Chapter Twenty

Some people say some things have to get bad before they get better, but some people haven't seen bad in the slightest. Some people live flawless lives, in marvelous homes, with everything handed to them. I wouldn't say I lived a terrible life but would say it was full of struggle. Especially lately. I walked into the door after an interview and ditched the fancy shirt by the door. I wandered further into the house and pulled a bottle of water from the fridge. I'd been cracking down to get a job after me and Blake had talked. Something to keep me busy. I took Levi's advice and stopped seeing Cecilia. Well, I had been forced to stop, since Viper had moved out. He hadn't returned any of my calls or my texts, but him and mom still talked each night. 

"How'd it go?" Blake asked as I nearly choked on my water. 

"Fine." I said slowly. "I think I nailed that one."

"You didn't tell them your talents were reading a magazine, filing your nails, and chewing gum at the same time?"

"Funny," I tugged the hem of the tank top down a bit self consciously, "I mean it. I think I nailed that one."

"Where's it for?" He asked. 

"Starbucks."

"That's why you've got it." He headed into the other room and I flopped into a chair at the table and clicked around on my mother's laptop. The screen opened and I typed the password. My spread charts, and name cards were still on the screen. I hit the print button and checked them. They looked good, and so I printed two more copies. 

"Good." I whispered.

"I'll be in my room." Blake walked up the stairs. He had moved in when Viper moved out and although he slept in mom's room, he spent days in Viper's. It bugged me that he called it his, but since he was the only compassionate one around here, I ignored the small infraction. I checked the to do list, and smiled. It was coming down to the last few small technicalities. Her dress was ordered, in and fitted. Her cake was going to be ready an hour and a half before the reception, and a person was going to deliver it to the party hall. All the bridesmaid gowns were in, including mine. The flowers were ordered, and the room was being decorated by a professional team. I tried my best to make everything count, but my mother was unappreciative to it all. She blamed me for Viper's moving out. My phone rang and I assumed it was wedding business and put on my professional tone. 

"Hello, Vivian-"

"Hey," the person on the other end sounded less formal, "this is the manager of the Starbucks your interview was at."

"Oh, hey." I sounded casual now.

"We've contacted the owner and she hired you right off."

"That's great! Thanks."

"Come in tomorrow at eight a.m." 

"Alright, I'll be there." 

"Bye." I disconnected and jumped up flailing my arms and legs around then sat back down as my mother walked into the room. 

"Vivian," she had stopped calling me Viva when Viper left, "what ales you?"

"What?" I asked, looking at her.

"What do you mean?"

"There's a party on the beach, aren't you heading in?"

"No, parties are.." I stopped.

"Viper's thing?" She asked, sitting next to me at the table.

"Yeah.. Viper's thing." She smiled at me sadly. 

"I miss him." She said at last.

"I miss him too, even though I was the reason he left." My mother's face changed, as though she realized for the first time exactly what I was feeling and trying to process it. 

"Is that what you think? Sweetie, no."

"Of course it's what I think, aren't you mad at me for it?"

"Mad at you?" She scooted closer and patted my hand, "Honey I think we've got this all wrong." 

"What's there to get wrong?" 

"I'm not mad at you," she looked me over, "especially not for Viper's leaving." 

"Well, then why haven't you been talking to me. Why did you stop calling me Viva?"

"I've been a mess," she admitted, "you're not to blame."

"Then who is?"

"Cecilia, she's trouble." 

"I was trouble too."

"But you're my daughter."

"Cecilia is someone's daughter."

"Not mine though," my mother hugged me to her, "I'm so sorry Viva." I smiled and hugged her back. 

"I forgive you, if you forgive me."

"You've got nothing to be forgiven for, I'm sorry you felt that way." I was getting a taste of Viper's life. The favorite, the babied one. 

"I love you." I said just soaking in her affection. 

"I love you too." She waited a moment, "Tell me all the things I missed when I was in my slump."

"I've got a job, I've finished the reservations and everything's in place for the wedding."

"Good." She smiled, "One more week." Her skin was glowing and she was overjoyed. I smiled back at her. 

"I'm excited too." I admitted reluctantly, not knowing where it came from. I admitted it from the heart, speaking mostly of seeing Viper again. When he'd left us, he said to me: 'See you at mom's wedding.' and sped off. That held more of a promise to me then anything. 

"We're having the dinner rehearsal tomorrow." I sucked in a sharp breath.

"What time?"

"Seven." 

"Okay, I work at eight in the morning." I said with a smile.

"Then our schedules won't conflict. Good." Blake resurfaced in a fancy shirt and I realized my mother was in a fancy dress. "We're going out. We have our phones if you need us."

"Okay." They turned and walked towards the door and I realized something. A small piece of me was way too hopeful, but it couldn't hurt. "Mom!?" I yelled.

"Yes?" She turned back.

"Is, um. Is Viper going to the rehearsal?" 

"I don't think so," she smiled sadly, "he would rather not see you." I felt a small piece of myself die all over again and returned back to my disappointed stupor. 

"I'll be right out sweetie," Blake said, "I forgot my wallet."

"Oh, alright." He jogged over to the table and tore a piece of the notebook off. 

"What are you-"

"Sh," he said as he jotted down an address, "this is where Viper said he was staying. He might hate me for this, but it's worth it. I can't stand to see you down."

"Thank you." He kissed the top of my head and jogged out the door. As soon as it clicked into place I sprinted up stairs to change.