Chapter 1

20th June 2012

I briefly glance in the rear view mirror, careful not to make eye contact with myself when retouching my pink lipstick. My hand trembles uncontrollably, so I give up. I sit perfectly still, listening to my galloping heart. This is my big return to work following what my husband calmly calls the accident. I laugh bitterly at the empty shell that my life has become. But now, I feel ready to get back to work to try and fill my mind with anything but the abyss.

Pulling onto the car park just after 8am, I notice that the only cars here are Ed's black BMW and his Personal Assistant Emma's red Ford. My heart sinks because I was hoping more people would be here already. Ed has no idea I'm planning on returning to work today as he flatly refuses to talk about it at home. I think he has enjoyed the fact that I haven't left the house in months.

I enter the building and walk through the silent reception area, decorated in cold grey and chrome. At the top of the stairs I catch my reflection in the mirror. Nervously, I attempt to smooth my navy shift dress and steady my breathing. My hand instinctively falls over my side, and I try to ignore the pain that still emits like a pulse.

Forcing myself to keep moving, I can see that Ed's office blinds are shut. There is a sign on the door that says, 'meeting in progress'. For a second I'm unsure what to do, but I listen intently and hear nothing. So, taking a breath, I knock the door. After a brief pause, I'm ready to open it and face him.

Tentatively, I pull at the door handle, but then I'm immediately frozen in place for what seems an eternity. I watch as Emma sits straddled across my husband, her dress crumpled around her waist, kissing him deeply. I am unable to comprehend the sight in front of me. His traitorous eyes suddenly lock with mine and they widen in realisation that I'm here and complete horror.

Unable to form words, or even begin to process what is happening, I simply turn and march out of the door. I can hear him screaming my name, but I keep walking.

When I reach the stairs I hear an unnatural noise. It takes me a few seconds to realise that the noise is coming from me. My knees begin to buckle as I descend the stairs, but I force myself to keep going. I need to get out of here and into the fresh air... the walls feel like they are closing in on me.

Once I reach the bottom of the stairs, Ed is right behind me. He cuts me off and grabs the tops of my arms, forcing me to look up at him. I try but fail to slap his arms away.

"How could you?" I scream, but he is too strong. "Get off me." The fact that I am fighting back startles him and he almost loses his grip on my arms.

"I can explain... let me explain." He desperately pleads with his eyes wide.

I continue to struggle, but a shooting pain ripples across my stomach taking my breath away. I quickly submit. Ed must then see the agony on my face because he abruptly releases me. His traitorous eyes fill with tears, but for the first time tears will not work. Nothing will work.

"I want a divorce." Surprisingly, it comes out of my mouth much calmer than I expected. I almost sound composed. Ed clasps his hands to his face dramatically, and lets out a dramatic sob. He shakes his head violently while he sinks to his knees in front of me. I stand as still as a statue, my mind whirling about what to do next.

"No Elizabeth, I won't let you do this. I love you." He sobs loudly as he clings to my dress like a child.

We hear the door open at the top of the stairs and turn to see Emma standing there, wide eyed. In a flash, Ed immediately regains his composure and rises to his feet. He wipes all trace of tears from his handsome face. Swiftly, he smoothes his shirt and clears his throat. The smoothness of his transformation startles me, but I refuse to let it show. He focuses his cold eyes on me, ignoring the person who has no idea that she has unlocked the door to the cage I've been trapped inside.