Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-three

Back on the bus, my mind was racing, everything flashing back in quick visions; like a silent black and white movie set to fast forward.

I was in the middle this time, Ami to my right still holding the kitten, while Ikuto sat to my left being unnervingly quiet. I really hope I didn't upset him.

My hand lifted to my mouth, covering a yawn as my oh too early morning wake up finally caught up to me; the boring ride back making my eyes grow heavy with exhaustion. The next thing I knew, I was waking up to Ami shaking me violently.

It was a good thing my head was resting on the glass behind me, because I fear if it wasn't, she would be causing me to bump my head countless times against it from how hard she was moving my body.

"Onee-chan, wake up! I'm hawngry, let's go hoooooome!"

I blinked, looking around to see the Guardian Characters floating behind her with amused expressions, Ikuto standing there watching with a distant appearance. Was he still mad?

I stood, nodding before grabbing her hand and exiting the train, making our way back to the snowy streets towards our home. Since Ikuto lived so close, he walked the two of us back to our front door.

Ami let herself in when I turned to thank him, though he had his body turned to the side, his gaze fixated on the distance. I felt so bad, but I didn't know what to do. Had I really hurt him, perhaps more than I hurt Tadase? Man, maybe I shouldn't have a boyfriend at all, seems like all I do is hurt people.

Wait a minute, did I just call Ikuto my...

"I've got something I need to take care of. Later, Amu..."

He didn't even give me the chance to say anything, he character changed and leapt into the air with Yoru before I could gather my thoughts; leaving me standing there confused more than ever.

Ran, Miki, Su and Dia quietly floating around me, watching just as I had to Ikuto's body disappearing into the night.

I really hate myself right now. I have never felt this horrible before in my whole entire life.

Once inside, mom and dad greeted us both happily, dad trying to see what was in the bags before I had the chance to tell them hi.

He was so nosey! Trying to get a peek at his present before I could wrap it, but this year I knew this was coming and I made sure to hide it for this simple reason.

Though his attention was stolen by the kitten to my surprise, leaving my cleaver plan pretty much useless when he ran over to Ami and started to flail his arms with glee.

"What is this?! Stay just like that my little princess, let papa capture how cute this is!"

The camera was out, and Ami was posing for pictures with the kitten in the blink of an eye; another typical night in the Hinamori household.

I took the bags to my room, then went downstairs to quickly eat dinner so I could tackle wrapping the gifts and making the friendship bracelets for Rima and Yaya. After that was finished, Su and I threw together some sugar cookies for Nagihiko and Tadase, and on the side Miki suggested making a little batch of chocolate eclairs for Ikuto and Yoru to thank them for everything.

We hadn't finished wrapping the sweets by the time everyone went to bed, leaving me alone with my Guardian Characters to try to finish preparations for tomorrow.

As excited as I was, a small part of my gut still felt uneasy, I couldn't get Ikuto off my mind. Or the look on Tadase's face.

I slowly made my way up the stairs, the little kitten sitting at the last step waiting for my arrival. He had went to bed with Ami, but I guess I must have woke him with the noise of cooking.