Elodie’s POV

Can’t you just skip out on the rest and come early?

I frown a bit as I read the text, feeling conflicted. More than anything, I wanted to head to New York. I missed my old friends and I was eager to get back to the clubs. It had been so long since I’d gotten belligerently drunk and I couldn’t wait to do it again. But at the same time, I’d sort of promised Liam I’d stay. And besides, it would be weird if I was there and he was here after spending so many months together.

Can’t. Dad would freak I text her back, knowing it would be a believable excuse with what I’d told them about his controlling nature.

Lame she responds almost instantly.

Only a week more I answer.

Good. We’re going to get shitfaced

Her response makes me chuckle, and I’m still chuckling as the boys return to the dressing room after the meet and greet.

“What’s so funny?” Liam asks falling down onto the couch beside me.

“Nothing,” I respond, pocketing my phone and dropping the smile.

“So I’ve got some good news for you,” he says.

“Yea?” I ask doubtfully, raising an eyebrow.

“Yea,” he says with a nod. “I was talking with Lou earlier and she said she’d be willing to give you a job as her assistant. You’d be able to come back to London with us and on our tours and everything.”

“And that’s supposed to be good news?” I ask flatly. His look of surprise tells me that yes it was. “Do you really think this is something I wanted to be doing?”

“Well… you can sew and you like… clothes…” he says in a lame attempt to persuade me.

“And you can cook and like food. Does that mean you want to be a chef?” I retort. “This was something I did because I had to. Not something I wanted to. And what about New York hmm?”

“Well I thought…”

“I’m going to New York. Got it? I don’t need you planning my life for me. God, you’re worse than my father sometimes.” I didn’t really mean it and I felt a bit bad as the words flowed out, but at the same time who was he to tell me how to live my life? If I wanted to go to New York, I would and nobody was going to stop me.

“Ok,” he says, holding his hands up in a surrender. “It was just an idea. You can go to New York if you want.” Despite my victory, I feel a bit guilty This in turn causes a wave of anger to wash over me. Only he could make me feel guilty about doing something I wanted to do.  Back before I’d joined this tour, I couldn’t have given a rat’s ass if someone was upset by something I’d done. But this damn boy could make me feel guilty over the littlest things.

“Look, we’ll stay in tonight if you want,” I say in an attempt to compromise. He nods his head but I can tell his thoughts are elsewhere. I sigh, slumping down into the couch and taking my phone out again. I didn’t have any new texts or anything, but I still acted like I was talking to people to avoid the awkward silence. After a minute, he sighs and gets up, heading towards the door.

“Where are you going?” I ask.

“Well you’re obviously busy,” he says hardly even glancing back. “I’m going to go see what the others are up to. Maybe get some work done.” With that, he heads to the other corner of the room where the rest of the band was all gathered. It was only seconds later that I hear him start laughing at something Louis says, causing me to slump down further into the couch. It didn’t do any good to sulk yet here I was. I had to shake this mood. Standing up, I head for the door of the dressing room, making a point not to look over at the boys as I leave. Out in the hall, I pause for a second as I try to figure out where to go before eventually heading for the Aussies dressing room. They’d be getting ready to go on right now, but the chaos would keep me distracted. Sure enough, when I walk in, Lou is pulling the last bits of tin foil out of Michael’s hair, revealing newly bleached blond hair.