Chapter Three

"We'll get a hotel on Monday night," my mother told me as I pulled into the gas station, "stay over, get the dress fitted and head home. Maybe we can go to dinner, oh! Or see a movie." 

"I doubt it mom," I slammed the door to pump gas and resumed it through the window, "I think maybe we should just get the dress and go home." 

"Vivian, why are you so bitter about this?" She asked in a flustered voice. I winced, there was that word again. Bitter. I shut my eyes and screwed the cap to my gas tank back on and walked into the store without saying a word to her. I browsed the coolers for a drink I thought I'd want, and decided on a bottle of cherry coke. I walked to the counter. 

"Hello ma'am, did you find everything alright?"

"Yeah," I said as he rang in my coke, "I have twenty in gas too." 

"Alright," he handed me a receipt, "have a nice day!" 

"Thanks," I tried a pleasant smile but he looked scared, "you too." I turned and bolted from the door to my car. My mother was pouting in that way that always made me feel really guilty and I sighed. 

"Ready to go?" 

"Which hotel are we staying at?" Her face lightened and her perfect teeth showed. She clapped her hands together like a child and I glanced at her from the driver's side. I sipped at my cherry coke as I pulled into traffic and headed towards the house. Viper was silent from the backseat reading a text on his phone. Blake had business to attend to, and asked if I could drive mother and Viper home. I agreed at the first opportunity to rid him of myself. I pulled into the driveway and killed the engine. Viper jumped from the car and jogged inside. I felt the cherry coke working it's way through my system and groaned. I pounded on the bathroom door and Viper pretended he didn't hear me. I pounded harder. 

"What?!" He yelled from the shower as the water died. 

"I have to pee." I tipped my head back and whined. 

"Well, I'm getting ready. I've got a date." 

"A date?!" I cried, "What happened to brunette!" 

"She was nice and all, but, Maya is way cuter." 

"Maya?!" 

"Yeah," he laughed, "she's a red head. Way feistier." 

"Yeah, whatever." He yanked the door open and held his hands out to the bathroom. 

"Your wish is my command." He said. I slapped his chest and shoved him out of the way. 

"Move!" I slipped in and slammed the door. I sighed with relief and checked my face in the mirror. My makeup looked good, and my hair was nicer than I expected it. I studied myself and decided that if I would be spending time with my mother, I'd need to spend time with my friends first. I took my phone from my pocket and called Savannah. Savannah was my polar opposite, and yet my best friend. We'd met when I moved here in sixth grade, and after this summer, we'll be seniors together.I was about to give up when she answered quickly. 

"Hello?" She asked in an over excited voice. 

"Hey." I laughed quietly at her enthusiasm, "Let's go out tonight." 

"Oh!" She cried out, "Yes! I've been dying to go out! You're like, psychic! I swear-"

"I'll be over at eight, wear something tight and bring your fake ID!" I yelled and hung up. I loved Savvy, but if I didn't end the call, she'd ramble until eight. I looked through my closet and grunted distastefully. I knocked on my mother's bedroom door and she called quietly.