Chapter 57

I cannot believe that it is Daniel on the line. My brain refuses to process what the hell is going on. I shake my head, forcing myself to focus. I haven't got time to think about him now.

"OK, bye." I pretend to turn the phone off and lower it to my side, but I leave it on like Daniel asked. "Caroline is on her way." I sigh heavily. "Haven't you had your fun? Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"I had it all worked out. We were going to work together and I was going to win you back." He looks completely serious, almost sincere.

I remain frozen to the spot and I take the opportunity to study him intently. Although he is in a three piece suit, he doesn't look as crisp as he normally does. Where his hair is usually groomed to perfection, it looks wild and unkept. He clearly hasn't shaved for a few days, which is unlike him. The knot of his tie has been pulled slightly to the side, so it hangs crookedly down his white shirt.

"I don't know what else to do Elizabeth. I've tried being reasonable, I've tried talking to you, I've tried working with you... I just don't know what else is going to convince you." He raises both arms to shoulder height, shrugs dramatically and then slams his hands down back against his thighs.

"Convince me of what?" I keep my voice steady. If Daniel really is on his way then I just need to keep Ed calm and talking.

"To be my wife again." He looks at me desperately and then rubs his hands down the length of his face. "I need you."

I know my eyes must give me away, but I try to remain perfectly calm like this is a normal conversation. "Ed, please. This has to stop. I will never be your wife again. Please, you need to realise that nothing is going to change. You have to stop all this, move on with your life." I plead with him.

He completely ignores me, like I haven't said a word. "The only thing left is to force you..." He looks me straight in the eyes quizzically, trying to gage my reaction. I try not to show that I feel sick to my stomach and keep my face neutral.

I know I need to think cleverly here. I guess I'm out of time for talking calmly. My mind is whirling at a hundred miles an hour trying to think of a way to make him see that this needs to stop.

I don't want another fight with him if I can avoid it, but I'm ready to if he so much as touches me.

Here goes nothing...

"If you touch me, I swear I will go to the police." I speak confidently, but my voice is intentionally soft.

He chuckles. "Really? I doubt that very much, my love."

"I mean it. I will tell them everything... everything you did to me... what you did to my baby. I will not leave a secret untold." My voice is a lot steadier than my galloping heart.

"Nothing but empty threats. You were always so good at excuses and explanations... there will be no evidence, nothing but your word against mine." He grins devilishly at me.

"Oh, I have proof." I lie. Think, think, think Lizzie. I plead with myself to articulate something that is plausible. "I may have been good at making excuses for your abuse, but I was also very good at keeping a record of what you did just in case I ever needed it." Now I have him. I see that his eyes have widened just a little. The confident look and his smug grin have disappeared from his face.

I look down at my phone and see that it is still on the call to Daniel. I have no idea how far away he is or how long it will take him to get to me. I need to keep talking.

"You see I kept a diary of every nasty, humiliating and spiteful thing you ever said to me in public. So there will be dates, places and witnesses that will be able to say they were there. Then there are the photos... hundreds of photos. Pictures of bruises, finger marks, split lips, and black eyes. Oh, lets not forget a broken nose, cracked ribs, broken fingers, being impaled or a broken fucking jaw. Then there will be the medical records, better not miss those off the list."