Chapter 41

The next morning I wake early, dressed only in one of Daniel's tshirts. I'm uncomfortably hot as Daniel is right behind me, his arm draped over my waist and his legs intertwined with mine.

I can hear and feel his steady breathing against my neck so I know he's still fast asleep. I try to move away slightly, but his arm tightens around me even in his sleep.

I can't even begin to process the last few days. I have bared my soul to Daniel and he's still here... still holding me. Part of me thought he would leave me once he found out who I really was. But he seemed so sincere when he said it wasn't my fault that I could almost believe him.

He stirs behind me pulling me out of my thoughts. I take the opportunity to reluctantly wriggle out of his arms and head into the bathroom. I then make my way downstairs and switch the kettle on. I grab my phone and see a missed call from Helen from last night. It's still too early to call her, but I quickly send a text.

Morning. Sorry I missed your call last night. Hope you're ok. I will be in around lunchtime today. Everything is fine and I'm good, so no arguing with me! See you in a bit. L x

As I drink my cup of happiness in the kitchen, I feel stronger than I ever have in my entire life. I grin to myself and take the moment of silence to just enjoy the peace inside my head.

I flick the radio on and Elton John 'I'm still standing' is on. I love this song and it feels appropriate to my mood. I turn it up loud. I sing along and dance to the music, feeling as light as the air around me.

I turn to put some bread in the toaster and see Daniel leaning against the doorframe. His hair is out of control and his eyes are barely open. He rubs at them sleepily.

"Good morning, Mr Weston." I giggle as I stupidly dance and sing my way over to him. I gently kiss his cheek. I flick the kettle on dramatically as if it is part of a dance routine before the song finishes.

"You're in a good mood this morning." He says gruffly, but with a huge grin on his face.

"What can I say... I'm happy." I watch his eyes flash to the marks on my arms and throat, but I won't let it ruin the moment. "Don't even go there Mr Weston. He is behind me... behind us. These are all that's left of him." I gesture to the marks. "... and they will soon fade away, just like him. Now sit, I'll make us breakfast."

He does as he's told. "I love you Lizzie." He flashes his megawatt smile at me and my heart soars even higher. "What shall we do today?"

"I love you too." I beam back at him. "You're going to drop me back at mine after breakfast and then I'm going to work." I turn my back to throw some bacon onto the grill, but really I turn because I don't want to see the smile fall from his face.

"Lizzie, don't be stupid here. He fucking attacked you. He could have killed you. I don't think you should be going into work for a while. At least until we've either reported this to the police or... I have settled the score." He sips his tea and leans back in the chair.

"I'm not being stupid. I know he attacked me, but he's a coward. Trust me, he won't be back. He's never had anyone stand up to him before, especially not me. Anyway, I love my job and he's not taking one more thing from me... ever." I crack the eggs and place them in the pan as I talk. I still don't look at him.

"As for the police, at the minute I don't want to go. I don't want to open up those wounds and live through it all again. There will be no evidence of abuse for the police to use. I'm sorry to say that I was very good at covering for him. As for you, there will be no settling of any scores... I've already won." I turn to smile at him.

"Lizzie, I need to do something. He hurt you while your mine... have you any idea how that makes me feel." He tries to sound calm, but I can hear the edge to his voice.

"Yes, I understand. But Daniel, I don't want you to do anything... but be with me." I shrug like it is that simple.

"I want revenge for you Lizzie, please understand that. I'm no fighter, but I want to inflict so much fucking pain on him that he begs for forgiveness."

"Oh Daniel, my love. Don't you see that you are my revenge! Me being happy... in love... living my life... with you is the best possible revenge I could ever have."

I see a glimmer of a smile as I place his breakfast down in front of him and kiss him gently.

******

It is now Friday and my life feels like it is finally on track. I practically float out of work and see his car waiting for me. There is now a sting to the autumn air and I pull my coat tighter round me as I walk.

"How's your afternoon been?" He asks as soon as I get in the car. I kiss him deeply and he then pulls out into the traffic.

"Very productive. My landlord was very understanding. Luckily the other flat I liked is still available, so he's letting me simply swap without any penalties. I can move next weekend."

"I still don't understand why you don't just move in with me." He answers me flatly and I know he is still upset about it.

"Daniel, we've been through this! I can't live with you in your and Lucy's marital home. I can't ever make that house my own. I know I sound petty, but I just would never be comfortable there. Whereas you can stay in my new flat whenever you like." I wink at him, trying to lighten the mood. "How was your day?"

"Even more productive than yours." He winks at me.

"How so?" I know he's up to something.

"Had a meeting with my agent and hopefully lining up some new projects. All very exciting. Oh... and I put the house on the market." He grins at me.

"You what?" I'm so shocked, I practically scream at him.

"Well, you hate it and I have never been bothered about it. I can't even be arsed to redecorate, so that shows how I feel about it. Agent said there is a lot of interest already and the pictures haven't gone out yet."

"You sure about this? Thought you couldn't do anything unless your divorce was final."

"Lawyers said it could go on market, but just got to make sure I don't spend any of my own fucking money before the final hearing..." I know he's alluding to the fact that she could get half of everything.

"Have you got a date yet?"

"Nope, but been told it'll be soon. Then we can really move on!"  He beams at me and I grin straight back.

- hey. I know the last few chapters have been pretty heavy, so what do you think about this chapter?

Can't wait to read your comments. Thank you so much for your continued support. Please press the little star if you like it -