Chapter 1

"Good morning (Y/N)," a dirty blonde woman in her mid forties called out to you as you unlocked the door to Pauli's Diner to let yourself in.

"Hi June, let me help you with those," you replied, putting your hand bag and jacket on a nearby table and rushing over to help the owner with stacking glasses. The time was twenty minutes past six in the early morning and on a normal day you would be working your shift until ten in the evening. Most of the time you would have to beg to work some extra hours as this job was the only income of money you had, but June would never let you out in the streets after ten o'clock, even though you lived in one of the better parts of the city. She had always been like family to you, as your parents live hundreds of miles away in Central City.

Just fifteen minutes after opening you were already busy scribbling down breakfast orders and pouring endless cups of coffee, this hour just before people head off to work was always one of the busier times of the day. The scent of frying bacon and pancakes filled the whole diner to the ceiling.

Just as the rush hour was coming to an end, your best friend came through the door. Luckily for the both of you her workplace was only located a ten minute walk away so every morning at eight she would come for her favourite breakfast food. And when she needed a little extra cash she would work a couple of hours at the diner on the weekend with you.

"What will it be for you today?" You asked as she sat herself down on a stool at the counter.

"The usual please." She answered in a yawn.

"Monday morning huh?"

"You could say that. I was so busy procrastinating the load of work I have to do for this morning that I didn't end up actually starting it until 2am." She complained in a dull voice.

"Well don't expect any sympathy from me or your boss for that matter, you should really get into the habit of doing work in decent hours." You prodded her with your pencil as her eyes were slowing fluttering shut.

"Thanks for the lecture mum. Now stop slacking and do your job. Get me some coffee. I'll be having it black today."

"Yes ma'am," you playfully rolled your eyes and followed her orders.

The two of you sat next to each other in silence, both enjoying eating breakfast.

"Hey (Y/N), turn up the volume, I want to watch the news." (B/F/N) pointed at the small television mounted on the wall across the counter. You complied to find the presenter of the breakfast news speaking in a serious tone, almost robot-like about what seemed like something other than the city's increase in criminal activity.

"....eye witness reports confirm this shadow-like figure is a male and describe him to be armed with two electrically charged batons and what can only be described as sharp bird-shaped objects, of which were found at the scene. The authorities are still unsure of the identity of the mysterious figure that left one of the city's most wanted men, Carlos Ramirez, unconscious outside the Blüdhaven Police Department..." In the top right hand corner of the screen was an image of a man tied against a lamppost just outside the main entrance of the police station. The thing that caught your eye, however, was the small bird-shaped object in the criminal's hands, it was a dark blue and must have been sharp due to the red stains across his palms and fingers. You wondered what it meant maybe it was some sort of calling card. Maybe this mystery man was a foe of Ramirez, wanting revenge or wanting to take over Blüdhaven's criminal underworld.

You thoughts were broken by your best friend stating her views on the current news, "The last thing this city needs is some arrogant guy who thinks he's so above the law he can take matters into his own hands and beat up whoever he bloody well pleases. It's not up to him who the criminals are and whether they need a punch, it's the freaks like him that bring the lunatics, I mean, look at Gotham. The only reason the crazies go there is to meet the big, bad bat, he's like a psychopath magnet."

You opened you mouth to argue back but decided against it at the last second as you knew she was only ranting because she was in a bad mood due to the lack of sleep and she was going to be late for work if she didn't leave right this minute.

"It's twenty minutes past eight you should get going you don't want to be late for work as well!"

"You're right, I should get going." She quickly hoovered up the last of her food. "Thanks June, see you tomorrow!" She shouted in the direction of the kitchen.

"No problem sweetie, breakfast is on the house." The woman smiled exiting the kitchen with a tray of food and drink and and handing it to a customer in a booth. (B/F/N) swiftly started her journey, leaving ten dollars by her empty plate anyway.

As you went around collecting dirty dishes and occasionally taking an order, your mind was still wondering about this blue bird.