dance," I laughed. "I think there's a lift coming up. Ready?"
"Ready."
When the time came I jumped up and he lifted me straight up and set me down. It gave me a little bit of an adrenaline rush. He led properly throughout the song until it was over. We did one more before taking a little break and heading back to the punch table. Zeb, much to my surprise, had not moved from the table with Danny.
"Zeb, you ought to dance with some other ladies as well," I coaxed.
"I do not really feel up to it," he shrugged.
"Why?" I asked.
"I...I don't know. It just all reminds me of...you know," He sighed.
"But that shouldn't stop you..."
"But it does. Do you want to go again?" He asked.
"Sure..."
"Alright let's go again," he said shortly, taking me back out.
We did another dance and then took another break.
"Zeb, you ought to dance with Audrey," I suggested, "She'd enjoy you very much."
"And take her away from Will?" He laughed, "I would be cruel to do that. Look how happy they both are!"
"They do look very happy," I said, nudging Danny.
Danny nodded and took a sip of his punch.
Elaine and Abe walked over, both smiling and laughing.
"The punch, Jack?" Abe laughed. "Typical."
"Have you all even danced at all?" Elaine asked, an eyebrow raised.
"Not Danny," Jack replied.
"Oh. Come along, then, Danny."
Before Danny could protest, Elaine had spun him onto the dance floor.
"Do be careful!" I called worriedly after them as I picked up his cane.
Abe grinned. "Who'd you dance with, Jack?"
Jack shrugged and mumbled, "Liza."
"He really was quite good," I said.
"Go ask someone, Jack, don't be a coward," Abe told him. "Don't spend the whole night by the punchbowl."
"Well, that sounds like a fine night."
Abe stared him down.
"What?"
"Go ask someone, Jack," I urged him.
"You've got to, or I'll do something drastic," Abe told him.
"Fine! I'll...go...find someone..."
Abe nodded as he wandered off out of sight in the sea of people dancing and walking around the room. "Danny's not bad, considering his leg."
"I hope he comes out of that alright," I muttered.
"Good evening, Liza," a voice said from behind me.
I turned around, "Oh! Alexander! How are you? It has been a while!"
"It sure has. You seem to have cleaned yourself up, a lot." He laughed.
"I certainly have," I smiled.
"May I have a dance?" He asked.
"Absolutely," I blushed. "I've never danced with such a high ranking soldier before."
"Well, you soon will have," he said, leading me to the floor.
We danced for about two songs before he went off to another woman. When I came back Abe and Zeb were still by the punch table.
"How are things going?" I asked.
"Just fine. I don't know where Elaine and Danny got off to, or Jack," Abe laughed.
"Had Zeb danced with anyone yet?" I asked.
Abe was about to respond, but Jack hurried into view, his eyes wide.
"You will never believe what just happened," he breathed.
"What just happened?" I asked.
"Alright, so I was walking around, looking for someone to ask, and I saw this girl. She wasn't talking to anyone so I went up and asked her and we started dancing, and you know who she turned out to be?!"
Abe did not look as excited as Jack. "Who was it?"
"Elizabeth Schuyler!"
"Well, I bet she was lovely," I said, smirking at Abe. "How many Schuyler's have you danced with?"
"Well, I--see, I haven't....found them yet...."
"And! She told me I was a good dancer!" Jack continued. "And she said I could call her Eliza! It was crazy!"
"That's great," Abe said dryly.
"It certainly is," I said, genuinely happy for him. "Now the trick is getting Margarita away from Lieutenant North."
"Perhaps," Jack said, a cocky grin on his face. "I'll be the one to dance with all three Schuylers."
"No, you will not."
"I'm already ahead, Abe."
"Well, I'll go see if Angelica is busy," Abe said stiffly.
"She'll most likely be the hardest to get," I warned.
"I love a challenge."
"I can't believe a Schuyler danced with me," Jack murmured.
"Alright, great. See you soon," Abe told him, and strode off.
"Zeb, you ought to find someone. Look, see? Margarita Schuyler is coming over here, probably for a refreshment. You should ask her," I said.
"I shouldn't do that."
"Why?"
"What would Isaac do to me?"
"He doesn't own her."
"But he loves her."
"I love you and I'm telling you go find someone else to dance with."
"Would you give me another dance?" He asked with a sigh.
"Alright," I said, following him out again.
We danced for the song and then went back over to the side. Isaac and Margarita were by the table. I was a little hesitant to go over there at all, but Zeb headed back anyway.
"Good evening, Miss Schuyler, Lieutenant North," Zeb almost sounded like me was mocking the second name.
I could see Jack look up when Zeb said Schuyler.
"Good evening, Private," Isaac said jokingly. "I see you found a new girl...whoah..."
His jaw dropped when he looked at me. "I hardly recognized you, Liza. You look...great..."
"Thank you," I laughed. "I've tried to shake my normal look."
"Well, I like this a lot," he said, still gawking. "Have you met my love, Miss Margarita Schuyler?"
Jack burst into the conversation. "Hello, everyone."
"Oh, Peggy, this is one of my soldiers, Jack Maris, and some friends from my childhood, Zeb Morris and Liza Byers," Isaac explained.
"It is nice to meet you all," She said politely.
Jack bowed. "It's an honor to meet you."
"It's nice to meet you as well, Miss Schuyler," I said politely, curtsying.
Zeb likewise said it was nice to meet her and bowed.
I waited for Jack to ask her to dance.
"Would you care to dance?" Jack asked finally.
"I would enjoy that very much," she said sweetly.
Jack led her to the floor and started off gracefully.
"She's very beautiful, Isaac," I told him as we watched.
"She really is. It is kind of a miracle she loves me like I love her, but I'm glad that is how it is. She also has a very large dowry for when we marry, so I will be able to have a prosperous future, something I lost when the war began," he said.
"I'm very happy for you," I said, a pang of bitterness pinching my stomach.
"Thank you. Did you two finally get together?" He asked Zeb and me.
We shook our heads vehemently.
"Really? Well, I guess that would be hard after all this not wanting to get married," he laughed.
"But you know, now that this night is going on, I realize it wouldn't have been so bad," Zeb said to me.
"I just didn't like that it would be forced," I said quietly.
"Anyway. Many other maidens seem to be calling my name," he laughed.
"Have fun," I muttered.
"Oh, I will," he said, walking away.
"Sure he will," I sighed.
"No he won't," Zeb laughed, "He's still Isaac."
"Yes, but he's changed. I've changed...everyone has changed. He's a chivalrous, dashing, high ranking, military officer! She's the daughter of a wealthy general who has parties like this! I'm a lowly barmaid. We used to be on the same level, but now we're not," I said sadly.
"What does that matter? He'll be done with this girl soon enough and come crawling back to you."
"I was never with him."
"You were also fourteen years old!"
"Exactly, but..."
"Just calm down and stop despairing! This is our night. Who needs significant others?" He laughed.
"Not me," I smiled. "I just need people who care."
Elaine came back over, Danny limping behind her.
"Oh dear, Danny. Are you alright?" I asked worriedly.
"I'm fine, just need to rest for a minute," he laughed.
"Alright," I said, handing him his cane again. "That was a fast one for you to do."
"It was fun." He smiled at Elaine. "Sorry I stepped on your feet."
"You're fine," she told him.
"You looked good out there," I said to Danny.
"Really? Thanks. Where are Abe and Jack?"
"With Schuylers," I laughed. "Jack got Margarita. Abe went after Angelica."
Elaine smiled. "Really? Well, I'm looking forward to see how that turns out."
"They've got a bet going," Danny said.
"I'm sure they do."
"They do," I smiled.
I felt a presence of a tall gentleman behind me and turned around.
"Oh! Hello, Ben!" I said cheerfully.
He looked a little startled. "H-how did you know my...ohhh...." he studied my face a moment, "Oh my goodness, Liza, I hardly recognized you! That's perfect! We'll talk about this later...but would you like to dance?"
"Of course," I laughed.
He danced for a song and then I went back over to the side and he back to his friends. Isaac alone remained by the table. Margarita was nowhere in sight.
"Hello again," I said.
"Hello, Liza. You wouldn't have happened to see my Peggy would you?" He asked nervously.
"No, sorry, I have not. I was busy dancing with Major Tallmadge," I explained.
"Well, um, in the meantime, would you like to dance?" He asked.
"Sure," I said, a little shocked, "Of course we'll have to slow it down from what we're used to on the farm."
He smiled, "Yes, that is probably a good idea."
We started the dance slowly and smoothly.
"You know," he laughed, "Out of all the girls I've danced with since you, none of them managed to almost faint in the middle of the floor from going to fast with tight stays."
"Well, these dances are all slow. I could never see myself getting exhausted by these. The barn was much different," I said, blushing a little.
"Still, there still remains something different about you from those other girls. You don't really...how do I say it...conform to social normalities. You don't really dress to impress or kiss up to people who happen to have a lot more money than you."
"It's because that kind of behavior is unnecessary in my line of work. Kindness to customers no matter who they are and charity and hospitality to the travelers in need are much more important. Also, survival. It is kind of important, you know, staying alive," I said flatly. "I'm different? Of course I am, but it's because I have to be. Strength, independence, perseverance, without those traits I die or am forced into prostitution."
"I-I know. And I'm fascinated by the way you tough it all out. But I've decided that when the war ends and I've moved up a few ranks and have received my pay, I want to live a life like this. Not having to scrounge for a few coins, having a real roof over my head, having more food than I could ever eat, having parties like this...it just seems so intriguing! I've never had money in my life, so I have no idea what it's like. Peggy is letting me give it a try, and I never want to go back. I wish you could join me." He said, twirling me around, "I want you out of that den of drunks."
"I could never leave it right now," I said quietly.
"Why not?"
"I have nowhere to go. It's how I'm supporting myself," I said. "You have the army and the glory. I have the tavern."
"There isn't as much glory as I thought there was going to be," He said.
"I tried to warn you of that from the beginning," I said tersely.
"I know you did. But look at me now!"
I indeed looked at him now. Tall, built, handsome, in a crisp blue uniform, hair tied smoothly back, but those same eyes I loved so much. "You have changed. You're alright. But that doesn't stop me from worrying..."
"I know. I'm not bulletproof, but I'm also not stupid. I don't want you worrying about me," he said.
I sighed and we finished the dance.
"You haven't lost that lively touch, Liza. That was a wonderful time. Now, I ought to go find my girl. It was very nice dancing with you again. I hope we can do it again some time," He said with a polite bow.
"Certainly," I curtsied.
And he left. I took a deep breath and took a champagne flute from a tray that a waiter was carrying around. Jack came over, beaming.
"How was your dance?" I asked.
"Lovely. And I'm beating Abe, so that's even better."
"Is Peggy nice?" Danny asked, getting more punch.
"She's very sarcastic. It was nice."
"I'm glad," I sighed, taking a swig of my champagne.
"And your dance?" He asked.
"I don't even know what to make of it. I don't even know what happened," I said with another sigh.
"Oh. Well that's...fun."
"He's just so...so...problematic! Our whole relationship is! I don't know what to make of any of it!" I burst out.
"Well, I'm sorry, but I don't think I can offer much help," Jack said. "I know nothing about that sort of thing."
"Honestly neither do I," I muttered. "Has Will been dancing with Audrey all night?"
"I suppose so. Haven't seen them around here."
"I'm so glad they enjoy each other's company so much. You never know when you set people up like that," I laughed.
"Yeah, it's good he didn't ruin everything," Jack agreed. "I was afraid he would."
"I trusted him from the start. I just was not positive they would mesh so well," I shrugged.
"Danced with Angelica yet?!" Abe called.
Jack turned to see Abe looking very smug.
"No, but I danced with Peggy and Eliza."
"Yeah, but you haven't danced with Angelica."
"You're right." Jack set down his punch glass. "I'll go do that."
"Wait--" Abe sighed. Jack had already strode off. "Damn it!"
"Something tells me she has high standards," I whispered to Abe.
"I can't believe she danced with me, if I'm being honest. Something about her...well, it was intimidating. I don't think she was impressed."
"Margarita? Or Angelica?" I asked. "I thought you said you did not dance with Angelica yet."
"Angelica. No, Jack hasn't danced with her yet. I just did. That's the only thing I have going for me right now. 'Fraid I lost the bet. It's mortifying," he mumbled.
"Who do you have left?" I asked.
"Elizabeth and Margarita." He reddened suddenly. "And I don't think I'll be dancing with Eliza."
"Why?" I asked.
"Um..." Abe smiled sheepishly. "Well, she saw me dancing with Angelica and then I immediately asked her after and I think she caught on that it was some sort of bet...she didn't look too pleased and said she would rather have some punch...."
"Oh..." I laughed, "Yes, they are people, not prizes."
"I know that, it's just...it was just a thing to see..." he sighed. "I suppose it does seem a bit objectifying, doesn't it?"
"A little," I said, cringing.
"Abe! There you are!" Elaine said, striding up to them. "Where've you been?"
"Embarrassing myself."
Elaine grinned. "The Schuyler thing?"
"You should've told me it was terribly dumb."
"Some things are better to learn for yourself," she laughed.
"And where've you been?"
"All around," she said brightly. "Danced with a lot of people. That Alexander Hamilton is a charmer, isn't he?"
Abe frowned.
"He is," I laughed. "It's undeniable."
"And how've you been, Liza? Enjoying yourself?" she asked.
"Oh yes, definitely," I said with a smile.
"Well, I think I'll go find someone else to dance with--"
"How about me?" Abe interrupted with a laugh.
She smiled like she had been expecting that. "Sure, Abe."
I danced with a few strangers and then it was time to head back to the tavern for me, home for Audrey and Elaine, and the camp for the boys. He all bundled back up and climbed into the sleigh again.
"So," I asked the back row. "Who won the bet?"
Abe, without a word, handed a pouch of coins to Jack. Jack grinned.
"Go on, Abe. Tell her."
Abe gritted his teeth.
Will tried not to laugh. "Yes, I'm quite intent on knowing."
"Jack," Abe muttered. "Jack won."
"Who?"
"Jack!"
"Oh. Congratulations, Jack." Will was having difficulty stifling his laughter.
"It certainly seemed like you two had fun," I said to Will and Audrey, who at this point were huddled against each other to stay warm.
Will grinned at Audrey. "We did."
"Yes we certainly did! He was a great pick, Liza," Audrey said excitedly.
"I'm glad it worked out," I laughed.
The ride home was rather silent because everyone was so tired. When anyone got out they were bombarded by a flow of Goodnight's and Merry Christmas's and they were home. Right before Zeb let Danny and me out, he pulled out a shiny new pistol from underneath the blankets at his feet.
"Your Christmas present. Ben said you should get one, so I took one for you off a hessian I found. Now you can better defend yourself, and it should fit in your dress pocket," He said, handing it to me carefully.
"Oh thank you, Zeb!" I said gratefully, giving him a hug. "Merry Christmas, and thank you for taking me to the ball."
"It was a pleasure and an honor. Now, goodnight, Merry Christmas, and take care of yourself and Danny." He said.
"Alright, same to you," I laughed. "Goodnight and Merry Christmas."
Danny and I said our goodnights and went inside. Conall was sitting in the bedroom, wide awake.
"You two are home so late! San Nioclás does not come if there are still people coming and going!" He snapped.
"We're very sorry, Conall," I laughed. "We're in now and he can come. Goodnight."
"Goodnight," Conall said.
And we went to sleep, the beautiful scenes of that night playing in our heads instead of our usual nightmares. It mad been a very merry Christmas and I finally felt at peace.