Chapter 37

Daniel turns up at my building demanding to be let in. I panic, I can't face this now. I turn to Caroline.

"I know I'm going to have to speak with him. But I just can't process it all today. My head is fucked... I just can't hear his excuses when I'm covered in these marks. He's going to want to know what's happened and..." I can't even finish the sentence.

The buzzer rings continuously.

"You're not going to deal with it today. You're in no state to be dealing with his shit... how dare he come here after I told him to stay away." She is shouting and her hands are shaking as she speaks.

Caroline opens my front door. "Stay here." She commands and I just nod and stay where I am. She then marches out onto the street below to confront Daniel.

I try not to, but she is so long out there I find myself watching out of my bedroom window. I can see that Daniel is pacing the pavement, while Caroline firmly stands her ground with her arms folded. She stays still and blocks his entry to the door. Caroline is scary when she is angry and I almost feel sorry for Daniel.

When Caroline returns I put the kettle on a make us a drink.

"Did you hear any of that?"

"No, I saw you two for a little bit though."

"He wants me to pass on a message..."

"OK. Let's hear it." I know it's only fair for me to listen to whatever he has said because I don't want Caroline in the middle of this.

"I'm just going to tell you what he told me... Kimberly Summers has been cast in his new film. It's only a small part. He said he didn't mention it because it's unlikely that they will ever be on set at the same time."

I roll my eyes. I hate that bitch.

"He said he didn't mention it because he only found out last week and he didn't want to cause anymore upset once Ed had reappeared." She lets out a sarcastic laugh and shakes her head.

"Daniel said he had been reassured by the director that she wouldn't be there last night. But allegedly she arrived late and she was drunk. Supposedly, he did not spend any time with her all night."

I sit there, biting my nail. I'm trying not to react and just listen. The truth is I feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

"Apparently, the guys who he was sharing a taxi with offered to take her back to her hotel because of how drunk she was. They were all worried what would happen if they left her."

"OK, still doesn't explain the photographs though does it? Has he forgotten that bit?"

"He is adamant that he has been set up because there were five other people in the taxi and he simply walked her into the lobby. He said that he immediately left to rejoin the others in the taxi. Daniel said that he will be able to prove it soon and pleaded with me to make sure that you didn't give up on him." I can see from the softening of her eyes that she believes him. "Lizzie, he looked devastated."

"He's an award winning actor Caroline. I'm pretty sure he can play any emotion on cue." I answer as coldly as I can muster.

"OK. OK... But if it's true about Kimberley, why is he bothering to try?" I don't have an answer to that, but he was with her when Ed was attacking me. I know it was my fault I was on my own, but the realisation that he was with her cuts me more deeply than I wish to accept. My head is such a mess.

Caroline decides that I should stay with her tonight. She packs a few of my things while I just sit there staring at the TV, but not really watching it. Once we are ready to leave, Caroline hands me my high neck wrap cardigan.

"Put that on Lizzie, you can see the marks on your neck and wrists in that blouse." It's a little warm to wear the cardigan, but I know she is right.

"Thanks Hun." I gratefully take it and put it on. It's covers all the evidence of mine and Ed's reacquaintance.

We step onto the street and Daniel jumps straight out of a car I haven't seen before. He tries to approach me.

"Lizzie please, just let me explain." He pleads.

"For fuck sake Daniel. I told you to give her today." Caroline screams at him, but he doesn't even look at her. He's obviously in the dark about Ed so doesn't understand why I can't deal with it all now.

My legs are trembling at the sight of him, he looks frantic. "I can't do this today Daniel." I force myself get into the car while Caroline still stands between us.

"Just give her today Daniel... please. Just today." Her voice has softened and he steps back admitting defeat... for now.

I lock the door and watch as Caroline gets into the driver's seat next to me. She squeezes my hand reassuringly. We drive away but I can't help but glance in the wing mirror. I watch as Daniel put his head in his hands, still standing in the middle of the street.

By the time we get to Caroline's flat Sarah is waiting for us. She engulfs me in a tight hug. Strangely she is quiet for once and just holds me, which isn't like her at all.

We watch chick flicks and drink wine for the rest of the afternoon. I'm content to be in the company of my two best friends again. I make Sarah tell me all about her holiday with Andy. I force myself to smile at how happy and settled she is for the first time in her life. She promises that we will meet Andy over the next few days and I make a bad-timed joke about waiting till my bruises fade. I laugh, but I'm the only one.

I know I will have to deal with Daniel tomorrow, but I'm trying to block it all out... just for today. My head feels like it will explode and my whole body aches terribly.

As I change for bed Sarah walks into Caroline's spare room. She sits next to me on the bed. She looks at all of my bruises carefully and then starts to quietly cry. I wrap my arms around her and comfort her.

"I'll be OK Sarah, they will heal."

"Fucking hell, sorry. You shouldn't be the one comforting me. I'm here for you. Just don't know what I'd do without you that's all. I bloody love you, you stupid cow." I am so surprised by Sarah's real emotion for once.

"I'm not going anywhere and I love you too. Ed won't be back I don't think. He's always been used to me rolling over and I've never stood up to him before."

"I think you should go to the police."

"I need to think about it. I might report it, but then I don't think I want to go through it all. I would have to relive everything that he did, everything that happened and I'm not sure I could."

"OK, no pressure. But let me take some pictures of what he's done, just in case you're ever ready to go. OK?"

"OK." I agree and let Sarah take countless pictures of the hideous marks on my body.

"I'm not going to mention Daniel tonight. I understand that it's all too much today, but we need to talk about it in the morning. OK?"

I just nod in response.

Sarah stays with us. She sleeps in the same bed as me in my old room. I don't sleep at all, my mind spiralling towards madness at a thousand miles an hour. But I listen to Sarah's steady breathing next to me and I lie still so she won't know that I'm dying inside.

- hey. What do you guys think of this chapter? Think Lizzie is a little broken by it all happening at once?

Please let me know what you think and don't forget to vote -