"Hey ladies," he smiled, and I took the camera from his hand, him taking Judith.

"Hey babe," I smiled as well and stood up to go look for film for the camera.

"I'll be back," I spoke in the terminator voice, causing Carl to chuckle and shake his head

"Get paint too!" He called out as he sat in the chair and rocked with Judith.

I scavenged the house for both, only finding enough film for a few pictures and a bottle of blue paint. Exiting the house, Carl and Judith sat on the stairs, so I handed him the Polaroid to take a photo of the two of them. He smiled brightly at the camera, and Judy looked curiously. I set the paint down, and Carl waved me over.

"Now one altogether," he said, and I sat beside Judith, putting her in the middle.

I smiled and looked into the camera, Carl doing the same, but Judy looked happily up at her big brother, almost admiring him. Judith seemed bored with photos, so she picked up the paint and sat out of the camera's frame.

"Just one of the two of us now," Carl said and pulled me close to him.

I scooted even closer to him, wrapping my arms around him and smiling at the camera. He kissed me on the cheek before taking the picture, making me giggle, and the flash went off, capturing a perfect moment. After taking photos, I followed Carl's lead and opened the paint, giving a blob to each Grimes children.

"You too!" Carl insisted, and I rubbed it in on my hand.

We all put our hands down on the porch, making perfect blue handprints.

"One more thing I want to do," Carl said, picking up Judy and heading towards the town center.

He placed Judy down and began digging with a shovel.

"What're you doing?" I asked chuckling.

"You'll see," he said and hurried away for a minute, only to come back with a baby tree.

We silently patted down the dirt, and Judy played in the grass beside us. Michonne passed by, giving us a wave and drove away. Carl then looked to the sun, soaking up the rays and removing his hat.

"I love you," he whispered to me again.

***

I let out a pained gasp, knowing that it was too late. Rick and Michonne stayed silent and dropped to the ground beside me. I started breathing quickly. Carl looked at me with his doe eye, letting single tears slip away.

Carl was bit.

Silence took over the sewers until an explosion erupted above us, causing rubble to sprinkle down into the sewer.

"I don't," Rick began but just couldn't find the words.

This was the moment Rick Grimes had lost all hope. He looked so broken and defeated. Michonne was in shock. She wasn't comprehending what was happening at the moment.

"Dad," Carl said softly but sternly.

I started furiously shaking my head, my slow dripping tears starting to scatter at the motion. Carl reached for my hand, and his felt so cold against mine.

"We-we can fix it. Cut it out or something. There has to be something-" my voice cracked, and the pitch increased as the floodgates were about to open. I hadn't felt like this since he was shot.