|Ambush|

She knew not what was going to happen but for once she was happy and that was okay.

The wedding had gone bust as soon as Magnus had strolled his sparkly butt into the room, it was called off and the higher ranking clave members started to leave immediately. Most were more annoyed that their mornings were wasted for a pointless ceremony than the fact that it had involved a Lightwood. Evie wasn't certain they were too against what was going on in the ceremony for the world was progressing so perhaps nothing was too bad about what they were doing. Yet everyone knew this could have been avoided, the wasting of actual funds for a wedding and everyone turning up, if only it had been called off earlier. Yet Evie didn't mind how it played out. She loved weddings and this was just another one to add to this list of great weddings.

Their friendship group, well her friends then Clary, Jace and she should supposed Simon basing it off what Clary had said to her previously, gathered outside of the hall, Magnus and Alec looked really happy together and Evie was happy for them. She also felt proud, proud that they had put their feelings for each other first opposed to the stupid clave and the family name. There were other ways they could save the family name which did not end up with a miserable marriage and a very upset high warlock. Izzy and Evie stood next to one another with their arms linked, they were aware everyone else knew that there was something between them, but right now the attention belonged to the two boys. They stood in near silence as only a few small words were passed between them, it wasn't until Lydia approached them that a conversation was really initiated. Most were just thankful that she was more than happy to allow what happened. She really was a nice person who just entered their lives at the wrong moment of time. Evie was sure if she had turned up at another time things would have been better to start off with their relationship with her would have been good from the beginning, not at what seemed like it was the end. Lydia had planned to go an retrieve the mortal cup to pass onto the head of the clave, however something felt wrong for Evie and she did not want her to go alone. 

"I'll come with you, Lydia. There's more safety in numbers." Evie suggested giving Izzy a small hug and going off to follow the temporary leader of the institute. The two walked in a comfortable silence for a short distance of the way. However, when they were out of earshot of anybody else, they began to talk. The focus, however, wasn't on the wedding or the cup. 

"So Evie, that's what I've heard everyone else call you, Maryse has talked to me. We've both come to the agreement to move the institute you were in. I've talked to my friends in the DC institute. And they're more than happy to take you. They actually want you transferred in a week. They don't care about your surname or family connections. They've heard about your fighting ability and the way you handle yourself on the few missions you've been on. They're ready to completely train you." Lydia started. Evie didn't really know how to respond, Maryse had come through to her. She had promised to help the younger girl and get her out of a bad place and on the mend. Maryse had actually committed to that promise and Evie didn't know how to act. "Oh... um... wow that's amazing. I didn't expect it to happen so soon."

"It's going to be a great opportunity for you there. Downworlder activity is just as vast there as it is here. You'll be doing just as much if not more there. They want to train you for a couple of weeks then put you in charge of your own team." Lydia continued to explain as they approached her office where the cup was concealed.

"That actually sounds great" Evie stated as she began to watch the surrounding area for anything which could go wrong. However, she was confident in how everyone else would not attempt to do anything to sabotage this part of the deal. No one wanted Valentine to win, so no-one would be in their right mind to take the mortal cup for him. But she was wrong. 

Lydia was only attempting to open the panelling in the floor when it happened, Evie was knocked to the side first by the assailant. Lydia was not as fortunate, she was knocked hard enough to be knocked unconscious. But Evie was not going to give up easily now knowing she was the only line of defence between this person and the mortal cup from getting into Valentine's grubby hands. Albeit that she did too have all of her weapons on her only a seraph blade she had collected on the way as emergency protection. This was probably not her best idea when she thought about it but she was thankful she had at least picked something up for safety. Choosing not to focus on this for the moment in time, she concentrated on the mad man who was still working on attacking her. Getting back up onto her feet, she activated the blade and looked towards the person she would be fighting. This caused her to freeze for the person who she was going to fight was one of the few she had trusted almost immediately after meeting, Hodge. Yet she knew he must have been easily persuaded back into the life he had left in the circle. Maybe him giving up and coming back to the side of the Clave had been part of an elaborate plan this entire time for it would allow them easy access to the inside for when Valentine chose to try and rise again. 

Tow blades clashed as the two began to strike one another. Evie was strong, she normally prided herself on her strength, yet Hodge was easily overpowering her. All the training she had before and after joining the institute would not have prepared her for this. Hodge was the dirtiest fighter she had ever opposed and it was not long before he over powered her and had struck her multiple times. Evie refused to go down despite his best efforts. She managed to hold her ground for another 15 minutes or so. However, Hodge was able to stab her with the seraph blade into her chest where she could feel it implant into her lungs. That was when she collapsed unable to get back up again. Hodge was then able to stalk over and gather the cup. He knew he would be in trouble for injuring Valentine's youngest daughter. But he was aware that the man would let him off knowing he had gotten the cup. Evie groaned and hoped to the gods that someone would come, but as she lie there coughing violently this began to seem unlikely as each time she coughed she struggled to get her breath back. Eventually she allowed the darkness to take her over.

She never did get to see who came to her rescue.

Original word count: 1109

2nd Edit June 2020 word count: 1200