Chapter 17

You were awoken from your peaceful sleep by an array of gentle kisses being planted across your face. Your eyes fluttered open to meet Dick's crystal blue ones, along with his signature smile which reanimated the butterflies in your stomach.

"Wake up sleepy head," He whispered and finished his kissing frenzy with a sweet, long one on your lips.

"That was a really nice way to be woken up," you smiled.

"I was gonna use the air horn, but then I saw how cute you were when you were sleeping." His voice was still low and soft as you were still lying with your faces inches apart.

"Aren't you just the most thoughtful?"

"Yes. I am." He replied standing up, you realised that he was fully dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. "Anyway, it's almost the afternoon and we planned on leaving first thing in the morning. I didn't want to waste any more of the day so I've already packed your stuff in the car. All you need to do is get dressed." He tossed you some clothes.

"You've been very efficient today, even picked my clothes for me."

"Well, it's not like there was a lot to choose from. Seeing as all your other clothes have been burnt to ashes."

His last comment caused to to lob a pillow at him.

"Too soon?" He chuckled.

"Yeah, 24 hours is a little too soon."

Suddenly he picked you up bridal-style out of the bed, "I'm sorry and I promise I'll make it up to you. But you need to get out of bed in order for us to get back to Blüdhaven and track down Blockbuster."

"Alright, I'll be ready in a minute, just let me get changed."

"Good. But in the meantime.." Dick picked up the neglected air horn, "..Jase is still asleep, we wouldn't wan to let him waste his whole day away in bed."

"Don't do it Dick. It will not end well."

"It's too late, I've already walked out the door." He replied with a smirk and continued along the hallway.

You closed the door behind him and started dressing yourself. It took less than a minute until the chaos erupted. The horn was blown, followed by a smashing sound and various insults and curses screamed by Jason.

Dick burst through the door moments after the mayhem had come to an end.

"What did I tell you?" You gave the the 'I told you so face'.

"It was still worth it, despite the glass being thrown at my head." He replied with a smug look on his face, clearly pleased with himself. "Anyway, you look ready to go. We should head off while there's still daylight."

"It is still only 12."

"Yes but at your pace, we'll be lucky if we leave within the week." He teased.

He picked up the bag that he had packed for you and left the room with you following close behind. You said your goodbyes to only Alfred and Jason, as it was midday Bruce was at Wayne Enterprises and Barbara had already gone home.

Dick showed you down to the garage where Bruce's expensive car collection was located. There were about fifteen different cars ranging from a vintage red Ferrari to a futuristic-looking purple Lamborghini lurking in the far right corner.

"Which one do you reckon?" Dick asked.

"Any?" You questioned in awe.

"Yeah, Alfred drives Bruce everywhere so the only one he uses is the Batmobile."

You scanned over each one, you knew next to nothing about cars so choosing one was purely based on looks. Considering you were only going to Blüdhaven from Gotham, you didn't want to go for anything too flashy as it would probably attract the wrong type of attention. Ultimately, you decided on a blue convertible Mercedes Benz, knowing Dick would be proud of the colour choice.

"Let's go for the Mercedes." You said walking up to it.

"Nice choice." Dick replied, opening a hidden safe in the wall to obtain the keys. He pressed a button and the boot of the car automatically started to open for you to dump the bags in to.

Dick quickly accelerated out of the garage and he drove through the empty surrounding road of the manor at full speed into the city. However that rush was short lived as the city traffic was particularly horrendous. Some criminal had threatened Gotham and it seemed like the whole population of the city were trying to escape to Blüdhaven.

To pass the time you had plugged in your phone to the car and made a Car Journeys Playlist featuring quality classics such as Highway to Hell and Shut Up And Drive, of which Dick was particularly enjoying. The two of you had also eaten your whole way through the snacks that Alfred had given you 'just in case' , these included four waffles, a tube of Pringles and two sandwiches.

After the long hours of traffic you had finally made it to Blüdhaven, although you had only been gone a couple of days, after everything that had happened, it felt like months.

"You want me to go the long way?" Dick asked with a look of concern on his face as you begun to approach your old home.

"No. I want to see it."

"Are you sure? I can't guarantee that there'll be much left of it."

"I'm sure."

As you reached the remains of the building, Dick slowed down the car. The sight brought tears to your eyes yet again. The only part of the block still intact was the lower levels, surrounded by a line of police tape. However your floor and every one above had been turned to rubble, the red brick dyed black from the smoke. Dick rested his hand on your shoulder and didn't say a word. You both watched and sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Let's go." The sound barely escaped through the lump in your throat.

He nodded and drove off again, leaving your old life behind you.

It was your first time seeing Dick's apartment, it was a modern with a. monochrome colour scheme, it more resembled a showroom than a home. It lacked personality, the only evidence of an  inhabitant was a large Flying Graysons poster on the living room wall. The whole place was kept in pristine condition, which was not something you would expect from Dick. It wasn't until you reached the bedroom that Dick's true colours had shown. Empty beer bottles scattered the surrounding floor of an unmade bed and beside it stood a cluttered desk. The adjacent wall was also in the same untidy state, as you got a closer look you saw that it was made up of photos and newspaper cuttings of stories about the Desmond brothers.

"Welcome to my secret lair," Dick said from behind you.

"It's very glamorous," you replied, picking up a pair of his dirty boxers from the bed in order to make room to sit down. 

"You better make yourself comfortable, we've got a long night ahead of us."