Chapter Six

My mother was singing obnoxious love songs from the shower and I could have strangled her. I tucked the pillow over my ears, the blankets around me and put headphones with music in but she managed to outshine the loud screaming bands my dearest brother added. I gave up on trying to sleep and slipped into some summer shorts and a tank top. My hair was a mess from sleeping on it while it was wet, but I didn't care enough. I pinned it up, and tapped a little bit of makeup into my face. When my mother finally dared to show her face, she was pretty and primped. 

"Our appointment is in a bit, we'll have breakfast here and go."

"Alright." I said, trying to be ignorant but my voice broke. 

"Pack your things, we'll go down and check out after we eat." I packed my bags, not bothering to respond. I stuffed objects into them and then carried them to the door. My phone was tucked in my pocket and I made a mental checklist and crossed item after item off. I was ready, and my mother was soon after. We brought our luggage down to the front and went into the cafe to eat breakfast. The shop was neat, and I loaded a paper plate full of cereal and muffins. I sat down and stuffed them in my mouth. My mother joined me with a coffee and a piece of toast. She studied me cryptically, and I swallowed hard. 

"What?" I asked, as I continued to eat.

"Well, you should eat light dear. You're getting fitted today."

"Well, if it doesn't fit when we get it, it's easier to gain weight then lose it." She didn't smile, and I ignored the look on her face. I continued eating, and she looked away from me like it was too much to look at. I looked down at myself, and decided it was okay to eat like a pig, I wasn't big by any means. I'd be in a size two or three dress, most likely. My mother finished her toast and drank her coffee before I was finished with my breakfast. She looked at me for a moment and then told me she'd help the valet put the luggage in the car. I nodded, and finished my food. I threw the plate in the trash and headed out the doors. My mother was in the idling car waiting, on the phone with someone I presumed to be Blake. She hung up before I could hear it, and confirm it. I pulled my seat belt across my chest and clicked it into place. My mom shifted gears and headed in the streets. I studied her and decided she was in a bad mood. She saw me watching her and asked me in a light voice.

"What's wrong Vi-Vi?"

"I was about to ask you." I said, and she looked down and then back to the road. "Well?" 

"That was your father." 

"Was it?" I asked, trying to conceal my excitement. 

"Yeah," she waited and motioned for her to continue, "he just confirmed his invite to the wedding."

"What?" I sat forward, "He's coming? Mom, are you nuts?"

"He's coming to town a few days before, and he'd like to see you."

"Yeah, well. I have no words for him."

"Maybe not," she inhaled sharply, "but he's got some for you. I think you should listen."

"Why does this affect you so much?" I asked out of anger and curiosity, "He left you, remember?" She swallowed hard and I instantly regretted it. I could see the tears welting in her eyes and I sighed. I knew in order to fix my mistake, I'd have to get sentimental about it. I ran my hands through my hair. "I didn't mean it like that." 

"You said it how you meant it, I know you better than that Vivian." I winced, and then shut my eyes. Whether it was from the sentence I was about to say, or to hold in tears I was unsure. 

"I'm just sensitive about things involving dad. It was only a year ago, and the two of you are both moving on already, and I just- I don't know. I feel like things should be different." She didn't say anything for a minute, she just sighed. 

"Me too." She admitted at last and pulled into Klein-fields. "Let's put on our game faces and try to look happy. Okay?" 

"Okay." I nodded and we walked in. The doorbell chimed when it opened, and a lady in a nice suit skirt and blouse came to our service. I looked her over, and she looked at me. 

"Can I help you?" She asked. 

"We're here to pick a bridal party dress, and we already have a good idea about which one." My mother said in a professional tone. The lady smiled and motioned for us to head through a doorway. 

"Right this way." She said to us as we walked through the store. We were escorted into a room full of gowns and dresses and my mother began sorting through them. She searched for what felt like hours before she pulled the one from television out. She held it up to me and smiled.

"This is it!" She yelled and the lady who escorted us looked pleased that we had this figured out. She led me into a dressing room, and I shed my clothes and slipped into the dress. The lady awkwardly pinned it to fit my body type and my height, and then led me out into the room my mother was seated in. I looked myself over in the mirror, and couldn't fight the smile. It was elegant, and comfortable. My mother's eyes watered as I turned to face her, and she fanned her face. 

"You like it then?"

"Yes, of course I like it." She smiled, "It's very- you." 

"Thank you." I smiled, and the lady was happy that we were in and out. I went to the dressing room to change and slid my phone out. I shut the door, telling the lady I'll be fine to take the thing off myself. She seemed unsure, but let me anyway. I snapped a quick picture, and sent it to Savannah without any caption. I changed back into my clothes and slipped the dress in the bag. I handed it to the lady who said they would be sending it to us through the mail in no time. I walked into the parking lot and my mother sighed in relief. 

"I'm glad we've got that figured out."

"It was kinda' a pointless drive," I said, "so many hours for ten minutes in a store."

"We got the dress of your dreams."

"No, the dress of my dreams would be slim and black. It's the dress I'll be most comfortable in concerning your wedding colors." 

"Thanks." She squeezed my knee and we headed home. It was a really quiet drive, and I was slightly relieved that she didn't mention the father conversation again. She seemed happier than before, when I had snapped at her. She hummed along to something on the radio and I shut my eyes. The sun was shinging to brightly to sleep, so I just kept the closed. The sun warmed my face, and I felt a tan setting into my skin. 

"Maybe I won't have to spray tan for the wedding." I said and she laughed. 

"Not with this weather, let's pray it stays." She was quiet after her comment, and I just relaxed again. I let the world take it's course.