New Determination

Sasuke's POV
___________

Something was bothering me. Why didn't Ida fight? She'd taken Kabuto on before by herself. Maybe because she knew I'd fight too, and she didn't think she'd take both of us on at the same time. It was bugging me though, and I couldn't find an answer so reluctantly I decided to ask Kabuto, "Hey?"

"Yes?" Kabuto looked down on me.

"Why didn't Ida fight?" I asked, despite his mocking smile.

"How should I know? She was your girlfriend." Kabuto scoffed. My what? Girlfriend. That is not what Ida was. She didn't even like me like that, and now she hates me.

I kept my cold glare and answered in a monotone, "There is nothing between us. But it didn't seem like something she would do. She did kick your butt twice, so I'm just wondering."

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Kabuto glare at me. "She looked extremely exhausted, and just a little beat up with all those scratches on her arms."

"So you think it was exhaustion that stopped her from fighting us?" I inquired.

"Yeah, and she probably didn't want to hurt her little boyfriend." Kabuto teased. I sent him my coldest glare I could muster. To my satisfaction he shuddered, and looked away.

Now that I think of it, Ida was probably running franticly around the forest for hours, and then she came after us. That would be taxing on any person.

"Girlfriend." I scoffed under my breath.

Ida's POV
________

"Goodbye, Duckbutt." I muttered, under my breath as soon as I couldn't see him or Kabuto anymore. Then slowly I walked over to see what I could do for Naruto. I sat beside him, and played with his hair.

Naruto had scratches, and deep gashes over his body. His breathing was regular though, so his life wasn't in danger. "I'm sorry Naruto." I whispered, taking my hand away from his hair. Maybe I shoudl've tried to fight both of them. I could've stopped them if I tried hard enough right? Naruto would've tried no matter what.

"Ugh, stop it Ida." I demanded myself. "It's too late for I should’ve, could've would’ves." That's a true statement. I couldn't do anything now. "Next time Naruto. I promise. I'll do my best to get Sasuke back." A light shone in my eyes, and I squinted over to see what it was. Sasuke's headband. I stood up, and went to go get it.

Clutching it in my hand, I walked back over and placed it in Naruot's hand while I sat by his head. "I'm too late, aren't I?" A voice I knew well asked.

"Yeah they're long gone. You're late as usual." I informed, looking up to Kakashi Sensei.

"Is he-"

"He'll be fine." I answered the not yet spoken question.

"Will you-"

"I'll be fine." I answered again.

"If you say so. But for now we need to get both of you back to the village." Kakashi said. I nodded my head. Kakashi came over to where I was sitting. He picked Naruto up, and gave him a piggy back ride. I pushed myself up to my feet, and followed closely behind Kakashi.

Soon after we took off, Naruto woke up. "Where's Sasuke?" He asked weakly.

"Naruto-" I cut off, when I felt my voice break. Was I really about to cry? Why should I cry over a traitor to the village? Because...he was my friend. Maybe more.

"Kakashi how's Naruto?" A random medical ninja asked.

"He'll pull through." Kakashi answered simply.