XVII

The door was opened for us by one of the pack members I'd learned to identify as  Nicole. She smiled at us as we passed in and came around to take the bags from our arms, promising to take them down up to Catherine's room where Mike would stay away from them.

I hurried up to my room, hoping to get changed and take a shower before dinner. I'd had a small accident with some soda when we stopped at a fast food restaurant for lunch and was now sticky and sweet smelling. 

It was almost comforting to step inside this room, maybe it was because all of my stuff was in it now instead of back at home. Maybe I could make this my home. 

My bed was welcoming me with open arms, but I refused to sit on it until I had taken off my sticky shirt. Then I plopped down on the mattress in my white bra and jeans, one hand pulling my phone out of my pocket and calling my father while the other unzipped the boots I was wearing.

"Hello?"

"Papa, it's Lacey."

"Hello! How was your day with Catherine? I heard she took you to get a dress. Does this mean you've chosen a date already?"

"It was actually already chosen. March 20th. Apparently it's a big deal that we went with that day."

"It seems like a good day. You might have to have it indoors, but that's fine. Your day will be perfect, Lacey. I just know it."

"I'm sure it will, Papa," I told him as I set the shoes on my closet floor. I straightened and went to the bathroom to start the water for a bath," How's Zoey? Is she adjusting well?"

"Quite. Oh? She wants to have a few words."

"Put her on."

There was a small rustling before I heard her small voice on the other end. 

"Lacey!"

"Zoey! What's up?"

"Nothing much, Luis says I can start school in the spring. How cool is that?"

"So cool," I laughed at her exuberance towards the very thing most people dread," What do you think of your new room?"

"I love it. Thank you."

"It's not like I was using it."

"When are you coming home? People are asking about you in the bakery."

"I don't really know, I live in the pack house now."

"But only wolves live in the pack house, Lacey. It's dangerous for you to be there."

"I know it is, don't worry about me. I'll figure out how to take care of myself."

"Ok... Please be careful?"

"Of course. Listen, I have to go. Don't eat too much sugar and make sure that Papa behaves himself."

"Aye aye, Luna."

She hung up before I could correct her. I wasn't Luna yet.

I shook my head before taking off my remaining clothes and getting into the bath connected to my room and the one next door. I suppose the one next door would have to be either Kian's or Mike's. It's kind of a roulette because I have no idea which one it is and I'm not sure who I would rather it be. 

Either way, I locked the door.

The water was so warm over my body, I had put in some of those salt things that Catherine had given me to try out for my wedding night. This one smells like basil. Not the fanciest, but it's my favorite herb.

Scents filled my nose and as I leaned my head back to inhale it all. The warm water, the bath salts, the fresh smell of the clean bathroom. It was all so calming that I couldn't help but to doze off.

___

When I woke up the water was cold. In fact, it was all around cold in the room. I turned to look at the door only to find none other than Mike standing there, eyes wide and posture stiff.

My hand shot out to grab the towel off to the side. It got wet when I pulled it into the water to cover myself. He was watching me.

"What are you doing in here," I said in a low voice, trying to understand what was going on precisely.

"Dinner's almost over," he looked away a little too late, now watching the floor," I came to find out what was taking you so long. I only just walked in when you woke up."

"Sure you did," I muttered while standing. Water swished in the tub and dripped off of me," Pass me a dry towel while you're in here?"

He walked to the cabinet and pulled out a fluffy grey towel. Without turning he gave it to me. I know he knew I was naked because the towel made a loud splash when it fell into the water. He jumped with the sound and shivered when his tuned hearing picked up the towel rubbing against my skin.

"You've trapped me, Lucille," I paused when he called me that. He continued when I remained silent," I can't leave without seeing you fully and I can't do that without losing your respect."

"Because my respect matters so much to you. Where did you hear that name?"

"Your respect matters very, very much to me. Without respect there can be nothing and believe it or not but I want something. You are my mate and you will be my Luna one day, you will bear my pups and you will lead my pack."

"Who's to say I'll be 'bearing' anything? Maybe I don't want children?"

"I know you do. Your father told me. He said you've always dreamed of having 2 boys and a little girl. I'm sorry to say that we can't have a daughter but we can have as many boys as you'd like."

"Why can't we have a girl?"

"Because my genetics won't allow it. Alpha's are unable to have girls, only boys. Someone has to lead a pack."

The day in the forest with Wyatt and Faye flashed behind my eyes.

Can I even have children?

I'm doing something much better than what he wants me to do.