Chapter 22

It took some good time before you got your thoughts in order, your mind was still half-asleep as it was currently three o'clock in the morning. You pulled away from Dick and used the corner of the bedsheet to dry your eyes.

"What happened Dick? How did he..."

"I don't know exactly. Bruce called and said I needed to reach some certain coordinates as quickly as I could and that Joker had Jason. I only took a few minutes but by the time I got there it was too late." His voice shook and the tears started falling again. "I arrived to find Bruce holding Jason's battered body among the debris of the warehouse. We checked again and again but there was no pulse."

"How is Bruce?"

"I have never seen him so distraught, he blames himself for what happened. I couldn't bear to stay there any longer."

A week had passed and you stood in the small graveyard of Wayne Manor. Dick held your hand tightly as the priest said his words. Barbara sat beside you in her wheelchair, her father stood behind her, resting his hand on her shoulder. Alfred and Bruce stood at the opposite side of the coffin. You hadn't seen Bruce in a while but you were initially shocked at the state of which he looked, it was as if he had aged years in a matter of weeks. He held a blank expression throughout the service however his eyes were stained red and there were large bags that had formed underneath them. Alfred told you that Bruce had thrown himself into his work, he spent the daylight hours at the company and the nights as the vigilante; having not slept for a week. He had kept a distance from everyone throughout the day and, frankly, you were too afraid to initiate a conversation. 

The speech ended and you all stood in silence as you watched the coffin lower six feet beneath the ground. Bruce left briskly, with Alfred and the Gordons soon following him after saying their final goodbyes. 

"Are you okay?" You asked Dick, whose mind seemed to be a million miles away from where you were. 

"Yeah, I will be."

You dabbed the tears on his cheeks with the sleeve of your coat, "Bruce doesn't seem to be doing too well. Do you think we should talk to him?"

"I tried. He's not the type to openly discuss his feelings. He will distance himself and brood alone, but he will pull through. He just needs time."

You wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight embrace. "If you ever want to discuss your feelings, I'm always going to be here for you." 

"I know." He held you and buried his head into your shoulder. "But for now, I just need some time."

"Okay, take all the time you need. I'll be inside." You left after giving him a small kiss on the cheek. 

You entered the grand living room, seeing Barbara sitting by the fireplace. 

"How are you holding up?" You asked, approaching her. 

"I'm doing fine, well, the best I can given the circumstances."

You nodded. "And how is everything else?" You replied gesturing to her lower abdomen which had recently taken a bullet. 

"Spending my nights in this thing is taking some getting used to, but I'm finding a way to make myself useful that doesn't require the use of my legs."

"Do you know if you'll ever be able to walk again?"

"The doctors said it would be very unlikely."

"I'm sorry Babs, if there ever is anything I can do to help please don't be afraid to ask." You placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. 

"Thank you (Y/N)."