VIII

I didn't come downstairs after Catherine left. Instead I just stayed in my room for a good hour, thinking about everything I had been told.

If what they say is true I'm not only a mate to a werewolf but the future "Luna" of one of the most powerful packs in the world.

Also, I'm human and apparently thats not a great thing.

It took me so long to think it over that Holly had to come up and get me for lunch. She stood in the doorway a long moment before finally coming in.

"Are you ready to eat?"

I looked at her, a new curiosity filling me. Didn't she say she has a mate? Is it the same for her as it is for Catherine? Is she banking on my mating with Mike as well?

Does she know something about him?

"You mated, right?"

She smiled warmly at the mention of her mate," Yes, to Kian."

"What's it like for you? Catherine told me all these things about mating but I don't feel any of it."

"Oh, well that's probably because of the different compounds and chemicals in our blood, it would make us react differently to finding a mate."

"Oh."

"Come on, you really should join us before all the food's gone."

"Okay," I told her, standing up and following her to the dining room. 

I stalled my suddenly weak legs right before entering the door. Mike's in there. Shit.

My knees didn't want to work when I remembered how terrifying his eyes were earlier when he yelled at me. It was like all that power that radiated off of him from the moment I first saw him had turned into a dark fog that wanted to swallow up anyone that dared defy him. I don't want to know what would happen to anyone who gets lost in that fog.

Holly saw my hesitation and gently took my hand, pulling me in through the door carefully. She brought me over to sit by her and Catherine and across from Mike. Kian was on the other side of her but that was all who filled the long table.

"Is anybody else coming?"

"Well, usually Nova and Luke are here," Holly said," But Luke is taking care of clean up and Nova's with Tyler."

I shivered at the thought of him. How is someone as wonderful as Nova destined to be with someone like Tyler? How is she having his child?

"What about Jack, where is he?"

"He's in his room."

"Oh, did the big fight upset him or is he working-"

I was cut off by the sound of a sob and turned to see Catherine stand up from her seat and cover her mouth with her hand. 

"No," Holly replied in a quiet voice when Catherine left the room," No, Alpha Jack was critically injured in the battle. He can't leave his bed."

She turned and put a hand on Kian's shoulder, gently stroking him while he rubbed his face with his hands. I stole a quick glance at Mike, wanting to see if he was having a similar reaction but he was staring at his food like he had the ability to destroy all the pain his father felt if he just glared at his carrots long enough.

We all finished our meals in silence, a slow, deathly silence that dared anyone to say even the smallest word. I spent the whole time thinking about my own father. 

Was he missing me right now? Is he wondering where I am? What's taking me so long to come home? Why I'm not on time for my shift at the bakery?

I looked up at Mike again but he still wasn't even glancing my way. 

How do I get home?

Mike's POV

My mother came down after talking to her, she told me about what they were discussing that took so long and why Lacey didn't come downstairs right away.

I was sitting on the couch, my leg bouncing so hard that Kian had to kick me to make me stop before I broke the floor which only made me stand up and start pacing. 

Back and forth, back and forth. 

Why isn't she down yet? I need her to come down.

She'll come when she's ready.

No, she has to come now! What if she's mad at us? We growled at her earlier! Stalked her after she fell!

You growled at her, I tried to hold you in. This is all your fault.

Go to her.

Fuck off.

"I'm going to go upstairs and ask her to come down for lunch," Holly announced, standing and casting a glance at Kian, a sure fire sign that they were communicating through their bond.

"Just don't upset her," he told her finally, the only part of it that was out loud. 

If she does then she'll have hell to pay.

Do you not know what fuck off means?

He growled at me and it turned into barking- yes, barking- when Holly started to go up the steps. A single one escaped my throat which made her turn around and look at me briefly before giving me a tight smile and a small nod and going up the steps.

Kian made me go to the dining room, he even managed to coerce me into a seat that was across from my mate rather than next to her like he was from Holly. Now my mate was stuck between my sister in law and my mother.

Then she walked through the door, her hand in Holly's the slight difference between their skin tones becoming strangely obvious. Holly was more pale and cold while Lacey was so warm and beautiful. 

She didn't look at me until after my mother had gone upstairs. I didn't dare look up for fear that the pain I felt would show in my eyes. She can't see the pain, I'd break completely. She stole another look later on but I was too focused on not jumping over the table and grabbing her. 

God, her smell. The sound of her breathing, hell even the sound of her clothing shifting when ever she moves in the slightest.

Too damn quiet, I need a distraction. What kind of a distraction? 

After lunch I excused myself and went directly to my father's office, the one I'd be occupying soon as the doctors had told us he wouldn't be able to live.

There were papers to work on and bills to pay and people to contact but that didn't stop my mind from being occupied by Lacey. 

God, Lacey.

Then, of course, she came into the god damned office.