XXVI

I stood at the window of Mike's and my bedroom, watching as the black SUV drove off with my mate inside of it. 

Mike had been called by his pack to deal with some fighting on the eastern most border, the furthest away from his official pack house by nearly 5,000 miles. By this time tomorrow almost 5 killion miles would seperate me from Mike. 

He had told me the news almost 2 weeks ago and since then we had been together non stop, he wanted to memorize me so he would have those moments to carry with him. The vampires over there aren't playing nice, as Catherine put it.

Out of comfort, I had requested that I be allowed to spend a day or so with my father in town. It took some neogotiating, but I was allowed to spend the weekend in town. So long as I was careful and took Nicole with me. Catherine wasn't happy about it, especially since Jack was so near death. It would never effect her at this point, though. She hasn't left his side in days.

I've been doing more and more knitting and sewing projects for Nova and Tyler, though Mike hasn't forgiven them I can't bring myself to ignore those poor children. What have Eve and Ethan done to deserve a barren, cold home? No, I'd make them curtains and blankets.

The house was coming together quite well, actually. They have a couch now and the bed got moved up the stairs into what would be the master bedroom. Both the children's rooms will be downstairs when they're older but for now they sleep in a bassinet in their parents room. Ethan smiled at me the last time I was there. The flashing eyes still startle me, but I'm getting more and more used to it.

That's where I head to after checking in on Catherine one last time. I took up my sewing basket and headed into the woods. Nova was sitting on the couch when I arrived, smiling merrily at her baby girl while murmuring that song.

"A new aged soul, a distant star. There's so much in life for you to see, and so much to be..."

I'm sure I was smiling like a fool when I knocked on the opened door frame and inturrupeted the mother and child.

"Hello, Nova. Good morning, Eve."

"Luna Lacey," Nova stood up and gave me a one armed hug," How was Mike's send off?"

"Depressing."

"Miss him already?"

"He's become quite a part of my life. I can't help it."

Nova handed Eve to me, laughing lowly as she went into the kitchen. I'm sure that's where her own mate is. Tyler spending time with Ethan and Nova singing to Eve, that's how it is at this time of day. Eve being calm calms Ethan. Always.

"How are the pups?"

"You were here yesterday. You should know almost as well as we do."

I smiled, running my finger over Eve's plump cheek and cooing at the sweet babe. Being around them almost makes me want one of my own. Maybe then the pack would accept me.

I haven't spoken about what happened at the pack meeting to anyone at the pack house except Nicole. She has me tell her my issues when we're sparring. It's almost theraputic. But, if I were able to give the pack an Alpha then maybe...

"Do you want something to eat, Luna?"

My head snapped up, bringing me out of my daze. It took me a long moment to remember what he said. Eat. He wants to know if I want food.

"No, no. I'm good."

"You sure? You've been zoning out a lot lately."

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you."

He shrugged and continued with his food. Nova knelt to where her son was and waved at the infant. He stared back at his mother, spitting a bit since he wasn't quite old enough to laugh or smile. When she moved around he watched intently as her long, blond locks swayed. He seems to be attracted to light things. 

I felt a little jealous at the sight, Nova was being accepted by a baby. He couldn't even talk and he already liked her all the while I was here, trying to make over 1,000 animals care enough to give me the time of day.

"Has there been any luck finding the other Oracles," Tyler asked absent mindedly as he fingered one of his mates locks. She placed her hand on his plain black shirt and nodded her head.

"There are reports of a sudden labor in Berlin that resulted in a girl but I don't think that's her. I'll have to go searching for the Oracles if they can't find them soon."

My head was pulled up by an invisible thread. Nova might have to leave?

"Do you think it'll come to that?"

"Unfortunately."

"Will Tyler be going with you? I know it's difficult for mates to be apart from each other."

"It is," Tyler dragged out, pulling each syllable longer with his fingers slipping to the end of her lock. With a flash he was kneeling next to his infant son, hand gently placed on his dark head," But it's nearly twice as difficult to be away from your pups."

"Tyler's right, I can take care of myself. Who would watch over Ethan and Eve," she questioned as she took her baby girl from me.

"You could always leave them at the pack house. Catherine would probably love the distraction."

They looked at each other for a moment, so obviously communication through their connection. I wish I could talk to Mike through that connection.

"Don't you have packing to do," Tyler finally asked," We heard through the grape vine that you are spending some time with the humans while Mike's in battle."

"He's not in the battle, he's commanding it," I shivered at the thought of Mike in battle. He would be ruthless to anyone threatening his pack.

Soon after, I left and spent the rest of the day packing. 

I just want to go back to a place where I'm needed.