|Justice|

The law was the law irregardless to whether they liked it or not

The next morning Evie awoke feeling anxious, she had not felt this nervous in weeks as she prepped herself to go and watch the girl she cared about, more than any of the others in this godforsaken place, be put up against the court for no apparent reason. Evie knew deep down, that there was no way they charges would be dropped or Izzy could go free without the mortal cup. She knew Alec had spoken to Lydia regarding the situation and he was way more forceful in his negotiation than she would have ever been. She would not be surprised if he had brought up a way they could get Izzy's charges dropped for they both knew these charges were utter rubbish. For Evie knew that if they were really trying Izzy for her acts regarding Meliorn then she too would be on the stand being tried for treason. It was as plain as anything that they were using Izzy to exploiter her links with the two Fairchild sisters and get the clave the cup. Everyone was certain that one of the two girls had it. And they weren't wrong either. It was just that the one twin who had procession of the cup was the one who was MIA and did not care for anyone else's problems other than her own. It was very unlikely that Clary would come to save Izzy for it wasn't going to directly benefit her. 

Evie had attempted to contact her sister, spam calling Clary's phone and leaving message after message. She still did not want to talk to her twin, she'd rather not have anything to do with Clarissa Fairchild at present. But she knew this was not for her personally, no it was for Izzy who's life and time in the shadow world was on a teeter. This went above any hatred she currently held against her sister as she prayed for once in her stupid life that Clary would think of the others and not just herself. Evie would do anything for those she loved and Izzy was very quickly making her way to the top of that list. 

Evie dressed in what could be considered one of the poshest outfits she had ever worn in her life. She could not remember the last time she dressed so well. She wore a pair of light grey fitted formal trousers a white shirt and a black blazer. This blazer had the sleeves rolled up to just below her elbows. She partnered this with a black pair of loafers and did a professional looking face of makeup. She had never felt as serious as she looked now as she waited for the defence team they had called in for Izzy. Alec had used his relationship with Magnus to get him to represent Izzy when she stood trial. Alec had claimed that Magnus had requested payment for his services but Evie was certain that this was a trick as Magnus was head over hills for the emotionless shadowhunter and would do anything he asked him to. The court was silent as the hearing progressed, Evie's nerves intensified as it went onwards with no sign that they were going to let up on the charges. This only intensified when Magnus closed his case and it looked like it was not going in their favour, it didn't matter if Lydia herself even protested against them. The court eventually came out with their true reasoning behind sentencing Izzy. Just like suspected they were after the mortal cup and were more than willing to sacrifice Izzy for it. A silent tear escaped Evie's eyes as she watched them drag Izzy back off to holding. 

She thumbled with her phone as she desperately tried to call her sister again. But as per usual, her call went straight to voicemail and Evie was almost positive her sister was purposefully sending her there. Evie left yet another desperate voicemail to her sister. Her tears intensifying and getting heavier with each phone call her sister continued to reject. Her and Alec clung to each other as they realised that their other two team mates had let them down, focusing on their overly large egos, and this meant that they were going to lose one of the most important people in either of their lives. For once in her life Evie was actually happy to see Jace's obnoxious face as she and Clary walked through the door oozing with their normal level of confidence. She was not happy with them purposely ignoring their calls as she saw Clary send a text message on her phone which only signalled that she had ignored her sister. She was more concerned that now they had arrived that they could get Izzy out of this court and her charges dropped. 

Izzy was returned to them once Clary had presented the court with the mortal cup before putting it back into the card for safe keeping. Izzy reunited with her brother and thanked both Clary and Jace before heading over to Evie. Tears streamed down both girl's faces as they held onto one another, the harsh reality of just how close they were to being ripped away from each other forever etched into their memories like a horrible scar that was never going to go away. Before Evie had even realised what was going on Izzy's lips had captured her own. She had responded immediately not caring as to who was around them, who cares if the only two people who realised she was into girls around them was Alec and the girl she was currently lip locking with. She had been waiting on this moment for a while now and could not be happier. Izzy was definitely the best thing to have come out of these last couple of weeks. 

Original word count: 876

2nd Edit June 2020 word count: 986