Chapter Twelve

My car was purring from the driveway and I was nearly heaving. Viper rounded the corner and looked out the window at my car. 

"Your car is running," he said and then waited, "you better go catch it." He chuckled to himself and I glared at him. He rounded the corner and then turned back to me in confusion.

"What? Did you lose your wit?" I asked and he glared back at me.

"No, where's Cecilia."

"I don't know, I have a date. I've got to go."

"Who's the lucky guy?" The words froze me because I realized I didn't tell Viper that I was gay. I shut my eyes and contemplated telling him now but knew better. I walked to the door and smiled slightly at the interest Viper had in me. I had my doubts, but Viper was a good brother. I felt a brief moment of pity and I realized that I was feeling it for Cecilia. I sighed and turned back to Viper.

"Viper?" I asked with one hand on the door. 

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Be good to Cecilia," I said sadly, "she's really into you." I turned and walked out the front door before he could say anything or ask what sparked the comment. I got in my car and read the text from Bella. She said she was on Beach Boulevard, and I imagined what she'd want to do as I headed for her address. When I pulled into the driveway I gasped. The house was mansion material, and the yard was granite tile. The grass was tall and green with hedges that were just as green with vibrant designs cut into them. I looked the house over and then my attention was captured and stolen completely. Bella had her hair down, and it trailed the length of her torso to her waist. It's length was emphasized by the golden color. She was in a light blue sundress and I smiled at her as she approached the car. She opened the door and I kicked myself knowing that she was high class and I couldn't compete. 

"Hey," I said to her as she climbed in, "you look-" I stopped for fear my words wouldn't be enough for her. 

"Is it bad?" She glanced down, "I could go change." 

"No!" I yelled, "I mean, no. I love it. It's got me-"

"At a loss for words?" She joked and shut her door. She clicked her seat belt on and I glanced at her makeup and face. She was the girl out of us, and she wore it well. 

"Yeah," I laughed, "loss for words. And common sense." 

"Nonsense," she waved her hand as if slapping the idea out of sight, "where are we going?"

"I was going to ask you!" I smiled. 

"I don't mind, where ever you want to go."

"I've got something in mind," I headed down towards the beach, "especially if you want to hear the story of my limp foot." 

"Right!" She gasped, "How is that?" 

"It's fine." I smiled at her compassion and compared it to the coldness of Cecilia. She sat back and turned on the pop station. I tried not to wince and let it go. We pulled into the parking lot of the beach and she kicked her sandals off. I walked around the car and greeted her in the front. She was vibrant against the darkening sky and the white sand. 

"I love the sunset." She smiled as we walked across the sandy trenches. 

"I do to." She reached out and I took her hand. Her fingers were nimble and soft with million dollar lotions. I felt the softness of her arm as she got closer to me. We wandered into the beach until I finally reached the coffee cart I loved. 

"Vivian!" Shelly smiled, "Your usual?" 

"Yes, please. And-"

"Who's this pretty little number?" She asked as she looked Bella over.