Chapter Seventy-Four: Knock Knock

Start from the beginning

I widen my eyes, panicking. Shit, busted. "Um, sir?"

"And just where do you think you've been?"

"I'd like to think I'd be in bed," I say lightheartedly, but Coach is having none of my humour this morning. "Sorry."

"Where have you been, Miss May?" he scowls.

"R-right," I stutter, "um, you see, Coach, I had a sweet tooth and wanted a chocolate bar so I went to the vending machines–"

"And where is this said chocolate bar?"

I look down at my hands and mentally facepalm when they're empty. Couldn't have thought of anything better, could you, Brooklyn? "Um–ugh–I didn't have enough money?"

Coach scowls at me again before finally giving up and turning to look at my roommates. Maya seemed to make it here quicker than I did, somehow. "Practice in an hour. Be there."

We all nod with a, "Yes Coach," before he leaves, looking at me once more as he closes the door behind him.

I let out a huge sigh of relief when he finally leaves us, and I see all my roommates staring at me. "Well that was close!"

Nobody says anything.

"What?"

"You're glowing," Carly comments.

"I'm always glowing," I point out.

"No, this is different," Becca replies.

"Yeah, you look exactly like me when I starting dating Lance."

I shrug innocently. "Symptoms of the Honeymoon Phase?"

"Oh, honey, this is a lot more than the Honeymoon Phase," Maya scoffs.

"Oh yeah?" I say challengingly. "Then what exactly is it that I'm glowing about?"

Maya grins knowingly. "Little Miss May here let the flower die."

I widen my eyes, nearly sputtering and choking over my own CO2. "Excuse?"

"She's finally a woman," she continues to tease.

"I already was a woman," I mumble. Besides Landon and my L.A. friends, Maya is the only one that knew I had relapse sex with my ex.

Maya rolls her eyes and grins cheekily. "Do you want a sundae to go with that popped cherry?"

"Maya!"

"Brooklyn!" I turn my head to see Carly and Becca looking at me wide-eyed as they yell at me all at once.

"What!" I exclaim sheepishly, a deep blush forming on my cheeks.

"Give us details!" Carly squeals.

"I can't, we have practice!" I protest, hoping to find any loophole to get me out of this embarrassing situation. I'm not embarrassed at all about what happened last night, I have no regrets, but having to explain it in front of three girls, two of whom are way too squeal-y about boys and crushes and all, it admittedly makes me feel sheepish and shy. I know that Carly and Becca have had their spotlight and don't even get me started on Maya and Lance, but to the two girls, this is my first time.

To me, it's actually my first sober, non-relapsed-consenting time having sex. It feels a lot like a first time should be, minus the awkwardness, but constant reminders of how foolish I was the first time always makes me feel guilty.

Landon hasn't commented on anything, or even my past, but sometimes I can't help but think that he might feel dirty with me because he'd be getting Taylor's sloppy seconds. He probably doesn't, since he isn't that kind of person, but I still think about it. We were broken up, so it wasn't cheating, but it felt like it to me because it was right after we split, and even though my withdrawals were messing with my thinking really bad, I know I consented with Taylor, just regretted it during and after.