XXXII. Madness

____________________

  "No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness." 
―Aristotle   

_____________________

"Is that true...mother?" tanong ni Chaos kay Emilia. Napaamang si Emilia dito.

"Chaos---" humahangos si Emilia upang puntahan ito ngunit mabilis itong tumayo at lumayo mula dito

"No! Don't touch me! Don't you even dare!" he roared

"Chaos! Anak! Let me explain! Don't believe her! She's a liar! She's----"

"All this time, she's the one who's been lying to you." malamig na saad ni Altria at saka humarap kay Chaos.

"You may or may not believe me, and I won't hold it against you because I know that it's a lot to take in. Especially you've never seen me before. But I am glad to meet you at last my darling Chaos." Altria smiled as she touched his cheek. Chaos flinched.

"Don't touch him!" sigaw ni Emilia ngunit hindi ito pinansin ni Altria.

"I will take my leave now. I don't want to torment your emotions by being here any longer Chaos. I'm sorry that you and your siblings got caught in all of these. And I'm sorry for failing to protect you, Helaena and Corvette" anito sa mababang tono as she bowed

"If only I could turn back time and make things right, I would never allow anyone to take you away from me"

Saglit na tinapunan ni Altria si Emilia ng tingin.

"My 'madness' as you called it Emilia, is now everything you covet, everything you stole from me, and everything I shall take back" anito saka umalis.

Napapikit si Emilia habang nararamdaman niya ang pagka-upos na tila isang kandilang sinisilaban ng buo saka nagbalik sa kanyang ala-ala ang nakaraan...

***

"Altria?" Untag niya sa nakatatandang kapatid, ngunit patuloy lamang sa pagtugtog ng piano si Altria na tila walang naririnig. Imbes na nakapikit gaya ng karaniwang nangyayari sa mga tumutugtog ng piano ay nakadilat ito, ngunit animo ay wala itong nakikita o naririnig.

Her eyes were dead as her expert fingers danced through every key of the piano.

"Leave her be Emilia, you know very well that this is how your sister concentrates. Do you want to destroy her zone?" Saway sa kanya ng kanilang ama. Agad namang napipilan si Emilia.

"Altria, my beloved daughter is a genius in every way there is. Isn't she just a wonderful specimen Monsignor Montefalco?" Untag ng kanilang ama sa matalik nitong kaibigan.

"Indeed. Altria's marvel and talents would be a waste to my Aidan." Malungkot na iling ng kaibigan ng kanilang Papa.

"Nonsense my friend! Even before Altria and Aidan were born, their marriage was predestined. Give Aidan time, I am sure he'll get around and get serious to be able to be a good match to our Altria. Am I right Aidan?" Untag ng kanilang ama sa binatilyong katabi nito na patuloy lamang pinagmamasdan si Altria.

"I'll try my best Monsignor Leventis" anito ngunit umiling ang kanyang ama at hinawakan ito sa magkabilang balikat.

"Trying is simply not enough my boy. You have to be determined! You do understand that being Altria's spouse will be very difficult due to her eccentricities, yet you'll never be able to find a better bride. I assure you. Not only is our Altria talented in music and arts, but she is also one of the most celebrated geniuses in the world. She is poised, well-mannered and has good etiquette. I am quite sure, no one can ever come close to our Altria" may pagmamalaking saad ang kanilang ama.