Chapter 24

Camila/You – Saving you – Chapter 24

A/N : One chapter left after this one. Happy or Sad ending, I'm still debating on that!

(No proofread, didn't get the time to.)

Hope you'll enjoy!

Your point of view

How do you fall asleep when you know that next time you'll open your eyes, your life was going to be drastically different? How do you fall asleep when deep down you fear the next day, not for yourself but for every single person who's participated in mending the pieces of your broken heart? How do you fall asleep when you're just...scared of the next day? No one knew if this was real, if this was really the government or if whatever they were dropping tomorrow was really a cure. And yet, I had never seen my people this happy. Maybe the prospect of going back to a normal life was thrilling to everyone, even if there only was a slim chance that it was real. That was enough for them. But not for me. I was scared not because there was a chance that it wouldn't work, but because there was a chance it would. When I read that paper, fallen from the sky, I thought it was a blessing. I had chosen to hope that it would work and we'd go back to our normal lives. But then I realized that what we went through those last years was my new definition of normal. Yes, life wasn't great, we were constantly surviving, but I had my family. At least, in this life I had Camila, and everyone else. Who's to say that if we go back to "normal", things will be the same? Everyone will just go their own way, as if this doomsday never happened and I wasn't sure I could survive that, after everything else. What if getting a normal life back meant losing Camila and the girls? So I didn't want a cure. I didn't want to go back to normal. And I knew that it was selfish to want this world to stay the way it was, just so I could keep the girl I loved to myself, and I hated that. I hated being the selfish one. I hated the fact that I was scared about being left behind. I wasn't sure why this fear was so strong, but I just knew that after losing everyone else, losing Camila would just end me because I knew that I wasn't strong enough to survive her leaving me. As the thoughts fused in my head, a tear started rolling down my cheek. I didn't know what exactly had caused it, if it was the sadness, the fear or just the guilt but once the first one delicately drew an almost invisible wet stain on my cheek, others started following turning the small wet stains to waves and in a matter of seconds to tsunami tides, which I didn't seem to be able to stop, not that I wanted to. I remained like that, on top of the south wall of the city, and just stared at the sky knowing that the next day, everything was going to change.

"Hey, stranger." I heard a voice penetrate the quietness of the night and startle me. I turned around briefly only to see Stefan standing a few meters behind me. I brought my attention back to the sky, and knowing that he was going to sit down anyway I made some room for him next to me. "I haven't seen you in such deep thoughts in forever." He joked, probably referring to the serious look on my face. He probably hadn't noticed just yet that something was wrong. I prayed he wouldn't. But as he got closer to me, and focused on my features, he noticed. Despite the darkness of the night I could see the concern in his eyes. I could see that he wanted to talk, and to help, any way he could. But I knew that he just didn't know how. I had never been the kind who needs a shoulder to cry on. I've only rarely showed my vulnerability in front of people and that was probably why he just didn't know how to comfort me. Surprisingly though, he put his arm around my shoulders and brought me closer to him so that I would rest my head on his shoulder. And I did. I needed that at the second; the comfort that only my best friend could provide, although he didn't know he had that power. "Do you want to talk about it?" he asked, his voice lower than usual as if he was afraid that talking too loudly would break me. I shook my head no, not wanting to share the whole mess I had in my head and we just fell silent.