The Fight

Zander's POV

"Morning," Sydney said to me when I sat up in my bed.

It was a week after the sorting and neither Matt nor Millie had spoken to me. Not that I particularly tried to talk to them.

I was afraid they were mad at me for being sorted into Slytherin.

"Morning. Um, what are you doing?"

He was sitting on his bed which was covered by papers and books.

He grinned sheepishly.

"Forgot to do a homework assignment due today."

"Oh, that stinks," I replied slipping out of bed and pulling some robes out of my trunk at the end of my bed "Where're the others?"

"You slept in. They've already gone down to breakfast."

"Right," I slipped my robes on and rubbed my eyes.

"Hey, I'm almost done here. Do you want to wait so that we can go down to breakfast together?" Sydney asked looking up.

"Yeah, sure."

I sat down on my bed and fiddled with my wand. I began to think about the thing.

"Done!" Sydney snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Okay, let's go."

We walked down to the common room.

Funny thing about the Slytherin common room is people outside of the house have told me it's cold, damp, and all in all very uncomfortable but they don't know the truth. In fact, it was warm and comfortable. The Slytherin common room was enchanted so that only true Slytherins and their closest friends can see and feel the comfort of it.

As we walked through the dimly lit room there was a tap on the window and a small mermaid waved at us. We nodded back.

As we left the common room shouts greeted us.

We looked at each other and dashed towards the noise.

We rounded the corner and came upon a scene of a two fourth years yelling at each other. One was a Gryffindor and the other a Slytherin. I spotted Matt in the crowd gathered around the pair.

"What's going on?" I asked slipping up next to him.

"That Slytherin tripped Peter! He says he didn't but he did!"

"Why does it matter?"

Matt looked over and realized it was me.

"Slytherins are mean to everyone and we Gryffindors are getting sick of it."

I glared at him then noticed Quinn pushing through the crowd towards the fighting boys. I hurried over to her and grabbed her arm.

"What are you going to do?" I asked her.

"What I need too," she answered pulling away.

"I'll help."

We ran towards the boys and pushed our way between them.

"Stop it! You're acting like children!" Quinn yelled.

"This isn't your business, little girl," the Slytherin pushed her away and nearly knocked her over but I caught her.

"Guys! Can't we just get along?!" I yelled over the noise.

Sydney appeared and grabbed my arm.

"C'mon!"

"We've got to get them to stop!"

"But Gryffindors aren't good to Slytherins. They're getting what they deserve!"

I pulled away but Sydney tackled me and just on time. A spurt of magic crackled over our heads.

A teacher pushed through the crowd.

"That's quite enough! Ten points from Gryffindor and Slytherin each!"

The crowd broke up.

Sydney glared at me then walked down the hall.

"Hey."

I turned to Quinn.

"Thanks for helping. Not many people would do that."

I nodded that went back to my dorm, completely forgetting breakfast and nearly not making it to class on time.