Chapter Nine.

"Shadowpaw! Get up!" a harsh voice called. Shadowpaw woke up to find a black bulky tom above her. She hissed in surprise, instantly jumping onto her paws. "Oh, Blackheart.. what do you want?". Blackheart looked over at the two sleeping apprentices, his fur relaxing on his shoulders. "Those two told me about you letting them out camp without a warrior. What were you thinking?!" he growled. Shadowpaw spat, her tail lashing. "You are Raccoonpaw's mentor, yet you didn't speak to her once yesterday. I'm not in the wrong here, you should take a little more care on your apprentice!". Blackheart stepped back, a little surprised that an apprentice was talking back to a warrior. "Disrespectful fox-dung.. as punishment, you will be looking after my kit for the day, as her Mother is on hunting patrol. We don't have enough queens". 

"But that's your kit! Your responsibility!" she hissed, outraged that a warrior would be asking her to do such a task. Blackheart spat, shaking his head. "Please. I can't leave her alone". Shadowpaw sighed, her fur relaxing on her shoulders. "Fine". Blackheart smiled, leading her out the apprentice den and into the Nursery. A beautiful, golden she-cat was curled up, her eyes as blue as the river. By her chest was a black kit with a white chest, paws and tail-tip. She also had her Mothers eyes. "Goldheart, this is Shadowpaw. She will look after Blackkit today.." Blackheart began, his voice slowly trailing off as he saw the expression on Goldhearts face. "Are you sure?.. An apprentice? She can't look after my only kit!" she yowled in response, glaring at Shadowpaw.

"I said the same thing, Goldheart. I'm sorry, I'll just go" Shadowpaw answered, turning round to walk out the den. She was stopped by two paws grabbing onto her tail. She turned her head to find Blackkit gripping onto her tail and pawing it. "Roar!" the kit squeaked. Shadowpaw smiled, moving her tail and licking the kits forehead. "Nice to meet you little one" she smiled warmly, watching the kit playfully try to pounce on her tail. 

"Wait, Shadowpaw. Please stay and look after her" Goldheart mewed, noticing that Blackkit was fond of the young apprentice, and rose to her paws. "We will be back soon. Be careful with her though, she runs off a lot. But if she gives you any trouble, take her to the elders and she would love to listen to one of their stories". Shadowpaw nodded, wrapping her tail around Blackkit. "I will". Goldheart and Blackheart quickly rushed out the Nursery to the hunting patrol, leaving Blackkit and Shadowpaw with the other queens and kits. 

"What kind of Mother leaves their kit with an apprentice?"

"She's not even a responsible one!"

"That kit isn't safe at all!"

The queens tutted, each grooming their own kits. Shadowpaw sighed, ignoring their comments. Another two kits bounded over, tackling Blackkit to the ground. "Hey Blackkit!" they each squeaked. Blackkit got up, shaking them off of her. "Silverkit, Cloudkit, don't do that!" she hissed in response. Silverkit and Cloudkit looked at Shadowpaw in awe, tilting their heads. "Who's that?" they asked, their small tails fluffed out. "

"Oh, this is Shadowpaw. She's looking after me today while my Mother is gone" she smiled. The three kits all leapt onto the apprentice at once, causing her to fall over and squeak on surprise. "Hey!" Shadowpaw giggled, pushing them off of her.