Chapter 65

Now I know the truth I have no idea what to do with it. My body feels completely numb. How could she do that to him? Six years of memories had been ripped from him in one night. The constant betrayal and the fact that she had an abortion is possibly the worst thing I could have imagined being in that damned report. The sheer magnitude of her deceit is far beyond what I thought anyone would be prepared to do to their partner. I feel the hurt he must have been through deep in my heart, and vividly remember the desperation I saw in his eyes in Dubai.

No wonder he reacted the way he did, he must of been questioning whether anything was real in his life. He didn't say it in his letter, but at the time, he must have been wondering whether we were even real.

The fact that she was able to deceive him because he loved her, well... I can understand that. Although Ed and I had completely different circumstances, I certainly understand being blindsided by someone you trusted.

I finally understand why he would shut me out because it's exactly how I felt about letting him in. He must have been terrified that I would do the same thing. That I would abandon him too. We have so much more in common than I ever imagined.

"Oh Daniel." I sigh. I cannot help but still wish that he would have confided in me because I could have made him see that everything was going to be alright.

My thoughts are abruptly brought to an end when I hear his name being called. He steps out looking as gorgeous as ever, but I can still see the dark circles through the stage makeup they have used. The cut above his eye has been expertly covered, with just the slightly swollen area visible. His eyes have a deep profound sadness within them as I study the screen in front of me. He is wearing a dark blue suit with a light blue shirt, no tie. I look closely and see the edges of my cufflinks beneath the jacket, and I can't help but smile through my tears.

He completes a normal interview about his latest project and I'm captivated by how at ease he appears. I begin to think I must have misheard him last night because he hasn't mentioned anything out of the ordinary. There is no secret code embedded in this interview. It then becomes clear by the questions asked about future movies that the interview is coming to an end.

I start to reread his letter again, thinking the host is going to move on because he turns his attention back to the singer. But when I look up at the TV, I see Daniel take a deep breath and then he interrupts the host.

"Sorry to do this, but can I just say something to someone who is hopefully watching tonight?" He looks apologetically at the host.

"Yes, of course." The host looks bewildered, but gestures for him to continue.

"Which camera?"

"Number four." He answers and points.

Here we go, I think. My heart immediately begins to pound in my chest while I wait with baited breath to hear what he has to say to me in front of millions of strangers. He looks straight into the camera, directly into my soul. He pauses, adjusts the buttons on his suit jacket and takes a second to compose himself.

"I just want to take this time to set something straight. I've become aware of completely false reports about me and the woman I love through various media outlets. It seems the press have decided, wrongly may I add, that I ended my relationship with her because she was too ordinary to be with me." Daniel laughs without humour and shakes his head. "The truth is that there is nothing ordinary about her. In fact, she is the most extraordinary woman I have ever met. I wanted to come out here and let you all know the truth, so there is no need for the press to report false claims. Yes, I ended the relationship but it was through no fault of hers. I was stupid, selfish and insecure. I have regretted my actions every second since and would move Heaven and Earth to put it right."