Chapter Five.

Shadowpaw woke up to the sound of Rustheart snoring softly. She rose to her paws, carefully stepping over the sleeping bodies. Darkpelt, Mudstipe and Dragonfang weren't among them. They must already be ready for training. Shadowpaw was dreading her training session with Mistpaw and Echopaw- and her fur tingled with worry as she darted out of camp. Mistpaw and Echopaw were rolling around playfully in the sand, whilst the three mentors were contently chatting away. They stopped as they laid eyes on Shadowpaw. "Finally! We can start" Dragonfang smiled, getting onto her paws. 

"We didn't want to tell you, but today is your assessment" Mudstripe meowed. The three apprentice's fur bristled nervously. Echopaw's eyes glowed with anxiety- while Mistpaw's tail was wrapped around her in comfort. Shadowpaw wasn't all too worried- but her hunting skills weren't that great. "Firstly, you will fight each of your mentors. After that, go hunt. But don't worry, we will be watching you" Darkpelt mewed, standing up. "But keep your claws sheathed- none of us are in the mood for getting hurt". The cleared an open space for each battle training. "Mistpaw, demonstrate your skills" Mudstripe ordered.

When it was finally Shadowpaw's turn, she slowly got up, a little frightened. "Ready Shadowpaw?" Darkpelt mewed uneasily, aware of the she-cats speed and strength. She nodded in response, leaning back onto her hind legs. "Go!" Mudstripe hissed. Shadowpaw instantly leapt at Darkpelt, the two cats wrestling eachother to the ground. Darkpelt through her off, only go get up to realize he had lost sight of his target. Shadowpaw launched herself behind him, landing on his back and pinning him to the ground. "Pinned you" she giggled. Darkpelt blushed, embarrassed of his defeat. "Well done, Shadowpaw. You used the same tactics as when you last fought Mistpaw" he mewed, impressed. Mistpaw flattened his ears and scowled at the mention of the last defeat. Shadowpaw got up off of Darkpelt, helping him up onto his paws. 

"Now, each of you will go hunt. Bring back as much prey as possible. But don't worry, as Darkpelt said- we are watching you" Dragonfang ordered, watching the three apprentices dash off. Mistpaw and Echopaw were heading for the same area, but Shadowpaw went alone. The best prey was found near the river. But good thing that Mistpaw and Echopaw didn't know this. She stopped in her tracks, sniffing the air quitely. Rabbit. She smiled to herself, catching sight of the plump prey nibbling on some grass. She crouched, slowly putting one paw infront of another, stalking her prey. A twig snapped under her paws, alarming the rabbit as it started to run away. Shadowpaw cursed to herself, chasing after it with her sharp speed. She eventually caught up and swiped it with her claws, biting it to make sure it was dead. One down, many more to go.

Later, Shadowpaw returned with her prey and set it down on the fresh-kill pile. She was pleased, but she did not get as much prey as Echopaw did. However, Echopaw only caught small mice and voles, whilst Shadowpaw had collected fat rabbits and sparrows. "Well done, all three of you" Mudstripe beamed, looking at the over-filled fresh-kill pile. "You may return to your nests and rest. We will go report to Bloodstar immediately" he added. The three apprentices nodded, Mistpaw and Echopaw walking together to the apprentice den, leaving Shadowpaw to walk alone. I wish I could just change the past.. I miss him, Shadowpaw thought to herself, letting out a deep sigh as she trudged into the apprentice den, lying down in her nest.