16- Survivor

(^Picture above is Jax Caster played by Nicholas Hoult^)

WARNING: This chapter contains some depressing content and also some abusive aspects. 

Chapter Sixteen

The week had flown by exceedingly fast. It was already Thursday, and we had one period left in school. We all sat around outside leaning against the side of the school. Snow had started falling and it was expected to keep snowing all weekend. Brynn really enjoyed her stay here, aside from Reece.

Reece hadn't left her alone since he learned who she was. He had started coming around more and hanging out a lot more, talking flirting, the whole nine-yards. Kyan stood around with the boys smoking a cigarette. I found myself constantly looking around; if a teacher saw us we'd all get suspended. And I wasn't even smoking.

I looked at Kyan for a moment. He stood with his back against the cold bricks of the school building. He wore another Calvin Klein shirt, white with black box lettering. His jeans were dark and worn in some places, his shoes were a pair of Vans and he had on a grey hoodie a black leather jacket. His hair swept over to the side, and was in major need of a trim. His crystal blue eyes shined and popped through the haze of snowflakes.

I watched his eyes slowly glide over to me, and I looked to the ground, shoving my boot around in the snow. I could feel his smirk burn in my head. I felt a warm blast of air brush across my face and the sweet yet overpowering smell of smoke fill my nose. And when I looked up, there he was. Right in front of me. The look on his face was enough to stop my heart from beating like a freight train. It was like everything froze in the freezing wind, even my breath. His eyes were slightly hooded, as he looked down at me from beneath his bushy eyebrows. His lips were softly pursed, defining his jaw line and cheek bone even more. His cheeks were rosy and his eyes held a form of desire. Almost lust. If I hadn't known any better, I'd say he was about to kiss me.

He glides an arm around my shoulders and I can't help but flinch slightly at the physical contact. He drops his cigarette to the ground and grinds it into the snow with his boot. As the wind picked up, I got the slightest whiff of his cologne. It was something, almost citrusy, but also spicy, aromatic. It was enticing and left me wanting to smell it again.

"So," I began his voice low "I thought of an idea to make it up to you. Getting you drunk that is, a way to make it up to you."

"Oh?" I asked as I struggled to keep my body upright.

"Yeah, me and the guys chipped in to get rent out this little cabin out in the woods. It would just be the six of us over the weekend. We'll pick you up, tomorrow after school."

I opened my mouth and snapped it shut again. What was I supposed to say? He went through all this trouble, for me, and I was about to turn him down?

"Ah man, that sounds fun. I'd love to, but I'm not sure if I can. Can I get back to you?" I ask awkwardly as I step away from him, to face him head on.

He looks a bit stunned for a moment before he shakes his head "Yeah. Yeah of course, go ahead."

I smiled up at him, real big as I turned away, leaving him dazed and speechless as the snow drifted down around him. After last period Kyan took Brynn and I home. The snow hadn't let up and the ground was now covered in almost three inches of snow. I thanked him for the ride and went inside with Brynn in tow. We made our way up to my room and closed and locked my door.

"What are you gonna do?" Brynn asked as she flopped down on my bed.

I leaned in the doorway to my bathroom as I faced her "I don't know. I don't want to turn him down but I must. I can't sneak out of the house and be gone all weekend! It's impossible. But what do I tell him?"