Chapter 21

Your eyes fluttered open, for a moment you didn't recognise your surroundings but the  expensive silkiness and familiar scent of the bedsheets triggered your mind to replay the memories of the night before. You couldn't help a huge grin spread across your face as you rolled over to meet a pair of ocean eyes. 

"Good morning beautiful." he smiled at you and tucked a loose strand of hair behind your ear. 

You leaned in and gave him a kiss as an attempt to hide your growing blush. 

"Good morning Grayson." You spoke softly and felt his smile against your lips. 

"I missed this," Dick breathed between kisses, then wrapped his arms more tightly around you and nuzzled his face into the crook of your neck. 

"Me too," you replied, running your fingers through his matted, raven hair. "When was the last time you showered?"

"It would have been last night, until you rudely interrupted me."

"You didn't sound too upset once  I was-"

"Ok, ok, I'm going to shower." He climbed out of bed, showing off his muscular build. You noticed there were many new scars across his arms and torso, some cuts from a blade and some bullet wounds.

"Feel free to join me," he winked, and you watched his toned ass walk to the bathroom.

"In your dreams bird boy!" you called back.

However you could only resist the urge for so long. It was only two minutes before you rushed in the shower with him.

After the prolonged shower, the two of you headed to the kitchen to find that Alfred was already making lunch.

"Ah, Master Dick, Miss (Y/N), I'm glad to see the two of you are well. I heard some commotion in the night, and again rather recently coming from the direction of your quarters. I wondered if-"

"Everything's fine Alfred," Dick hastily interrupted, his face turning a deep shade of red.

"Very well," there was a faint smirk tugging at the lips of the old man. "I have prepared some sandwiches, if you are hungry. You should also be informed that Master Bruce and the commissioner have successfully apprehended the Joker and he is being contained in Arkham Asylum. For now..." he mumbled the last part to himself.

You and Dick sat and ate some sandwiches and Alfred had found something to do somewhere else.

"Dick, we need to talk about where we are with things."

"What do you mean? We're back together again, aren't we?"

"As amazing as these past twelve hours have been, I've got to go back to Central City tonight. And in a couple of weeks I'll be moving almost three thousand miles away from you," at this point your voice was shaking and you fighting hard to hold back the tears. "I just don't want us to have to be apart again." You couldn't bear to look at him, you knew the tears would escape and start pouring like a waterfall.

"(Y/N)," he spoke softly and gently held your cheek, forcing you to look at him. "Everything is going to work out. We don't have to be apart, you can stay here."

"I don't have a job here, let alone an apartment."

"Luckily for you I happen to know the owner of a multi-billion dollar company, where I think there may be an opening in their Blüdhaven branch. And as for you accommodation, I know a lovely penthouse apartment, located only twenty minutes away from Wayne Technologies and in very close proximity to your amazing boyfriend." As he spoke he had gradually edged himself closer to you, he was so close you could feel his gentle breath against your cheeks.

 "What do you say?" He whispered.

"I can't ask that fro-"

"Try again."

"Thank you."

He snaked an arm around your waist and pulled you in for a deep kiss.

Dick took the last moving box off you as you struggled up the stairs. 

"Are you sure you brought enough stuff?" He asked as you entered the apartment, it was almost unrecognisable as it was filled floor to ceiling with cardboard boxes. 

"I think this will suffice."

You jumped to sit on the kitchen counter and started sorting through some boxes. Dick stood between you legs, pulled something out the box, and was suddenly in hysterics. He showed you the photo, it was a picture of you, taken before attending your middle school prom. You had multiple coloured hair extensions and eyeliner so excessive you looked like a racoon. The dress you wore was black, along with a pair of black fishnets. 

"Avril Lavigne was every fourteen year old girl's idol at the time," you tried to reason with your horrific fashion choices. "You can't tell me that you don't have any embarrassing photos of yourself."

Dick gave you a smile and pulled out his wallet from the back pocket of his jeans. He opened it up and withdrew a small, folded up photo and handed it to you. It presented a young black haired boy who couldn't have been older than eight years old, he was accompanied by a man and a woman in the background. The boy wore a sparkly blue jumpsuit, his parents donned a similar ensemble. They all wore an emblem that had the appearance of the silhouette of a bird.

"Wow, I'm sure you dazzled the crowd with those sequins," you chuckled.  "Was this where Nightwing got it's inspiration." You pointed at the emblem displayed across the young acrobat's sparkly uniform.

He reclaimed the faded photo, stoking its chaffed edges. "Yeah, although Bruce has done his best, I didn't want to forget my roots."

"Your parents look lovely, I wish I could have met them."

"Me too. They would have adored you." He pulled you close planted a long, but soft kiss on your lips. 

The doorbell suddenly rang, making you jump. 

"Who would that be?" You were hesitant to open the door so recently after the event that happed with Barbara.

"I ordered pizza," Dick accepted the food and shut the door again behind him. "I can't go on patrol with an empty stomach."

You cuddled on the sofa, eating pizza and watching a couple episodes of the TV show you shared a favouritism for, while waiting for night to fall. Dusk arrived, and you watched as Nightwing leaped from the balcony, there were a few moments of worry before you saw him grapple upwards to the next building.

You spent the next hours unpacking the multitude of boxes but it wasn't long before tiredness overwhelmed you. You took a quick shower, threw on one of Dick's oversized shirts and wrapped yourself up in the sheets of the bed. 

There was a loud clattering at the corner of the room where the window was located, which woke you up. You sat up and when you saw Dick you immediately knew that something wasn't right. 

"Dick, what happened?" You asked as he slowly walked towards you. he peeled of his mask and as he got closer, you noticed his bloodshot eyes and tears that were pouring down his cheeks. 

He instantly fell into your arms and fell into an uncontrollable sob, you had never seen him in such a state. You held him tightly and stroked his hair as the sleeve at the shoulder of the shirt you were wearing began to dampen. It was a couple of minutes before he spoke,

"The Joker escaped Arkham.." he began with a weak voice. You held his head in your hands and wiped away the tears with your thumbs. "He got Jason." He began crying again.

"What do you mean love?" You tried to keep your voice as steady as possible.

"Joker planted a bomb. We tried, Bruce and I tried to get there in time. W-We weren't quick enough." 

"What are you saying Dick?" By now you couldn't control the tears.

"He's gone (Y/N). He's gone..."

You both sat on the bed, embracing one another as you wept oceans.