Chapter 11

The sound of loud banging against your apartment window made you drop your mug of tea. You froze in shock. The banging against the pane of glass was growing more frequent and powerful, at this point you were surprised the window hadn't smashed already.

You carefully opened the curtain to reveal the masked vigilante struggling to keep himself upright as his bloody, gloved hand continued tapping the glass, leaving a red mess across the surface.

Without any further thought you quickly opened the window as wide as you could, Nightwing tumbled in and was lying on the floor. You instantly helped him up by leaning him against  the side of the sofa. It was only then that you realised just how much blood was gushing out the side of his torso. All the millions of questions that were quickly consuming your brain had to be ignored as you quickly found a blanket and firmly pressed it against where his weak hands were covering the wound.

His breathing was shallow and his head had dropped. "What should I do?" Your shaky voice was almost inaudible.

He raised his hand towards his ear and tried to take out an earpiece but with his current physical state, there was a great difficulty. You took his hand away and removed the small piece of technology for him. He pressed a small button and gestured for you to use it. You held the small device to your ear and within a couple of seconds it spoke to you,

"How may I help, Master Grayson?" The last word from what sounded like an elderly Englishman, shock you to the bone. Time seemed to freeze as all the pieces started to fit together, suddenly everything made sense. Tears in your eyes started to fall as the reality kicked in and remembered your now superhero boyfriend was minutes away from breathing his last breath.

"Master Grayson! Richard! Dick, can you hear me?" The voice was somewhat politely yelling at you.

"He needs help." Were the only words that escaped your lips. You inhaled a deep breath and spoke again, "Nightwing is really hurt, he showed me to use this earpiece so if you can help please, he's dying." Your last words were a tremble as you broke down in tears again.

"Miss, I have sent someone to your coordinates, ETA five minutes. In the meantime you need to keep him conscious."

"Ok."

"I-I'm .. sorry.." He struggled to speak, spitting blood between words.

"Ssshhh You've got nothing to apologise for."

You removed his mask, and revealing his face proved what you already knew, despite the fact he didn't look like the Dick you knew, the bright sparkle in his ocean eyes had extinguished, his neat, silky raven hair was stained with blood and covered half his face. You wiped away the blood from the corner of his lip with your sleeve and swept the hair out of his face, leaving a kiss on his forehead. You tasted salt and iron but it didn't matter to you, if he wasn't struggling for oxygen so much already your lips wouldn't have left his for the last few minutes.

The seconds seemed to be taking hours, Dick's head was rested against your chest as you stroked his hair and spoke sweet nothings into his ear to keep him awake.

"Miss (L/N), can you hear me?" The man in the earpiece spoke again, having somehow learned your name.

"Yeah, I'm here."

"You must listen carefully, take Nightwing to the roof of the building where you will rendezvous with the aircraft."

"Ok." You took in a deep breath and pushed away all your thoughts and focused primarily on keeping your boyfriend's heart beating.

You lifted him to his feet and helped him towards the staircase to the roof. Many groans of pain escaped his lips throughout the journey and just as you were about to reach the top there was a loud rumbling that could have woken up the entire city.

You finally reached the raining rooftop and found what looked like a hybrid between a plane and space rocket parked right in front of you. A shutter opened and you aided Dick into the vehicle. The interior was almost set out like the inside of an ambulance with a monotone colour theme, and an armoury. You placed Dick on the hospital bed and felt the thrusters fire up as the shutter closed behind you. There was no doubt about the fact that the vehicle you were currently about to take off in belonged to the Batman. It started to fly itself through the gloomy night sky, you held on tightly to the hand of the man lying beside you. It was only then that you realised just how much your hands were shaking, you couldn't tell if it was out of the adrenaline or fear. However they soon calmed down after feeling a weak squeeze back, reassuring you that there was still some consciousness left in him.

"Everything is going to be okay." You told him, although you were still trying to convince yourself. Your once white t-shirt was stained red with blood and the only sound filling the space were his small, but desperate gasps for life.