thirty five

there was a loud bang and sherlock flinched, his eyes snapping open. he looked at the oak table then turned his head slightly, looking at the angry man that was his father. his body was frozen and he couldn't feel anything. he was knumb.

"i asked you to speak, dammit!" mr holmes shouted, slamming his fist on the table.  

sherlock's eyes shot up at his father. he opened his mouth to say something but all that came out was a broken sob. "i'm sorry," he cried.

mr holmes' face softened as he looked at his crying son, not meaning to make him cry, he just wanted him to answer his question. he rose from his chair and walked to his son, sitting the the chair next to him. "i didn't mean to shout." he said calmer than before.

sherlock wiped his face with the sleeve of his sweater and sniffled, then looked at his father.

"can you answer my question?" mr holmes asked softer, watching his son closely.

sherlock nodded.

"are you gay?" he asked.

sherlock looked down into his lap and sighed. he nodded once. "yes."

he expected a slap or another breaking glass but instead, his father pulled him in a hug. sherlock was hesitant, but hugged back, standing up in an odd way, so his father stood up too. "your mother and i love you, so much." mr holmes said. "it's just hard to be home, but we wish we were here more often."

"i wish you were home more too." sherlock sniffled, hugging his father tighter.

mr holmes held his son for a few more minutes before letting him go. his eyes were red, so he cried some too. sherlock had never seen his father cry, not even at his grandparent's funerals. sherlock always thought of him as the man who shed no tears, but here he was now, crying over his gay son. mr holmes gestured for sherlock to sit back down and he did. then he watched his father sit next to him.

curlyholmes: my dad is fine with me being gay.

curlyholmes: he was just scared at first, that's why he was shouting.

johnnyboy: so you're okay?

curlyholmes: i'm fine.

curlyholmes: my parents want to meet you. especially my dad, he loves rugby.

johnnyboy: so they like me?

curlyholmes: you are on their good side, yes.

johnnyboy: is that a good thing?

curlyholmes: it's a good thing

johnnyboy: oh thank god

johnnyboy: i was scared they wouldn't like me because i was set on that they we're homophobic

curlyholmes: so did i, but i guess they're not

johnnyboy: good

johnnyboy: now, about prom

curlyholmes: no. stopping this conversation there.