Chapter Two

"Viva, we've got to go!" My mother hissed at the door, knocking rapidly. 

"Five more minutes," I moaned and tucked the pillow tighter around my face, "please?" 

"We're going to be late." I rolled over and looked at my phone. It was Saturday, which meant we'd be going out to breakfast with Blake. I pushed from bed and headed into the bathroom. I looked myself over and winced. My makeup had smudged and was running from my face. My blonde hair was a tangle and my blue eyes were full of small red lightening bolts. I shut the door, and started the shower. The water was hot on my skin, and it felt good to wake up to. "Five minutes, let's go Vivian!" My mother screamed from the other side. I shut my eyes and sighed. 

"Shut up." I groaned. I washed the conditioner out and went into my room to change. I found a pair of jeans with only a few holes in them, and a loose fit muscle shirt with the Jack Daniels bottle design. I slipped my dark leather boots on, and quickly did my eyeliner and lip gloss. I walked into the living room and met my mother's glance. She was in a proper looking Sunday dress, and a hat as well. She looked me over and I could see the disgust in her face. 

"Vivian," she said slowly, "I think it's best you go change." 

"Why? I look fine." I said defensively. 

"We're going out, I don't want everybody to see you with us like that." She shut her eyes. 

"Where's Viper, anyway?" I asked, angered. 

"He's not home yet." 

"Well, if he doesn't have to go. I don't have to go!"

"Please Viva, I'll let you wear those scrubs?"

"Scrubs?" I laughed, "Dad bought them for me, they're the best damn clothes I own." Her mouth fell open and I looked her over. 

"I didn't mean it like that Vivian, please." She looked distressed and I closed my eyes trying to forget for a second the hatred I had for Blake and the resentment growing for her. She seemed pleased with the moment of silence, and looked me over as I was thinking. 

"Fine." I confessed it, "I'll go. But I'm going just like this, and I'm not going to be 'pleasant' or 'well mannered' any more than I normally would be." 

"Deal," my mother snatched me into a hug, "I'm so glad I have you!" She kissed the top of my head and the doorbell rang. She let go of me and I stumbled backwards. "Oh, Blake's here!" She ran to the door and ripped it open. 

"Hello darling," I heard there lips meet and pull apart as he kissed her, "are we ready?" 

"Yes, just one second." She turned to look at me. I was out of sight of Blake, just hardly in view of my mom. I held my hands up against my chest together in the stereotypical 'praying' gesture then pointed up to my bedroom. She shook her head and motioned for me to come. I tripped over a tile and fell into view. Blake looked me over questioning me. 

"Let's go!" I faked a big smile and my mom nodded to me. They walked out of the door in front of me, and I turned as I shut it looking back into the eyes of my lazy calico cat. She meowed gently and I pleaded with her. "Help me." I shut the door and turned into the driveway. Blake had taken his truck and I looked at mom. The truck was only three seats. 

"Come on Viva." She smiled. 

"I think I'll drive my car over for comfort reasons, I'll meet you at Sam's." Sam's was the breakfast house we'd eaten at every Saturday since mom met Blake. She didn't argue with me, instead just sighed sadly. I climbed into my car before she could change her mind and started the engine. I pulled out around Blake's truck and into traffic. I tried desperately to escape their view, and finally got stuck at a red light as they continued on a turn off road. I took my phone out and dialed Viper's number. It rang until I got his voice mail, and I dialed it again. It rang and then a cheery female voice answered. 

"Hello, Viper's phone." I bit back a groan and tried to sober my thoughts. 

"Hi, it's Vivian. Viper's sister, I'm sure we met last night." 

"Oh, right. You're the girl with the daddy issues." I closed my eyes and heard a horn honk behind me. The light was green when I opened them, and I continued on into town. 

"Right, that's me." I let her ignorant comment roll off my back, "Anyway, we're due for Sunday breakfast any minute. I need to know where to pick Viper up." 

"Oh," she sounded like she was chewing the corner of her lip, "sure. I live on High street, number thirty." It was convenient that I was so close. 

"Alright, thank you. Tell Viper to be outside and ready." 

"Sure thing." She disconnected the phone before I could, and I pictured her demanding to know if she was a one night stand. Viper was notorious for it, I had no doubts her friends had warned her, and now I was confirming the fear. I pulled onto high street and my mother called my phone. 

"Hello?" I asked, trying to sound sweet. 

"Viva, where are you?"

"I got left in traffic, I'm going to pick Viper up. He called."

"Splendid!" She was smiling, I could hear it through the phone. I ended the call, and headed into the driveway of number thirty. Viper burst of the door and ran to my car. He climbed in and adjusted the seat to his own height. 

"Thank you so much." He smiled at me. I frowned, because I wasn't doing it to be a good sister, I was doing it to rip him away from his opportunity to miss Saturday breakfast. 

"What the hell do you mean thank you?" I backed out into the road. 

"I was looking for an out, and now I get an out and a ride and free food." I sighed.

"You're welcome Viper." I said defeated. We pulled into traffic and he turned the radio up to some obnoxious metal song. I shut my eyes and winced at the screaming in it. 

"I met this band!" He yelled over the sound, and I took the turn off to Sam's. 

"Cool, shut it off." I said in an a mocking demeaning tone. 

"Watch the bitch pitch, it's Saturday breakfast at Sam's." He said mocking me back. I shut my eyes and breathed heavily. I pulled into the spot next to Blake's truck and Viper climbed out. I got out and studied him. He looked punk, like I did. His hair was a tangled mess and his leather coat made him look rugged. I smiled and we walked into Sam's together. My mother gasped and I smiled at her. 

"Viper!" My mother cried as she hugged him. "I missed you, how was your night."

"It was nice, thanks. How was yours?" 

"Oh, Vi-vi and I were watching Say Yes to the Dress! She picked our bridal party gowns! We're going to get them fitted next Tuesday." I gulped my water in and coughed. 

"Tuesday? How come you didn't tell me it was so soon."

"Vivian, the wedding is in August, we have to rush order everything." 

"But it's only early June." 

"Two months Vivian, that's not a lot of time." I sighed, supposing she was right. 

"I bet they're darling." Blake said in his deep southern tone. Blake had moved here last year from Louisiana. My mother 'fell in love with his southern charm,' and his 'dreamy eyes'. They were engaged in three months. 

"They are." My mother cooed. 

"I bet Vivian will look darling in it." Viper smiled at me as he spoke and I shot my glare in his direction instead. The waitress came to the table and the tension died. Everybody placed their usual, my mother ordered gluten free pancakes. My brother ordered the meat trio breakfast plate. I ordered waffles with raspberry. Blake ordered a vegetarian breakfast platter and a biscuit basket for an appetizer. Pitchers of juice, water, and milk were placed on the table with syrup, sugar, and salt. Melted butter in a small dish for the biscuits and the usual chipper breakfast conversation. My mother rambled about the wedding and the plans for the bridal shower. She talked my dress over, and the possibilities for hair styles. She and Blake kept their adoring stare over the table strong and their hands were laced as they ate. I groaned and rolled my eyes. I couldn't help but listen to Viper start discussing last night's date. The only thing I could think of was Viper's words to me. 

Bitter, he called me. I thought over the possibility that I was bitter and hated it. Perhaps I was stuck in the past, bitter.