Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

Since it was only a five-minute walk to my house, we were back with twenty minutes to spare, a small part of me thankful that my dad wasn't running laps around the house anymore.

On the doorstep we both paused, looking at each other somehow expectantly.

"Thank you for, you know, dinner and walking me home."

Yoru popped his head out from Ikuto's jacket through the neckline, his paws tugging down the fabric so he could see what was going on.

Iktuo leaned down as my eyes closed, about to kiss my forehead when the door suddenly flew open, a hand reaching out to grab me, jerking my body into the house like a rag doll while the door slammed behind me.

My dad stood there squeezing me tightly in a bear hug, way, way too tightly. I couldn't even breathe enough to tell him I was suffocating.

It also didn't help the situation that I could hear Ikuto laughing outside the door at what just happened. I was going to have to apologize to him later, that was for sure.

"Oh my Amu, you have returned to papa! Did that bad boy hurt youuuu?! Let me see you, I haven't seen you in so long I've forgotten what my precious little girl looks like! Oh Amu why must you be so mean to papa?!"

"Papa," I tried to choke out between every other word he wailed with tears streaming down his face, "papa... I've only been gone half the day."

"In that case, you're... you're grounded! You're not allowed to leave that spot you're standing in."

"But papa, what if I have to go to the bathroom... and I have school, remember?"

Mom came down the stairs just then, giggling while waving a dismissive hand at how her husband was behaving. "Oh papa, she is at that age."

His body suddenly froze over, jumping back from me as if he had to look me over and make sure I was his child.

"Wah-what age?! Oh no, NO, you're now ten! I say you're ten!"

I had to blink at his concept, like he could really change my age by telling me how old he wants me to be.

Ami, who had walked down the stairs behind mom stopped in her tracks, staring at him with her hands on her hips.

"But papa, I'm ten! Onee-chan is seventeen remember!"

He started to cry uncontrollably then, flailing his arms as he took off running.

"You're all so cruel to papaaaaaaa, I'm running away!"

And with that, he slammed the bathroom door, locking himself inside. Yup, dad's logic was always a bit questionable. Whenever he said he was running away, it always ends with him locked in the downstairs bathroom.

I sighed, rubbing my temples before mom pulled me into a gentle hug, stroking my hair.

"You know papa means well, sometimes we all just have to over-look him is all," she smiled down at me then, kissing the top of my head before releasing me to go and see if she could talk dad into stopping his tantrum and come back out of hiding.

Ami was grinning from ear to ear when I looked back to her which made me jump, staring almost like she was waiting for me to say something. I felt a little uneasy by how she innocently batted her eyes, leaning in closer.

"W-What," I asked leaning away from her with a raised brow.

"How did it go with the cute guy?! If you don't want him, can I have him?"

"NO!"

She puffed out her cheeks, crossing her arms while pouting with a stomped foot, trying to give me the puppy dog face.

"Well why not?"

"I'm not even going to answer that," I groaned out in reply while stomping up the stairs by her, not making it to the safety of my room fast enough. Once inside, I couldn't be happier to shut the door, having my Guardian Characters float over to greet me happily.

I had missed them all day.

"Su missed her Amu, desu," Su said floating into my arms, hugging my neck as I held her in return. Ran, Miki and Dia joining the hug as I walked over to sit on the bed with them in my arms.

"Why didn't you guys tell me there was something bothering you? About the coma's and how you sense something in the air? I'm so sorry I didn't realize this sooner."

"Su is sorry, desu," her voice was a whisper, head nuzzling up under my chin.

"Yeah, we're sorry Amu-chan, we just didn't want to worry you. A happy Amu is the best Amu," Ran chanted happily, she too, nuzzling into me.

"How did it go with Ikuto," Miki asked in a shy tone, "did Yoru ask about me?"

I had to giggle, she must have an even bigger crush on the little cat then I thought.

"It was... interesting. We had a meeting at Tadase's about what's going on then Ikuto and I," my cell went off then, my curiosity getting the best of me. I flipped it open to see I had a new text from the exact guy we were just talking about.

Message Received: From Ikuto

Your dad is entertaining. When are you going shopping?

Miki floated over to read the text excitedly, resting on my shoulder. The other's huddled around as well to read the conversation.

"Tell Yoru I said hi."

Message Sent: To Ikuto

Sorry about that, and I'm not sure. I was hoping tomorrow but I have to get through the interrogation with Yaya and Rima first. Also, tell Yoru that Miki says hi.

Message Received: From Ikuto

I'll met you at the train station at six. Later.

I sat there staring at my phone, astonished. Ikuto was going shopping with me?

I finished explaining my day to the Guardians, then tried my best to write replies to the abundance of texts I never answered earlier. After everything was said and done, I grabbed a quick bath and crawled into bed worn out. This day had not only been physically draining, but emotionally draining.

Man I really hope tomorrow goes better.