The Sorting

Zander pov

I was nervous! Did Millie say I was nervous? Did I say I was nervous? Heck, I was so freakin' nervous! That boat ride didn't help either!

After a few minutes the doors to an enormous hall opened and we were led inside. I couldn't help but gape. It was amazing! The ceiling looked like it was the night sky just outside the stars looked so real

Then all of a sudden Ashe appeared behind me and whispered into my ear "The ceiling is enchanted to look like the sky, it's in Hogwarts, A History. You're gonna need to read it" I started to turn around but she was already gone

A tall women with spectacles and emerald robes placed a tattered and patched hat on a low stool in front of the entire chattering school.

I looked at the hat in wonder and nearly jumped when the rip near the bottom of hat opened like a mouth and began to sing.

"I've sat on the head of many and sorted them into the house that best befits them. What house will make or break you? It's up to me and ye shall see if you will survive.

"Will you be sorted into Gryffindor where they bravely fight to get what their heart desires.

"Or perhaps Ravenclaw, who depend on Knowledge to fuel their fires.

"Maybe Hufflepuff, loyal as can be, they stick to the sides they believe are true.

"Or maybe even Slytherin, where those crafty people will think up anything to achieve the most they can do."

Applause sounded when silence fell on the hat's lips (or is it rip?).

The lady with spectacles unrolled a large parchment.

"As your name is called please step forward," she said.

And it began with "Adams, Lucy" being sorted into "Ravenclaw!" And then get twin Luke being sorted into the same house.

I bit my lip and glanced at Millie.

Our eyes met as "Bane, Ariel" was sorted into "Slytherin!"

I looked away and watched as "Balkins, Romas" strutted to one of the four tables after she had been sorted into "Gryffindor!"

"Casey, Quinn."

"Gryffindor!"

"DeLuce, Jezzabell."

"Ravenclaw!"

I bit my lip and tried to pretend not to be paying attention.

"Pherb, Adam."

"Gryffindor!"

Don't throw up. Please do not throw up. I begged myself

Finally, Matt was summoned to the low stool. The hat didn't say anything for ten seconds but then yelled "Gryffindor!"

Matt look relieved as he walked to the cheering table.

I caught Millie's eye again as "Mave, Sydney" was sorted into "Slytherin!". She smiled but jumped when her name was called.

The hat rested on her head for a few minutes before shouting her sorting "Hufflepuff!"

Excited as can be, Millie nearly forgot to take off the hat before running to the table.

Finally "Whitehurst, Zander" was called.

I hoped no one could see the way my knees were shaking as I walked to the stool.

I sat down and the hat was placed on my head.

"Well now you've earned some scars on your life haven't you."

It was true. Scars covered my body but mostly my face.

"Does that matter?" I thought.

"Scars show strength."

"I still don't see how that matters."

"Well, I'm sure we're not going to get anything out of this. What house should I sort you into?"

"All my friends think I should be in Ravenclaw."

"But your friends don't know you like I do and I know that isn't the right house for you."

"What about Hufflepuff? I'm a very loyal person."

"No, that isn't quite right either. I think Slytherin would be the best."

"No! Put me in Gryffindor! I know I'll do well in that house."

"Well I know you won't."

We argued for about several minutes until finally, I gave in.

"Alright! But if that's not the right house then I am holding you fully responsible!"

"Everyone does.

"Slytherin!"

I took off the hat and rose from the stool. I walked to the Slytherin table with fake confidence.

As I passed the Gryffindor table I heard someone booing just loud enough for me, the Slytherins, and the rest of the Gryffindors to hear.

I saw Matt laughing and I caught his eye. He looked down at his plate, guilty.

I turned away and took my place as a Slytherin.