21 - A House of Cards

Chapter Twenty-One- A house of Cards

I stood outside my house, at the edge of my driveway on the side walk. The boys had left a while ago, Kyan had gone with them, they had mentioned something about going to the movies and asked if I wanted to come. I had kindly declined and said that I had some studying to do. Which of course was a lie, I just didn't want to spend any more time with Kyan. I had already spent hours with him in a car, neither of us saying a word to each other, which was awkward enough.

I took a deep breath as I stepped forward, I didn't want to step foot into that house. It felt like I was living in a house of cards, that was moaning and creaking, getting ready to all fall over. But I had already been standing outside for too long. I didn't want to stand outside for much longer, it was freezing, and I wasn't sure when Paul was coming home. I wanted to be unpacked and unsuspecting by the time he came home. I walked up the path to the front door avoiding the icy spots and pulled out my key and unlocked the door.

I pushed my front door open, which felt abnormally heavy and slammed it shut. It was around half passed two in the afternoon, and it was dead silent in my house. Mom should have been home by now.

"Mom?" I called out, I was greeted by silence, "I'm home!"

I kicked my shoes off at the door and turned around. There he stood, in the shadows of the kitchen doorway, eyes gleaming at me. Paul. The devil was home. I felt my heart quicken and my breathing become heavy as I glanced at my luggage. There was no excuse that had entered my mind that was strong enough to defend myself against him. It was exactly what it looked like.

I heard rustling next to Paul, and my mother, beaten to a pulp rounded the corner. Tears spilled from her swollen purple eye, her lip was cut, and a small bump had appeared on her right cheekbone.

"Paul." She croaked "don't hurt her, its my fault."

"You're right. It is your fault." Pauls' voice was low, "So you think that you can do whatever you want? You think that you don't have to obey orders. You have no respect."

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Sorry for what? For making a fool out of me by waiting till I leave to disobey me. Sorry for thinking that you wouldn't get caught?" Paul's eyebrows rose "you want to know why it is that you got caught? I was coming home early so that I could spend some quality time with you. I was doing something nice! For you! And this is what your doing behind my back?"

Paul began to move forward, to move closer to me. I could hear my mom crying behind him. He stopped right in front of me, his shoes touched my bare toes.

"Give me your phone."

My hands shook as I pulled my cellphone out of my pocket, I stretched it forward. He grasped it out of my hands. I felt his finger under my chin, lifting my head up till my eyes met his. His eyes were soft, his thumb stroked my chin, and for a moment I thought he wouldn't hit me.

His hand rose, and I flinched back, I heard a loud smash as something broke into piece and scattered across the floor. He had smashed my phone onto the ground. I looked into his eyes, they were no longer soft, but hard as steel as he stared down at me. Then suddenly my head was swimming as everything went black.

I sat on my bedroom floor in a pool of blood. I leaned against my bed, my head was pounding and it hurt to move. Paul had really done a number on me. I'd never been in this bad of shape before. I had a cut across my eyebrow, and my lip was busted. I had bruises lining my wrists and legs. My breathing was shallow, my eyelids were half closed, I could feel myself slipping into unconsciousness, for the second time.