••• Chapter 2 •••

Start from the beginning

I decide to send Tobias a Snapchat for when he wakes up. I pull up the app and take a picture of my feet hanging off the counter.

I type, "I'm on the counter." And send it to him.

»»»

I'm laying on the couch drawing when my phone vibrates.

I pull it out and laugh.

Ugh. You always beat me because of stupid time zones. 😂 HAPPY ONE YEAR BEST FRIEND! FACETIME ME RIGHT NOW! -Tobias

So without replying, I click the FaceTime icon and call Tobias. When he answers, we yell at the same time, "I can't believe it's been a year!"

We immediately start to laugh and lock eyes. They are the shade of blue that I was expecting to see in my dream.

"Why exactly were you on the counter?" he asks, still staring into my eyes.

I shrug. "I'm weird."

He smiles, showing a row of perfect white that I find myself envy of. Everything about him is perfect.

I know. I've heard it since I was little. Nobody's perfect. But to me, he is.

I notice that he is still looking at me so I smirk and ask, "Why are you starting at me?"

"Because you're beautiful." As soon as the words leave his mouth, my eyes widen along with his own. I guess that he didn't mean to say that.

Did he just call me beautiful?

A blush makes its way onto my face before I can stop it. "Wait," I say. "What?"

"I said that you're beautiful." His eyes leave mine, and he looks at the ground, scratching his neck.

I shake my head. "I'm not pretty. I'm not ugly, but I'm definitely not pretty. So I can't be beautiful."

He replies, "You're not pretty, so? I like the way you look."

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask curiously, as a strange feeling builds up in my chest. I guess it's hope. Hope that he feels the same way about me that I feel about him. Although he's probably just being nice."

He sighs and meets my eyes again. He says, "I've known you for a year now, and I just can't hold it back anymore. I'm just afraid I'll lose you if I tell you,"

"Just say it," I try to encourage him. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise."

"Okay." He takes a deep breath and begins, "Tris, well I want to be the boy that you can go to when you feel down, when you feel like your worthless, when you just wanna talk about life or talk about anything in general. I want to be the boy that grows up to become your man and have children with the most beautiful women in the entire world. Even though I can't be there physically, I want to be that boy who you can come to for anything. I really like you."

I feel tears pushing behind my eyes, and I don't try to keep them back. He's seen me cry before. No one has ever said anything like that to me before.

He likes me. He does share my feelings.

"Tobias..." I croak, the tears now falling lightly. "I don't know what to say."

"Then don't say anything," he says softly. "I just had to tell you that."

"No," I say. "I have to tell you something." He raises his eyebrow as I prepare myself to say the words that have taken over my thoughts since last night. The words that I have wanted to say, but never had the courage until now.

I say, "I really like you too."

His smile grows, and he breathes out a sight of relief.

He suddenly grows serious again. His next words make my heart stop, and cause my breath to hitch in my throat.

"Then, Tris Prior, will you be my girlfriend?"

A year ago, I would've never expected these ten words to come out of my mouth, but they do. "Yes," I say. "Tobias Eaton, I would love to be your girlfriend."