22 - Sparkles in the Eyes

*IMPORTANT* Read the excerpt down below!!!

Chapter Twenty-Two Sparkles in the Eyes

It had been a few weeks since the road trip. Christmas had come and gone, and it was now January. I had managed to keep a low profile and convince Paul that I hadn't been talking to Kyan at all. Reece and Brynn were the happiest cutest couple you could imagine.

The school was hyped for the winter formal. A date hadn't been set, whispers hadn't even been heard if one was even planned, but they had one every year. So, it was to be expected. Paper snowflakes and blue ribbon lined the walls and ceilings of the school, preparing for the festivities of Christmas which had already passed, and of course the Formal.

It was already third period and I was heading to class, it was the only class where all six of us were together in the same class, for a whole hour. I took a seat and soon the whole group shuffled in through the door. There was a seat for each one of them around me, accept for one. A student with bleached-blonde hair sat at a desk near me. Jax loomed over him and with the thrust of his chin and a glare, the kid scrambled out of the seat.

"Good morning class. I have a special announcement and project for you today." Mrs. Sherman announced "for your project I want you all to plan and decorate the entire winter formal. And since I imagine most if not all of you will be attending this year, I want you to conduct some research in the field. Which means you all will be required to attend the Formal."

Mrs. Sherman taught sociology. The project was probably conducting interviews, gaining feedback, learning what kids wanted to experience at the dance, and how well we followed through. It sounded like the project was worth a lot of points. Which meant a decent boost in my grade. However, would that be enough to convince Paul to let me go?

The bell rang indicating the end of school, the halls were alive with the hustle and bustle of students crowding around each other trying to leave. I felt someone sling their arm around me.

"How are you gonna convince Paul to let you go to the Formal?"

I answered Kyan "he values my grades a lot, if he knows that its required and is worth a lot of points, I'm sure he'll let me go."

Kyan gave me a pointed look.

"Maybe." I mumbled.

"Well that dirt-bag better let you go. Because if he does, were gonna have a lot of fun."

The wind pressed against my face as we stepped outside. The air was fresh, just like the new year. I could smell the rain, that was brimming the clouds getting ready to pour over and flood the streets of our small town. We walked towards Kyan's car and he pulled the passenger door open for me.

"Why thank you, kind sir." I smiled at him.

He smirked back "Chivalry isn't dead yet."

Every day Kyan gives me a ride home from school, and stops about a block from my house and lets me get out so I can walk the rest of the way. It hides the fact that we're still friends and still talk to each other, from Paul. If Kyan arrives home ten minutes or so before I do, its unsuspecting.

So, as he usually did, Kyan dropped me off around the block and sped off in his usual fashion, leaving me alone as the rain started to drizzle. It wouldn't be long until the sun would set, hopefully I would make it home before then.

A couple weeks ago Kyan had bought me a cheap phone to replace the one Paul broke. I used it to take pictures of every bruise, cut, scrape or form of physical harm that Paul gave me, just as Kyan had told me to. I just hoped that it would work. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and I suppose the son of a cop would know a little bit about a lot.