The Train Ride to Hogwarts

(Edited: December 2018)

Draco's POV

I watch as my fathers wings wrap my mother protectively in a cocoon of black, soft feathers. His purring is soft and even as she sleeps noiselessly. I am booming with jealously, I've been desperately waiting for my inheritance. My father is a veela, and my mother is his mate. She's told me the most amazing stories about veelas, their magnificent wings, joined with strikingly good looks, and inhuman strength... but, I've also heard horror stories. If a veela is rejected by their mate, they die within the day, and the all consuming jealousy or worse... you can't choose your mate. It could be a girl, guy, friend, or even teacher. I swear to god if my mate's dumbledore I'd really rather die.

"So, Draco." My father whispered quietly, not wanting to wake mother,"You're turning 16 tomorrow, that means your about to get your inheritance!"

I beam back at him,"I know, isn't it wonderful!" I say in a rushed whisper. "Will I have wings like yours, Father?"

"Ah son, all veela wings vary, but I reckon yours will be very similar, yes." He sighed. "But, you must know a couple things before you can safely be a veela."

"I already know most things, don't I? I know rejection is bad, you can't choose mate, your jealousy will spike. Isn't that all?" I said, confused.

"Well, those are the basics, yes, but there is so much more you need to know." He smiled down at mother. "You will experience many levels of pain, before you make contact with them, and might also find yourself delving into your mates emotions, experiencing his or hers most intense feelings. So, when speaking to people shake their hand, and look them directly into their eyes."

"Father, er- I always do that, and why would you specify to do that now?" I said, confusion coloring my face once again. "Well, son, you'll know when you are speaking to your mate, they will be the most amazingly beautiful thing you will ever see. And the first time you see them, they will have a gold aura, so thick it will radiate 5 inches off them." He smiled, and looked back to mother again. With a sigh, he checked the clock.

"Merlin, its 12 am already? Well, happy birthday Draco."

~Times skip 4 pm~

The pain was excruciating, I haven't left my bed, I don't think I could even if I wanted to. Waves of pain spread over me, getting more intense as it continued. Suddenly, it stopped. I sat up and yawned, only for the pain to return as quickly as it left, knocking me back down. Leaving me withering and screaming in pain. Over my own screams I could hear Mother whimpering and Fathers soft coos of reassurance.

I gasped for breath, and the pain started to calm down. I stood up shakily, and very, very slowly. I felt heavy, and fairly refreshed. Father burst through the door, followed closely by mother. Father was beaming, "Son, your wings, they're magnificent." Mother said, awestruck. Fathers eyes flickered red, but quickly turned back to their normal cool gray, the change impressively quick. I look around and stretch, gasping at the seemingly weightless wings that hung to my back, ready for action. I gawk at them, before attempting to raise them. They rise with no apparent difficulty.

"Draco, you might want to pack, Your mate awaits." Father says in a proud tone. My heart swells at the thought of my mate. I can imagine holding a mystery person close to me, never wanting to let go. "Oh and Draco? If you want we can fly to school." I nod vigorously, wanting to try my wings.