Chapter 19

I wake to a drizzly summer morning; the damp and dark start to the day matches my mood perfectly. The last echoes of my nightmare leave my body and slowly my heart rate returns to normal. After my run I make my way to work and keep myself busy. Despite the amount of work I have to get through, the day drags relentlessly. Just after lunch I get a text from Daniel.

Think we need to talk. Can I pick you up from work? D x

I stare at the screen. This is it I tell myself, he's had a little bit of insight of what my life was like and now he's ending it. My heart sinks at the realisation that he does not want to deal with my baggage, but then again why should he? He doesn't need to – he could have anyone he wanted. My Prince Charming is running for the hills... so much for my fairytale.

I hold my head up high when I walk out of my office building. Daniel is waiting in his car and I can see while I approach that he looks nervous. The sense of foreboding threatens to overwhelm me, but I force a smile and take my seat on the passenger side. Other than our polite greetings to each other, we drive in silence through the busy London streets towards Daniel's house. The sky is still overcast and dismal, but at least it's stopped raining for now.

Daniel parks on his driveway and I wait for him to open the door for me. I don't want to meet his eyes when I step out.

"We need to talk. Let's go for a walk." My heart sinks as I take his hand and allow him to lead me onto the street. After a few minutes we turn off the street into a park in silence and the knot in my stomach grows until it feels like I will explode. Daniel looks tense, his jaw set into a firm line. My mind wonders unexpectedly to the last few months of my marriage and how isolated I felt. I've only known Daniel for a few weeks, but the thought of being without him crushes me more than when I discovered Ed cheating on me. I shudder at the thought. "Are you cold?" Daniel puts his arm around me and rubs my arms.

"No, I'm OK." I know I have made a huge mistake allowing myself to feel again.

We reach a bench and Daniel gestures for me to sit down. I do so reluctantly because I'd rather be standing for this. He takes both of my hands and looks at me seriously.

"OK." He exhales as if finding the courage to speak. "Look Lizzie, our lives are completely different-" With that, I don't want to hear any more and I need to take control. I cut him off.

"You knew how different we were from the beginning. You knew I was ordinary and I never pretended to be anything I'm not. You're the one who pursued me and I knew you'd get bored or leave me once you knew a bit about my past, but I let it continue anyway. Just look at us, this could never work. But you have been unfair, the way you are with me-" I can't bring myself to finish the sentence because I can feel the lump rising in my throat, so I stand up and try to retain the little dignity I have left. Daniel shoots up and tries to take my hand, but I pull away and start walking. He calls my name, but I carry on walking.

Daniel runs in front of me and grabs me by the shoulders to make me stop. I meet his eyes and he looks alarmed and confused.

"What the hell are you talking about?" He utters in frustration. "You're so bloody stupid. Lizzie, I'm not ending it ... I've been working up the courage to ask you to take some time off work and come to L.A. with me." I stare at him wide eyed, unable to comprehend what he has just said. I feel all the strength leave my body when he takes me in his arms. "Oh Lizzie." He sighs into my hair. "I think you're the most extraordinary women I've ever met." He stands back and lifts my chin so I have to look up at him. "You're beautiful inside and out and I know I don't deserve you, but I cannot let you go. I care about you so much it frightens me. I've already said that I'm here for you, even if you don't want to confide in me about your past. If you're ever ready to tell me, I promise that I will still be here. Nothing could scare me away. Have I ever given you any indication that I wanted to end this between us?" I sigh, knowing how much his opinion of me would change if he knew the truth and decide to concentrate on his question.