Chapter Two.

Shadowpaw awoke in a forest full of mist, surrounding the area quickly. She sniffed, blinking her eyes again. It must be a dream, she thought. Her ears twitched, the sound of quiet pawsteps coming from the right. She turned her head swiftly, to see a beautiful white she-cat leaping over a log. Following her were two kits- one with black fur, one who was silver, and the other a dark-grey colour. Shadowpaw smiled, watching the kits follow their mother. I wonder who they are supposed to be. Then the white she-cat watched the black kit fail to climb the log, and lifted her up. "You need to be more careful, little one". Shadowpaw's heart raced. She had heard that voice before. Something about the white she-cat made her heart jump. She felt like she knew her. "Hey!" she called out to the she-cat, her eyes lighting up, The she-cat ignored her. She can't hear me.. The she-cat looked straight at Shadowpaw- her yellow eyes shining like the sun.

Shadowpaw woke with a start. Mistpaw and Echopaw were already awake- chatting in the corner of the apprentice den. "You know, Echopaw.." Shadowpaw heard Mistpaw meow. "I... I love you". Shadowpaw's heart skipped a beat. She continued to pretend she was asleep, holding back her growls of anger. Mistpaw was her best friend- but she couldn't help but be jealous. She too had feelings for Mistpaw, and to know that he didn't like her back just stabbed in her fur. "I love you too, Mistpaw". Shadowpaw opened her eyes for a moment to see the two apprentices nuzzling eachother. She felt like she was going to be sick. She dashed onto her paws and ran out the apprentice den as quick as she could, holding back the tears from her eyes as she exited out of camp, brushing past the confused cats. She sat down by the lake- swiping at the water in anger. "Cloudypaw would know what to do.." she told herself, feeling guilty of dumping her old best friend in the lake. The air even still reeked of Cloudypaw's smell. 

"You know, I talk to myself too when I'm angry" a voice mewed behind her, followed by pawsteps. It was Darkpelt. He sat next to the sad she-cat, looking into the water. "So. Care to tell me what's going on?". Shadowpaw shook her head. "You wouldn't understand". Darkpelt sighed, his fluffy tail wrapping round his apprentice. "Maybe atleast try explaining?". Shadowpaw sadly looked up at her mentor, her eyes clouded with pain. "It's nothing, I'm just jealous of Echopaw because Mistpaw likes her.." Shadowpaw started, "Please don't tell anyone". Darkpelt nodded, his eyes sparkling with amusmant. "A little crush on Mistpaw, eh?" he giggled like a kit. Shadowpaw blushed, her tail spiking out. "Shh. It doesn't matter now". Darkpelt stopped, his eyes turning more serious. "Things like that happen, Shadowpaw. Just move on. And you don't have to talk to either of them". She nodded at her mentor, getting up onto her paws. "I think I'll go hunting. Thanks, Darkpelt".