Chapter 51

ALEXANDRA

It was about five something in the morning when I was being woken up by Scarlett's heartbreaking cries coming from her nursery. I got out of bed and stalked out of my room and toward Scarlett's nursery sleepily.

"What's the matter, baby girl?" I pouted as I took her out of her crib, her chubby cheeks flushed red and a bit warm much to my surprise.

"Have you got a fever now?" I frowned as I walked over to Scarlett's changing table and grabbed her thermometer. I placed the tip inside of her mouth, watching as she squirmed in distress.

"I know my baby... Mummy's sorry she has to do this." I murmured. I finally pulled the thermometer out of her mouth, only to see her temperature was at 100.6; definitely a high fever.

I began to change Scarlett out of her footie pyjamas and into warmer clothes before I picked her up and dashed toward my Mum's bedroom.

"Mum, Mum wake up. I've got to take Scarlett to hospital. She's got a high fever." I told my Mum who instantly sat up in bed.

"Oh my poor girl. Have you called Harry to tell him? You know what, you go get changed and get her bag ready and I'll call him." Mum voiced, getting out of bed and coming toward me to take a now whining Scarlett into her arms.

"Okay, please do. Tell him to meet us at the hospital; the one where Scarlett was born in." I informed her as I sauntered out of Mum's room and went into mine to change into a pair of leggings, one of Harry's sweatshirts, and my pair of white Adidas. After I was dressed, I grabbed Scarlett's baby bag and filled it up with clean nappies, a extra set of clothes, and some of her blankets.

"I just spoke to him on the phone. He said he's already on his way and he'll meet you there." Mum announced as she came into my room with a wailing Scarlett in her arms.

I frowned deeply upon hearing the heart wrenching cries of my baby girl. I hate when she's feeling poorly and I can't do anything but hold her.

"Alright. Thanks Mum. Her temperature was 100.6, by the way; that's why I decided on taking her to hospital." I said to my Mum, knowing her doctor mode was going to kick in soon enough.

"I figured it was around there. She's too warm for my liking. I have to go in today at 9:00 am, if you're still there by that time, I'll pass by to check on her during my break. I'm supposed to be working in that hospital today anyway." She explained, holding Scarlett in a cradle position against her chest, the change in position causing my baby's cries to die down slightly.

"Okay. I'll call you either way to let you know how she's doing. What do you think is wrong with her? I mean, she's never gotten such high fever in the handful of times she's gotten sick." I rambled to my Mum, though I could tell she was already contemplating my question herself by the look she's got on her face.

"I'm leaning toward an ear infection. It happened to you twice when you were her age. And it's normal for babies to get high fevers when they have an ear infection, as scary as it may sound. We're lucky you caught on to it on time, had we found out a couple of days later, she'd be going crazy." Mum murmured, and now that she told me she thought it was an ear infection, I realised Scarlett had been grabbing at her ears repeatedly.

"My poor baby... I'm going to be heading out then cause I don't know if the paediatric ward is full. I need to get Scar checked out as soon as possible." I notified my mother as I took Scarlett into my arms and covered her with her favourite blanket.

"You go do that, sweetheart. Let me know as soon as you arrive and meet up with Harry so I know you got there safely." Mum nodded, leaning toward me and kissing my forehead, doing the same on Scarlett's warm cheek.