E P I L O G U E :

Începe de la început

I told her about the crazy dream I once had, the one about the mob, the one about me, the one about Ace. Like usual I skipped the details and the gruesome twists and turns, leaving only the happy parts and fairytale-like moments to penetrate her sleepy ears.

For our own good, I changed the ending, deliberately lying about how we fought the bad guys off and lived happily ever after.

Once she was asleep, which always happened to be towards the end of my anecdotes, I would creep out her bedroom and make sure to shut the door behind me, locking the very rests of the story's magic within her room.

It was important that her childhood was filled with happy endings and charming princes, because eventually, like everyone else, her brain would grow in knowledge and leave those myths behind, preparing her for the real world. It was important for me to raise her to become that way, because I on the other hand was still split between two worlds—planet Earth, and planet Dreams.

*

"Goddammit, Zara!" I slam my fists into the granite counter top, dismay settling inside my swarming stomach. "Goddamn you Ace!"

Tears recklessly stream down my cheeks as I fight the tempting urge of waking up the whole neighborhood. "Sweet dreams? Are you shītíng me?! How could you do this to me. Leave me here. The least you could do was fully wipe my memory, at least make me forget about you!"

Within two minutes I was a complete mess, my makeup slowly melting along with my heated face. I think of him too much, but I can't stop myself.

Year after year my memories got worse, at first I seriously thought it was all just a dream, but thanks to time's unwanted help, I started remembering events such as a masquerade ball, scenes from the auction, scenes of me being tortured and so on.

Now, at twenty-four, I remember each and every word Ace ever told me, and beleive me when I say I hate him for that.

There is something so terrible about being incapable that I don't even have a word to match that feeling. It's like you know what's going on, and even though you pray day and night, you're stuck in your house, no other choice but to wait and see what happens.

And what if nothing ever happens?

What if you're eternally glued to your chair, waiting for the dreadful reality to knock on your door and announce the news, only to find out it's never coming? Only to find out that you'll have to sit in your freaking chair the whole rest of your pitiful life?!

"Waiting for Ace to make an appearance!" I yelled, not realizing I was talking out loud.

I was taken aback, realizing how foolish I had just been. Ace was gone. I wouldn't see him again, period. That's just the way things were. I tried to relax, wiping down the granite with a dish sponge. I peeked outside the window and to my expectations noticed the empty driveway. Matt said he'd be home at around ten thirty. I sighed, looking up at the sky. It was dark, showing off the glowing moon, showing off the twinkling stars.

Zara, Hazel, whatever your real name is, just chill. Relax. Breathe. Think about the bright side. You have a family of your own. You have a man who loves you so much that he forgets about youokay, stop being sarcastic, we both know that right now he's not the perfect example, Zara. But you have Hazel, your wonderful baby girl that you decided to name after... Ace's sister? Okay, maybe you are loosing it. You're mad, and everything you do or say is somehow related to your past. You have to stop. You have to live in the present, forget about him, forget about them.

A wave of depression hit me like a heavy truck at full speed, my eyes falling to the floor. I stared at the wooden planks, thinking about how hard it was to get them, thinking about all the time Matt and I spent on them. There was a story behind the flooring. I started chuckling at the thought of how nerve-wracking the builders were whilst installing it, and how Matt had to keep me from kicking their slow asses.

I lifted my gaze, focusing on nothing in particular, just taking in the entire house, my house. The tint of sadness vanished, realization dawning on me. What made my house a home? What made it mine? The stories behind it did, and no matter how painful or beautiful they were, they made this house feel like home.

I smiled, finally realizing how lucky I actually was. Not only because I once had the opportunity to live an amazing adventure, but because I actually remembered it.

"Thank-you Ace," I whispered, Hazel's sobs sounding in the distance.

THE official END

*******

# What did you think of this book? Did you enjoy reading it? Did you like the characters?

# Do you like this epilogue? Do you not fully understand it?

ALSO:

If you are reading this now, then know that I could never thank you enough for finishing this book! There are soo many things that need changing here, but like I already mentioned... I won't be editing anything. Why? Because in order to really polish this book I would have to entirely re-write it, and even the plot (annnddd character development) is terrible!

That's just too time-consuming, and right now I have two ongoing books.

Thank you for your understanding!!

~ Goodbye (and don't forget to reach for the stars, literally, reach the white star button)! :)