“Wow,” I laugh as I walk over to the chair. He grins, looking up before standing as Lou sends him to the shower to wash the bleach out. I look in the mirror, playing with the ends of my own hair while Luke takes the seat for Lou to put his hair up in the usual quiff.

“You sure like to surprise everyone don’t you?” I joke as Michael comes back out and takes his chair back.

“Got to keep them guessing,” he replies with a wink while Lou blows it dry.

“I could use a haircut,” I muse.

“Do something crazy,” Michael says instantly. “Shave it bald.” I let out a laugh.

“Nah… The Brittany Spears look isn’t really for me,” I tease.

“It’d be hot,” Ashton joins in from across the room, that stupid grin on his face. Lou taps Michael on the shoulder to tell him he was done and then motions me into the chair as he gets up. She plays with my hair, looking at me through the mirror.

“Do you want something different?” she asks.

“Kind of,” I tell her. “I’m alittle bored of this.”

“Do you trust me?” she asks and I hesitate.

“If I look like a clown I’m going to kill you,” I respond instead. She laughs, taking that as an ok and turning me around so I can’t see the mirror.

“If you look like a clown you are free to cut my hair,” she promises as she picks up the scissors. It only takes a few snips before the boys are swarmed around with large smiles on their face.

“She’s going to kill you,”

“Shut up Luke,”

“Oh my god,”

“Don’t look down,” Lou says as she continues snipping when I try to glance down to see the hair on the floor to gauge how much was gone. The boys’ comments had me nervous as to what was happening.

“Go,” I order when Luke pulls out his phone to take a picture. “Don’t you have a show to start?”

“You’re no fun,” he pouts putting it away, but I was right. Their manager walks into the room and calls them to the stage, leaving them rushing to grab the last minute things they needed before heading to the stage. Once the cutting is done, she mixes up a bowl of bleach and starts highlighting my hair. It’s only when I’m washing it out in the shower do I get an idea of how short it is.

“Ready to see?” Lou asks after she’s finished blow drying it and adding a bit of hairspray.

“Show me,” I order.  She turns the chair around with a confident smile and my jaw drops in the mirror. A quick glance down confirms the lack of hair on my head and my eyes jerk back up. It was short. Alot shorter than I’d anticipated, although it was a bit longer in the front. I turn my head to the side to see the back, my hands involuntarily going to touch my hair.

“So am I getting a haircut or not?” Lou jokes as I stand up.

“I don’t know what to say,” I answer. I didn’t even know what to think. It was so different that my brain was having trouble comprehending. It didn’t look bad. It was just different. I looked older. She lets out a laugh, packing up a few of the supplies and cleaning up the floor.

“I’ve got to go get the boys ready. I’ll leave you to take in your new do,” she teases and, unable to look away from the mirror, I give a nod. Once she was gone, I lean closer towards the mirror to examine my hair even more. I wondered how everyone would react. I force myself to look away and I walk out of the room. I flash the all access pass around my neck as I head toward the noise, finally emerging on the floor of the arena where one of the guards brings me to the sound board. I catch the end of the Aussie’s set and ignore the  looks around me from the fangirls who noticed my entrance. It starts getting  annoying after a couple minutes and I begin wondering why I’d even come out here to watch the show instead of just going back to the bus like usual. I’m about to leave when the lights dim again and a scream erupts from the crowd as the entry video starts playing.

During the second song, I start contemplating leaving again when Michael’s head pops up next to me.

“Surprised to see you here” he comments and I give a shrug in response. “So what do you think?”

“That Good Girls song was decent,” I admit, finally looking over to see the rest of the band had made their way out to watch the boys on stage. Michael chuckles, looking mildly amused by my answer.

“I meant about your hair, but I’m glad you liked the song,” he jokes.

“Oh,” I say feeling my cheeks turn pink.

“Well I think its nice,” he says. “You look just like Niall now.” The words are barely out of his mouth before I’ve smacked him in the chest. “Heyyy,” he jokingly complains, rubbing the place I hit. “ I could’ve said you looked like me… we could be the three musketeers… ouch!” he whines as I hit him again. “Jeez, Liam must like it rough.” I raise an arm to hit him again but he quickly takes a step back, raising his arms in surrender. “Ok, Ok, I’m done,” he says. “So are you staying for the show?” he asks, nodding at the boys on stage.

“I don’t know, maybe,” I say with a shrug. I hadn’t actually watched the whole show since I’d gone with my sister. A part of me thought maybe I should. I look towards the stage, which is pretty hard to see from back here, but I’m able to pick out Liam on one of the sides as he points to someone in the audience then puts his hand on his stomach and does his little dance thing. I almost felt proud of him. Seeing him up on the stage, you could tell he could do this for the rest of his life and never once regret it. He knew what he wanted from life and he had gone and gotten it. I was jealous of him, I realized, my mood souring.

“Where are you going?” Michael asks as I step away from the rail.

“I’m going back to the bus,” I mutter. I was pretty sure there was a bottle of wine in one of the cabinets and god knows I needed a drink now. I couldn’t wait to get out of here. Away from all these people who had life figured out.